I’m here, I need help and I need community

Good evening everyone,

You can call me DJ and I’m excited, nervous, and optimistic about being here. Two days ago, I had my most recent rock bottom. Nothing spectacular happened, I just had a few drinks with some friends while watching the sunset. After that, I decided that I wanted to drink more by myself. 8 hours later, I’d made a complete fool of myself on social media and gravely tested my best friend’s patience.

It was then that I had to take a long hard look at my choices and ask what has my addiction done for me? For the past decade, I knew that I had a problem but I never committed to a solution. Because of alcohol I’d lost jobs, opportunities, relationships, even my apartment once. I’d been in fights with bouncers and on two different occasions, tense back and forths with police (thank goodness I’m alive). I would black out and find myself in random beds with men I didn’t know or how I got there in the first place. I tried the patience of my friends and loved ones. Alcohol was actively destroying my life and now for the sake of my potential and my relationships, I’m going cold turkey.

When I’m sober, I’m bookish and over-prepared so yesterday I picked up Catherine Gray’s “The Unexpected Joys of Being Sober” and I am convinced. I have not been able to put the book down so this morning, I announced to my circle that I am going sober and leaving social media. No more rock bottoms. I’ve identified an AA meet up near my house and I’ve sent my therapist a cheat sheet so that we can debrief next week. I exercise regularly and I know I need to pick up my journal to start writing again. I feel armed with knowledge but I’m under no illusion that this will be easy. I will be tested and that is why I need community and support. That’s why I’m here. Nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning from you and hearing your courageous stories.

Thank you,
DJ

56 Likes

Hi DJ!I’m new here too, I’m on my third day, I know exactly what you’re talking about, I deeply understand your feelings about what you went through that evening, I’ve decided to stop for this too! Here you will find beautiful people, ready to help you, many stories, many sensations, I finally feel understood, we still have a lot of work to do, but we will make it, keep us updated, I send you a hug from Italy :heart::people_hugging:

Denise

13 Likes

Sending you the same. Thank you for the warm welcome and I’m wishing us a good path to recovery.

4 Likes

Welcome! Looks like you have a good plan in place.

6 Likes

Welcome! Day 2 here myself after a similar rock bottom experience involving drinking all day by myself after the party was over. There are so many useful tools and stories in this forum, take a good look around and find some which resonate for you! Sounds like you have a great plan in place and as you can see there are a lot of us on the same journey.

8 Likes

Welcome DJ.
This is a great community for support. Lots of great people here all trying not to pick up that first drink.

I came here like you 3 years ago looking for support because I could never do it alone. We are definitely stronger in numbers. I’m very active on here and getting and giving support and celebrating the days we don’t drink keep me sober. Congratulations on 2 days.
I do it One Day At A Time
ODAAT
Have a good read around and join in when you’re comfortable. The lights are always on.
:pray:t2::heart:
Here are two good threads to start:

5 Likes

Thank you! Starting to feel comfortable already. I’ll look at the resources :blush:

6 Likes

Welcome DJ! Great book!! Hope to see you around!!

4 Likes

I’m new too!! I will def check out that book. This forum has been a great support so far… lots of folks at different points of the sobriety journey. This is my second time trying to get sober. My first time was 10 years ago and I lasted six months. I think about all the pain that could have been spared if I’d made it the first time. Really committed now because I’ll be 40 this year and I know I need to turn things around before it’s too late.

11 Likes

Hi DJ, I’m new too here, I’m on my 11 day, welcome to the new world of sobriety…

6 Likes

Welcome DJ :blush:
Happy to see you have a good plan of attack. Keep checking in here, keep reading. Remember all these feelings of why you quit and how bad alcohol feels.
I hold onto these thoughts when my brain tries to trick me into how fun drinking was, or how much I miss it.
All the best :heartpulse:

11 Likes

Welcome, DJ! You are in a great place. I’m a book geek too. Lots of great books out there to learn from.

6 Likes

Hey DJ , good luck on your journey.

I’m finally just over a week sober , I too know what it’s like to have rock bottoms and ruin a lot from drinking.

It’s such a blessing in disguise sometimes to have those wake up calls, and it says a lot about your heart and intentions that you questioned yourself, and that you’re willing to make the change.

Join me , and many others on our adventures to becoming our better sober selfs.

Keep us updated on your journey.
Thank yourself for not only being honest to yourself, but to the world. That’s one of the first biggest steps to recovery.

God bless your soul, and I believe in you. :slight_smile:

• Andrew
10 Likes

DJ, welcome! Unexpected joys of sobriety is one of MANY great quit lit books out there. Indeed, we have a thread dedicated to books. You can’t imagine the joy that can happen for you in sobriety. This community, AA and TLC gave me the joy and serenity that’s found in recovery. Recovery is progressive, it gets better and better.

12 Likes

Welcome here DJ! You are prepared and willing and that’s all you need! :facepunch:
Hope the AA group near your house is awesome! I know this virtual TS group is :sunglasses:

Again welcome and see you around! :raising_hand_woman:

4 Likes

Welcome DJ!

It’s so good to have you here.

A book that really helped me is “the alcohol experiment” from Annie Grace. It helped me get sober for 18 months.

But nothing as effective as a strong community to support us and make Us feel we are not alone.

:sunny::pray:t3:

4 Likes

Welcome! So glad you’re here! Stay positive, focused, determined and mindful. Sober life = our best life! :raised_hands::blush:

4 Likes

Welcome @liminal.rehab looks like you’re off to a good start! It takes thought and work!
Welcome also to the others on the thread!
@Deedee1 @james83 @Catmama23
@Donfa
The best to all of you.
Stick together, keep up with each other.
Posting in the forum = lots of support.

5 Likes

Welcome DJ nice to meet you as well. It does sound like you have a good plan in place. Glad you are including AA and therapy and us. This is a very supportive community. I have been here for 8 months and it is a huge part of my sobriety. Keep coming back. All the best.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the warm and kind welcome. I’ve been browsing around and everything you all have been saying is true. Excited to contribute and continue to foster community!

5 Likes