I Am New to This!

Hi There!
I just took my first step in admitting, out loud, my addiction to another person, which is my therapist. It was difficult. I just don’t know where to start with this. I knew I’ve had a problem for years, yet always had excuses for not really facing it. of course, as we all know, alcohol is a progressive disease, and it really progressed with me during the Pandemic. My husband has become increasingly concerned, as am I. I easily drink a bottle of wine every night, then I finish with a couple of shots of vodka. I forget how/when I go to bed, and when I wake up, it’s pure regret! I have developed a love/hate relationship with alcohol. Facing this is scary…I don’t know how my world will look like without alcohol. Holidays, vacations, social gatherings, DAILY LIFE, etc. My husband and myself have a strong social life and everything around involves alcohol. Our friends love to drink, but they don’t have a problem. They can stop at 2-3 drinks, but I can’t…of course they all see that I have a problem. Its all so embarrassing and shame ridden.
My therapist recommends that I do not quit cold turkey prior to being under my doctor’s care. I have an appointment with her tomorrow.

21 Likes

Hey there and welcome. First, congratulations on admitting it to someone, that’s hard. Second, I’m proud you’re going to the doctor to get their support and advice on your journey everyone is different with their body, age amount they drink and how it will affect them. If there’s one thing I learned, personally, I don’t focus ahead on the vacations or holidays or next weekend, I focus one hundred percent on the moment I’m in and the day I’m in and make sure I make it through that one day and go to bed that day sober. I’m glad you’re here. This place helps me every single day.

14 Likes

Thank You SO much!!! I feel understood here and knowing that I’m not alone in this is comforting. :heart:

8 Likes

Welcome to the community Gretchen. A great first step in admitting an issue with alcohol. So grateful that you are working with a therapist as sobriety is much more than getting rid of alcohol. We re-train our minds and bodies to live a life free of this addiction. An addiction that has been a coping mechanism, a clutch when we are down and something we turn to when we celebrate.

Glad you are going to see a doctor and address how to safely become sober. As Tiffany mentioned, each person is different. The one thing that binds us is our want / need to become sober. Here in this community you are among friends on the same journey who can sympathize and empathize with your journey.

Take time to read around these threads and join in when you feel comfortable. I find the check in thread (Checking in daily to maintain focus #63 is a wonderful place for us to check in and stay accountable. Read other’s daily stories which helps us not feel so alone. I also find that with adding gratitude to my daily routine i am able to more easily deal with my journey. Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #6. Hope you will join us on these and other threads.

a few things that helped me when i started my sober journey…

• sleeping a lot
  • keeping myself busy (games on my phone, cleaning house, puzzles, working out…etc)
  • changing up my daily routines so i would clean late at night when i would normally drink the most or drive a different route so i didn’t pass the liquor store…etc
  • started reading quit lit – some great threads here for books on recovery. my favorite is Quit Like A Woman by Holly Whitaker
  • stocked up with lots of flavored seltzer water
  • your body will crave a lot of sugar at first so i stocked up with ice cream

much love to you on your journey - grateful to have you here with us :hugs:
Edit - adding that this community has been a life savor for me. We do need support as this journey is too tough to do on our own. On line or in person recovery groups can also be helpful.

11 Likes

Hi Gretchen, welcome here!
Your story looks a lot like mine back in my old days. I turned my life around with the help of this app and the people in it.
It’s a very supportive forum and there’s a lot of information to find about how to quit and how to mantain it.
What helped me a lot was to make a sober plan. I shall share mine so you can see what I mean:2 years sober and what helped me to get there: There is also a lot of good reading for you to find here:What's YOUR plan? I’m glad you find us Gretchen, change is coming! You just decided you deserve a better life, and you do!
It’s doable!

Ps if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I know this forum and how it all works can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning :hugs:

5 Likes

Good morning and welcome :hugs:
First i would like to tell you that don’t worry about sharing things and thoughts :slight_smile: I also work with therapist and after sharing her about this app she was very happy that I am here and recommends to share here. You will see that its not scary to have a better sober life :slight_smile: we are more stronger than bottle of alcohol.

5 Likes

Welcome @Gretchen1965
I’m glad that you get medical and therapeutical help on your sober journey. Share your feelings and thoughts, your concerns and joy, your struggles and good times.
Many people had to step back from socializing with alcohol involved at the beginning to protect their sobriety, so that might be a temporary change you also are confonted with. Take it one day at a time, it gets easier when the sober days add up and your sober toolbox gets filled more and more.
Keep us posted.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the family :heartpulse:
Gosh, you’ve already got so many good replies with all the important links to other threads. There is only one thing left for me to add: put “the unexpected joy of being sober” by Catherine Gray on your reading list. You talk about how embarrassing it all is… this book has shown me that being sober doesn’t have to be something to be ashamed of. It can actually be quite an empowering experience.

I hope to see you around in this forum
:squid:

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Gretchen1965
Congrats for making the decision to make a change.
I look forward to your journey to sobriety.
Yes, look forward to yourself sober, like @HolySquid says…
There’s nothing glamorous or alluring or anything good about drinking for anyone in my opinion. It changes behavior and I don’t think really ever for the better.
Feel the power and the joy of sobriety. You will see. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

A cheery welcome to the community @Gretchen1965. You have come to the right place. Admitting to addiction is truly a powerful and liberating step towards sobriety. Definitely something to be proud of! Seeking therapeutic and medical support is also a wise choice, as everyone’s journey is unique and should be as safe as possible. Reading your story reminds me a lot of my own and I look forward to riding alongside you on this journey. All the best!

1 Like

Thank you! I am so grateful for ALL the support I have received on this site since I joined yesterday!
Yes, I think I will need to remove myself from our social circle for a awhile.

4 Likes

Thank You @50ber!

2 Likes

Wow!!! SO many great tips! ALL of you have been so wonderful! Thank You for the support!

3 Likes

Welcome Gretchen. Hope to see you around on the board :heart:

1 Like

Hi Alisa!
Yes, I am really looking forward to this HUGE change in my life! I am learning very quickly from all of you that there is nothing to be ashamed of when admitting I have this addiction.
Thank You for support!
Gretchen

3 Likes

Hi! Thank You! You will! :heart: :

3 Likes

Thank You for the recommendation @HolySquid

3 Likes

Welcome Gretchen.
You’ve come to the right place. Looks like by now you been bombarded with what works for so many loving people on this app.

Being active on this app keeps me sober.

Have a good read around.

Join in when you’re comfortable.

My biggest fear was how am I going to travel, specifically fly, without my booze? Frightening stuff thinking like that :scream: That’ll scare the crap of ya!

I take it one day at a time.
I’m not drinking today. And I’m probably not drinking tomorrow.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
I hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

4 Likes