Great Movies/Shows for Recovery 2020 to present

Has anyone here seen “The day the earth stood still” with Keanu Reeves? It’s the first movie I’ve watched while in recovery and I thought it was very fitting. The message is basically that people/humanity changes when we finally reach desperation… when we have finally lost it all is when we reach deep down and change what we have to, to better ourselves and our lives.
It also brings to mind one of my favorite quotes…
" Something very beautiful happens to people when their world has fallen apart : a humility, a nobility, a higher intelligence emerges at just the point when our knees hit the floor." - Marianne Wlliamson
Any other great recovery movie suggestions??

11 Likes

I just watched Kingpin (that 90s comedy with Woody Harrelson) today and at the end, there was a very important lesson that the main character learnt. It’s one that I learnt in sobriety too. It’s the key that has made sobriety easier to achieve for me. Basically, the lesson is, the person responsible for all of my problems is myself.

10 Likes

Thank you… I will definitely be checking it out! I saw it once a long long time ago, but it sounds like it’s worth another watch.

1 Like

Here are a variety of movies regarding trying to get sober…not all are redemption stories however…

The Lost Weekend (old, but a classic)

A Star is Born (has been made 4 times I believe, obviously Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga version is pretty awesome…tho not exactly a redemptive movie)

When A Man Loves A Woman

Leaving Las Vegas (incredibly depressing)

Smashed

Bob and the Monster (I love Bob!!)

Flight (the first time I saw this, I had no idea what it was about…I loved it!!!)

Barfly (I haven’t seen this in years)

The Rose (Bette Midler as Janis Joplin, tho not ‘officially’)…love the theme song

Walk the Line (Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash, nuff said)

Gia (I have always been a little obsessed with Gia, there is a great book on her life as well. This movie stars a young Angelina Jolie, well cast!!)

Drunk

Rachel Getting Married (great book)

28 Days

Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot (another Joaquin Phoenix movie, a great one)

Postcards from the Edge (great book…and great cast!)

16 Likes

Thank you! I have seen some of these, but need to rewatch, and I will definitely be checking out the rest! :blush:

1 Like

I watched dont worry he wont get far on foot…whoa is all I can say. That’s one I wish had seen sooner

4 Likes

I was very pleasantly surprised by that movie!!

1 Like

Has a great cast too

1 Like

Everything must go is also great…stars will farrell

4 Likes

The Goonies!

3 Likes

I’m loving all the suggestions! I’ve always enjoyed watching movies, but it has been far too long since I have actually sat down, watched and enjoyed any. So definitely trying to get caught back up on the old and new. Thanks again and Plz keep 'em coming! :grin::clapper:

51Zt2-krwKL

4 Likes

Oooooooo. We just watched Dr. Sleep. It’s basically The Shining 2. It’s the kid all grown up.
Not sure if it’s a recovery movie. But dude is an alcoholic that gets sober. And kicks some evils ass!!

Great great movie

6 Likes

One I have been dying to see! “The Shining” (original) is one of my absolute favorites! I can’t wait to check this one out :grin:

Oh goodness. Then you MUST see it!! If you are a fan, then It is sooooooo good

2 Likes

It’s one of the top movies on my list now… I had heard about it a while back and completely forgotten… so much thanks! I love love love horror and Stephen King is in fact a “King”

1 Like

Spoiler alert! Geez!

1 Like

Shawshank Redemption
Thanks for Sharing
The Matrix

3 Likes

Great book too!!

1 Like

You might want to read his book, On Writing, which details his own issues with sobriety and recovery.

3 Likes