I’m done with this ce

I always related the way your feeling now to a balloon. The balloon has been filling with restless, irritable, and discontentment and is going to keep filling until you drink. It might let a tiny bit of air out but after that, your filling the same balloon with more restless irritable and discontentment, and all the other garbage feelings that come as a direct result of drinking. I looked at my binges as deflating the balloon. I thought this was a good thing. By doing the work in recovery and working a program of action in the 12 steps of alcoholic anonymous. I have learned that the temporary relief of drinking is no where near as good as the life I have built sober. By living sober, one day at a time the “filling the balloon feeling” I described doesn’t exist anymore. You give your mind and body the much needed time and attention it needs to start filling a different balloon, with love, joy, happiness, and contentment. Don’t get fooled like I did for so many years, thinking “ if I just drink I will feel better right now” doing that Is putting yourself on a path to a steep decline. What are you doing daily to work on your recovery and to enhance your sobriety?

5 Likes

I thought this applied pretty well here :+1:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

You got this Zach, hold strong.

1 Like

Gotta admit, even not being a religious person, the “if they frustrate you, pray for them” thing actually weirdly works for me. I just spend some time consciously wishing them well. Trying to visualize the ways that (even if i’m angry) that I hope they find happiness anyway. Even wish them good luck out loud.

Somehow, I feel better. :man_shrugging: Maybe I can even tolerate them. :joy: One less urge to drink. :+1:

1 Like

That is normal. It’s an emotional buildup. It is temporary though: the pressure feeling is that wave of emotion surging up after years of being buried in alcohol.

In sobriety groups there’s support to share about your experience of course and for the emotion stuff it helps to have someone to talk to. “I feel like I’m going to explode” - just find a space you can talk about that.

Any particular thing you want to explode about? Anything that’s irritating you specifically? It isn’t always specific though. Sometimes you’re just f*cking irritated because life is irritating sometimes.

2 Likes

The other thing is maybe you’re just A) tired and need a break - just some time to not be doing things for people, just rest; and B) grumpy. We all have times when we’re really really irritated.

It’s ok to be tired and to let yourself stop. You don’t have to be doing everything all the time. :innocent:

2 Likes

Hey so that’s great you’re being honest about the pressure building. Addiction thrives on shame and secrecy so it’s great you can admit that it’s getting harder!
What are you doing daily for your recovery? They say we have to invest as much work into our recovery as into our drinking. Just not drinking or white knuckling it won’t cut it for an alcoholic.
Have you been to meetings? Started reading sober literature? Changed people places and things? Started a journal to engage with yourself?
If it is getting harder, you need to add to your personal recovery program to keep up with the challenge. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

My biggest tools are and were psychotherapy, recovery podcasts and biographies. I felt like there were more ppl out there with my problem and it helped me to see others had walked the walk before. I joined this forum after 3 months or so I think, that also became a strong pillar of my sober life.
You need to be working on the reasons of your drinking, buddy. Get honest with yourself and start admitting what you’re drinking at. For me this took months, even years, for the whole pic to emerge. So it’s ok if it takes time. But engaging with yourself and investing in you, that is a must in recovery.

You can do it. I know you can because I did it. We did it.
Resources for our recovery
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

2 Likes

Two weeks was the worst part for me. Urges, happenings and feelings come and go like a roller coaster. Also you’re in the middle of physical withdrawal. Just hang in there Mr. If it was easy everyone would do it.

With you in spirit @Zach2 :muscle:

3 Likes

I am so excited for you! Let me know how you’re doing.

1 Like

I’m glad it works for you! I found that you don’t need to be a religious person for AA’s principles and teachings to work for you. I am more spiritual. I have a higher power who I choose to call God as it is an easier term to use. I am not officiated with any specific religion. But I do believe in a higher power and find it extremely important in my recovery journey. What works for some, might not work for others, but I have found by practicing a more spiritual way of life, which I learned through AA, my life is getting better day by day. One day at a time :+1:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

One day at a time. Today is day 10. Just trying to get through one day at a time right now.

15 Likes

YAY!!! Look at you go! One day at a time is all anyone can do. honestly, sometimes I have to do it minute by minute, hour by hour. Anticipating triggers.
You’re amazing. Keep it up. I’m proud of you!

1 Like

Good for you Zach :+1: Be gentle with yourself. It’s a journey and being kind to yourself is part of the process. It’s ok to admit you’re struggling. It is a hard road for all of us, you included.

1 Like

10 is huge!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Looks like New England, where I grew up!

2 Likes

Hey y’all, just catching up on this thread what amazing work you’re doing Zach!!! I just wanted to chime in to say that a different points in my sobriety twice a day ice cream or mochi or french fries or bubble baths or pastas, have ALL been a thing… For right now all that matters is that you’re working to be sober one day at a time👍🏻

5 Likes

I love those country properties Zach, that’s a beautiful place. Is that your driveway out there?

1 Like

Zach, my experience has been the threat of a relapse happened well in advance. On some level I knew a relapse was imminent. And “surprise”…I relapsed. You are going to get urges…you are going to miss your DOC. The time to plan for those feelings is now. Relapses are NOT a given. They don’t have to happen. You will regret it if you use. That’s pretty much a given.

Stay close. Have a plan. You can do this!

5 Likes

How can we help Zach? What are you actively doing to enhance your sobriety? I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say, we don’t want to see you go back out there. That sh&$ isn’t worth it.

2 Likes

10 is huge! I have been following this but didn’t post yet. You have got this! You are doing great!

1 Like