I went to a concert… and drank

I hope this isn’t a case of “I’ll get sober after this weekend”

We never know when that bender becomes an ender…

10 Likes

don’t go then, what’s more important to you right now Music or your sobriety?

2 Likes

All the feelings you have are valid and it’s true what others have also said. If the support is there but chose otherwise than not much can be done from the supporters end. We have to find the will power and the true conviction to want sobriety above all else. I too had a concert I had plan to go in which my cousins was playing. I didn’t attend the event because I knew I was very early on and I would most likely have given in and lost it all that day. Summer I’m sure is hard to be in early sobriety but it’s doable. Many others have done it but as @Englishd said how bad do you want this??? I hope this gives you strength to really commit and push through.

1 Like

I went about 12 days and relapsed also. Today I’m picking up the pieces of my stupid decision. Can’t quit though; my family is depending on me. Let’s do it together brother.

3 Likes

Yeah I think what @Englishd has said is right. I do really want this, I’m just going to cancel all my summer plans. Working on me is going to my ‘event.’ To be honest it takes a Lot of stress off. I’m about to start a cycle of training anyway which will keep me busy

8 Likes

Hey Mark, this is a wise decision, I commend you. Good for you also to be training and looking after your physical health. This is an asset to recovery work, it is however not the main dish. What can you do to strenghten your recovery? Explore yourself and your reasons why you need to flee reality in booze? There’s much to learn for everyone in your shoes (and mine, same shoes!).

Resources for our recovery

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

Yeah keep trying.
One day you’ll probably be able to go to concerts again without drinking, and you’ll feel good about it.
I used to drink and smoke a lot at concerts, now I don’t and, surprise, it’s even better!

3 Likes

This is great. You made it to 14 days. You can make it there again and more. Rooting for you.

1 Like

When Shut up and play the hits came out, I was like “yeah right it’s the last show” ha. Then I saw them twice the following year :joy:

I will never get over James’s quote in the movie “I’m like the Michael Jordan of music” like dude?

1 Like

Hello.
My name is Dexter.

It’s time to make a list of People, Places & Things.

Two Columns (Promotes/Detrimental to my Sobriety)

Anything in detriment to Sobriety remove it completely (if possible) or begin starving it (slowly remove any resources from it)

Hardship, lest no lasting Change

5 Likes

Thank you, I will do this.

1 Like

Thank You…when sharing with others, I am actively addressing my shortcomings. We are Here for Another!!!

1 Like

Same happened to me after day ten? 11? “Oh I can just have one” which then made me anxious so I just drank more. And then bailed on half the show because I felt drunk and anxious and bad about my choice. Bad bad move. Woke up with a lot of regret. I do think it’s possible to keep parts of “old life” going into sobriety if you have the right support system? Or is that also naive? Don’t know but I’m also going to a concert this weekend coming up and I’m bound and determined to do it sober. If I can’t, no more concerts. No more triggers. I wish you luck! Keep posting!

2 Likes

If the parts of your old life that you’re keeping are around alcohol based situations you are probably naive… at least in the beginning. I can be around people drinking now though i kinda prefer not to be at this point. Boredom is a symptom people have in the beginning of sobriety while relearning how to live a healthier life.

1 Like

So you drank at the last concert, but it’s going to be different this time? I’d go back and read this whole thread again. There’s definitely some useful tidbits here if you are willing to follow them

5 Likes

I did this…I cant remember a darn thing that I missed…no one reminds me or brings up what I missed.

However, you will always remember the summer you took care you!

Great Job!

5 Likes

What is encouraging is the insight you had into your drinking and the fact that you were able to figure what you need to do differently right now.

I have seen a lot of discouraging things lately so I needed to see something hopeful like your posts in this thread.

1 Like

Well, good luck…and I truly mean that. For me, I was bound and determined to be sober for 25 years…and failed every attempt.

I had to change my life style…that meant missing things in the beginning…such as concerts.

I cant remember what concerts I missed, as their impact on my life was not significant…but I remembered it dawned me…those singers could care less If I was drunk or sober…

When you go, have an exit strategy…what will you do if the cravings hit and you fear that you will cave

3 Likes

Thanks, this thread has helped lots the past few days as well as lots of other things on the forum. I actually feel really relieved that I don’t have to balance my old life and the new one I’m trying to achieve. By just cancelling the lot it’s made things simpler. I just do what I need to do and don’t drink, concentrate on getting better and stop trying to do difficult and dangerous balancing acts.

6 Likes

I dont think I would have made it at 14 days through a concert either. I stuck close to the plan then. Did AA and now Ive been granted freedom if I continue to put the work in.

1 Like