Finally seeking community

I am the point where my health will continue to be compromised if I don’t stop drinking. I can go long periods of time and not drink, but it seems that the overwhelming thought to drink always wins eventually. When I do give in , it’s binge drinking. I want to become a better version of myself. I want to say goodbye to hangovers and calling off work. The longest period I went without drinking was 4 months and I felt great. I want to be healthy and train my brain to say no and form healthy habits that keep me occupied. Appreciate any kind words or suggestions.

15 Likes

Choosing to not drink and to find a community here on Talking Sober and in the rooms (check out some of the resources at Resources for our recovery - you’ll definitely live your life with @bettertimesahead - welcome to Talking Sober! :wave: :innocent:

4 Likes

Welcome! Scan through all the great reads here. Reach out when in need. Have you thought about AA or any other programs?

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the resources ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome and we’re here to help you with your thinking problem! Simply don’t listen to you ever again about thinking that drinking is a good idea.
Tell us how you’re feeling and we can help you through the tough times.

Occupy your mind with healthy thoughts and routines that are rewarding. Remember the 4 months and how you felt. Think about it daily. Journal your thoughts and plans of stuff you want to do and be sure to do them!

Hugs to ya friend and please remember we don’t have to or need to drink anymore.

3 Likes

Welcome! You’re amongst friends here. Keep this community close and jump in whenever you’re having those nasty thoughts (and any other time actually). Sometimes an introspective word from someone here is just enough to help get you through that testy day. I guarantee you’ll feel better tmrw that you didn’t give in and drink today.

3 Likes

I am in the exact same boat. I’m so glad to see there’s others that can help. Please feel free to reach me if you need. We can both do this!!

2 Likes

All , it is overwhelmingly joyful to finally speak up and hear from others who can relate. I will be sure to lean into this platform the next time a bad thought arises.

I felt it may be easier to join something online and ease my way to attending a meeting.

The thought of we don’t ever have to drink again is relieving. 25 tomorrow and I want it to be the year I show up for myself !!

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome! We are here to support you on your journey! You deserve the peace and energy that sobriety brings.

Hi, good to see you trying to find connection.
Connection is key in recovery, so that’s why I’m here as well as one of many reasons. This place and the people in it are my sober peer group.
It helps me to build a new sober life with heathier coping strategies. Recovery never stops. So I’m here for many years now. Very grateful for this place.
Have you seen our daily check in thread yet?
It’s a very active thread wich many use here to be accountable for themselfs. Check it out if you are interested.

See you around, you are one of us now!!

1 Like

Welcome to you both, @bettertimesahead and @BradyJones ! TS has been so very helpful to me. I was a chronic relapser before I added this important tool to my sober toolbox. Community is vital…
Glad to have you on board. :peace_symbol::peace_symbol:

2 Likes

@SoberWalker Hey there. I’d like to join this accountability thread. I’m not quite sure how to do it?

1 Like

There is a difference b/w abstinence and recovery.

It sounds like you’ve tried the former. It’s time to try the latter.

3 Likes

That is so truthful and I needed to hear it thank you. :pray:

Click on this link: Checking in daily to maintain focus #67 (Part 39) - #1210 by Just_Laura Scroll downwards and click on “reply” and start typing :wink:

1 Like

1 Like