Finally pushing for sobriety

Hello everyone,

I am a 33 year old married woman and a mother of 5. I have struggled off and on with a couple addictions. But none have I ever allowed to go too far. I always fought my way out of it on my own and for that, I am very proud of. What I am not proud of, about 6 months after the birth of my twins, I started again. A couple glasses of wine to help me relax and sleep at night when all the children were in bed. And every day since then it has escalated, then I would taper back, and go right back up. It has been 3 years now that I have been struggling with this incessant addiction. No matter how I tried to fight the urge, the darkness always drew me back in.

Recently, I had an argument with my mother, which via text, I said some very hurtful things. My husband has been begging me to gain control. But he has stopped since it makes me angry. It is just a crutch I have held onto to cope with my unfulfilled life. And although I know it is me who needs to find good to fill it with. It’s still a challenge. I have explained to others it almost feels like kissing a toxic boyfriend good bye. Codependent and heart wrenching. Maybe that’s sounds crazy.

Anyways… Here I am… Accepting my sobriety journey. I made the decision finally… I just need to grow the strength to hold onto it.

16 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman:
Welcome to the community.
When we give up our addictions it can and does feel like grieving a loss for some of us.
You can get that control back, sometimes when its us with the addiction we cant see how bad it is until we get out of it.
Break that viscous cycle :slightly_smiling_face: you can do this !

5 Likes

Knowing alcohol sucks is one thing, accepting it is another. Sounds like you are ready. Welcome to TS.

3 Likes

It is exactly like that. Addiction is that voice whispering “c’mon, things’ll be fine this time, just one, let’s go”, and it’s lying. It’s deceiving you.

This is the point where you open your eyes and get free. Kick that asshole to the curb.

It sounds like you are looking to learn more about getting sober and really recovering your life. That’s awesome :raised_hands:t2: Do you have anything specific you’re looking for? Like podcasts to listen to? Groups? etc

2 Likes

Do you know. What I really need is to switch up my nightly routine. That routine is what triggers my mind to drink. Oddly enough, I do have a lot of support, but in a way where they truly don’t understand addiction. So I end up feeling pushed into it or neglected in other ways.

I thought I was strong enough to trudge through it myself. But after months and countless times of saying im going to do this, and then I fall for that voice in my head. It’s clear I cannot. And my loved ones cannot really help me either.

So yes, I believe a group or community who understands and supports helps. Lately I have been listening to a lot of meditation and yoga nidra. Trying to rid of the self esteem damage this has caused. And I’ve been drinking an astronomical amounts of hot tea :sweat_smile:. I’m thinking the herbs will catch up with me at some point. :rofl: But better than the alternative.

3 Likes

There’s a good yoga thread on here:

Body work: Yoga, Pilates, Movement & Journaling

If you’re looking for somewhere you can talk with people who understand the struggle, there are online options like www.InTheRooms.com or Online meeting resources; there’s also links to a bunch of different groups here: Resources for our recovery

There are general groups and also groups focused on specific types of people (women, minorities, etc), so search around and you’ll find your space. Don’t be afraid to “group-hop” if you want, from one group to another. It’s a bit like a buffet :innocent:

3 Likes

Thank you for these resources, I’ll definitely look into it!! :v::hugs:

3 Likes

You could start going to an online meeting every night (or in person if you prefer). A simple change that gives you somewhere safe to be :innocent:

2 Likes

This is why there are so many meetings after work and in the evening. I love my sober communities. Glad you are here.

2 Likes