Gardening In Recovery

They are coming along nice. I haven’t started yet it’s too wet and cold where I’m on the UK ATM.
So I brought a few tomatoe varieties and sunflowers seeds. Just to keep me busy and see how they grow outdoors.
I usually start them indoors but exhausted from moving so going to just see how they do straight outside in a few weeks.
Definitely give your dream a go, it will look beautiful :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

OOH i’m in – tried many times in the past and failed- will try in this new location. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I can’t put giant sunflowers on a fourth-floor window box; I’d have authorities knocking at the door in a minute. I might ask my mum for a corner of her garden, though.

But I’m itching to plant my cherry tomatoes. At the moment I’m drying some seeds out of actual cherries, and I’ll start them indoors this weekend.

3 Likes

Mother’s Day here (mid May) in my growing zone in America is known as the time to be planting. I don’t have a space to start seeds indoors but there are things I can sow in the ground with enough time to grow still here. I usually buy starter plants from local growers at our farmer’s market and have great luck with that. So, still a long ways out for me! I will have lots of prep work to do, though. Building some raised beds and digging up turf for beds in the ground will be a lot of work.

2 Likes

my now seedlings are result of seeds so old I just wanted to see if they are still growable. I would never have expected this outcome! and the notorious lazy ones, even 8 years old, are sprouting a bit. i’ll have a difficult time fostering them till may - here we are also careful because weather can be summerish in march and frosty in april till may :see_no_evil: thank you climate change. at their actual growing rate I’ll have to replant them twice. Challenge accepted, I’ve done a similar chance growing years ago and harvested end of june. They are too healthy to abandon them (I would when they show signs of detoriation due to old seed).
my today check is an old maze variety, harvest 2016. As two colleagues from ARCHE NOAH asked for seed, I check if and how they’ll sprout. I’m a weirdo and and I’m grateful that after years I get back to things I’m good at. Still loving it :grin:

2 Likes

It will be interesting for sure, seeing the difference in growth over the world :earth_americas:.

:sunflower:

2 Likes

if you have space and a sunny window, you can grow 1 sunflower in a pot :blush: one of an old seed seed bag I tried a few years ago survived and was a beautiful indoor plant (was a little one, 60 cm). just sharing, it was a nice new experience then for me.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I can’t help smiling like a little weirdo that some of these old seeds made it to these beautiful seedlings. It’s beautiful to watch how much power some still have allthough their normal period of being germinable is long over. The wonders of nature in a pot :blush:

10 Likes

Every year I grow different flowers in my window box this year I’m growing 5 different Sunflowers :sunflower:

10 Likes

Spring is here …

10 Likes

oh how beautiful!! so pretty :heart:

2 Likes

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::grin::grin::grin::grin:

The seedlings are growing and the big red furball “helps” sorting the seed batches.

Please note that this chilli seedling has been nibbled by Schimanski. The seedling is pretty unimpressed :joy:

9 Likes

Calling fellow gardeners to share :blush:

The jalapenos and physalis grew quite big since repotting them 2 weeks ago.

The old seed batches I sowed sprout in a variety from nope - we are dead to yes, still quite ok. I’ll get a great mix of veggies this year with some surprises as I’m pretty sure some seeds are not the plants written on the bag :grin:

Of course the big red furball is always around :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

omgomgomgomgomg! You leased a piece of land, @Pandita! Exciting! :orange_heart:

If you’re up for it, please post pics here.

I will start my seedlings soon for my wee planter box garden. Spring comes late in Canada, short and sweet growing season! @erntedank, I usually have to rehome some tomato seedlings… will you have any room? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Plenty of room here, tomatoes always welcome :grin:
My seedlings have their first night out on the balcony today. Maybe I need full replacement tomorrow :joy:

2 Likes

Yessss, I am super exited as well! It’s actually a really tiny piece of land in pizza slice shape. So I guess it’s more like urban farming, but none the less, I already love it. Gonna send pictures once the peas and cucumbers and everything goes into the ground. Tomatoes are always welcome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. :tomato::pizza::seedling:

2 Likes

Yes, you gardening folks. Share pictures. I’m not the gardening type - had enough of farm work for my whole life - but I love to see things sprout and grow :blush:

4 Likes

I’m a bit late on the thread here. But We’re usually planting pumpkins every year, and have done for years. Making an even bigger land this year with the goal of making a Halloween pumpkin patch.

My best tips,don’t plant them to close to anything, give them space to climb and make sure that the pumpkins doesn’t lay right on the ground because if it’s to wet they will be rotten.

Pumpkins can handle some frostbite but to many frosty nights will make them bad. If there’s risk for frost or snow you can harvest and take green pumpkins inside and put them on newspapers, in a window sill to ripe.

Good luck :blush:

6 Likes

Oh, pics of a pumpkin patch would be amazing too! I’m guessing that you, like me here in :canada:, have some snow that needs melting before planting can begin? :joy: :jack_o_lantern:

3 Likes