I'm not drinking today!

It’s crazy I’ve seen and done it myself in a pub got through about 10 pints in about 4 or 5 hours. Think how crazy is that. You wouldn’t drink 10 pints of any other drink in that time. I suffer terrible anxiety when I drink. I hate the damn stuff. There’s also an element of self destruction within me, it’s almost like self harm. The answer really is simple just don’t have the first drink, I know this. From all the shitty experiences I had with the poison I should know better. It’s so messed up!

3 Likes

I’m 27 hours in right now without a drink. So far so good. But this site has been very encouraging and helpful! We’ve got each other’s backs in this!

6 Likes

Now that is pretty cool, I have just checked my sober counter and I’ve got 27 hours & 14 mins. :fist_right::fist_left::+1::grinning:

3 Likes

Yep. You can get through some really tough times and do great and then it hits you out of nowhere. Those are the toughest cravings of all to beat.

2 Likes

It really is so shitty how it just gets you, no warning. Just when you think you’ve got a handle on it. It’s so true when people say you can’t get complacent.

3 Likes

I think it’s interesting. I know I cant drink, yet when I relapse i loose sight of that and all I think about is getting my “fix”. It all happens on autopilot. So I agree complacency is killer. I narrowly beat a bunch of cravings today I said…where does that get me? I think I’ve wrecked my stomach forever. And for me, I think it’s time to really address this or I will be out of chances. I did drink probably 10 cans of seltzer today in 4-5 hours lol but its seltzer!

Sorry to ramble! Haha. I’m still all foggy. Proud of you guys for you!

How are you feeling?

1 Like

I’m not feeling too bad. I have mentioned it before on here. When I stop drinking I also stop sleeping. I got days last week but that was also 4 nights of not being able to sleep. I know it would settle eventually cause would be exhausted. It seriously does my head in though, and the sweats, itchy skin anxiety etc. This is what’s so annoying. Every time I fail, have to through it all again.

I did ok all day but couldnt stop thinking about drinking. But not too many other symptoms. But now, boy I really want a drink. I always drank right before bedtime to get myself sleepy. :grimacing:

You can do it. :smiley:

Well I finally got a little sleep last night. I took a very low dosage of xanax. (Something I have zero issues with and have only one of the prescribed dosage to help with withdrawls a few times a year after relapses.) I feel a lot better…still not myself.

I’m a little worried about the sense of boredom today as I’ll mostly be bed ridden again today with my arm issues. Since my fall a week ago all I did was drink so I was never bored. Just incoherent and a possessed with demons asshole. I’ll take boredom thank you very much. Anyway. I’m enjoying the boredom this morning but a tad worried about later so today might be a good day to get back in the rooms to give me something to do, well see how I’m feeling.

Anyway. I’m not drinking today for the second straight day. I’m going to be sober today. (Minus the lingering withdrawls haha)

Not even one today.

1 Like

When I was getting dried out, it really helped me to be very concrete about time. I would sleep until 6 AM, that was 6 hours done. Stay sober until my noon AA meeting. Those six hours were taken up with bathing and eating and getting the kids ready, then reporting to the police station to give my breath sample (that was motivation!), then to work until leaving for the meeting about 11:30. sit in the meeting then back to work and there it was 1:30. Work for three more hours. They were really good about letting me use my vacation time an hour a day to go to the meeting. I had to make the bus by 5:00 for the 45 minute ride home. Now it’s 5:45, I’m waiting for the wife at the bus stop for the ride home. Home by 6:00. Dinner, kids, some journaling, and now it’s 8:00. Occupy myself with a card game or paying bills or reading for an hour. Then to bed sober, made it through another day.

I made AA the center point of my day. I didn’t think more than three hours ahead. I prayed for help a lot. And I didn’t care if my life was ‘boring’. I had to stay dry to stay out of jail. I had to get sober in my attitudes and thinking to tolerate being abstinent. I knew I couldn’t white knuckle my way through and hope the cravings and obsession would stop.

5 Likes

Thanks I really enjoyed reading that.

Three hours in advance sounds about perfect right now.

The boredom kick in comes from the aforementioned injury (just a total forearm to shoulder arm one) which robs me of being able to do active things I like. I dont have to be back at work until wednesday. I’m not too good at this laying around stuff.

My desire not to drink outweighs the one too drink today! Im someone who’s struggled with sobriety and was a constant day, night, and morning drinker for about 6 or 7 years. Before that I was just the drunkest guy at every party. Every other time I attempted sobriety I would tell myself I shouldnt drink…but deep down j wanted to. This time I dont want to drink. I get fleeting cravings, but I’ve never squashed them like this, this early.

I’ll get to tomorrow when I gets here, heck, like you said I’ll get to 3 hours from now when it comes. I can do this and I will because i want to!

3 Likes

Yup. I wish you the same!!!

I’m calmish…that darn anxiety. Restless. Healing for sure! About to eat my first solid food I think and I’m hoping that will really help.

Beat a few more cravings because I’m not drinking today! Good job to you.

2 Likes

Day 1 is going to an end. Wish you all well. Going to bed early to avoid the cravings and to change my routine.

5 Likes

Just wanted to post. I’m going to have the house to myself tonight. I already had thoughts of racing to the store for a party of one as soon as my mother left. (I live with her at 30 due to life circumstances)

I’m not going to do that!!! I am going to find some company who wants to have a nice sober evening.

Not gonna drink today. Going to bed sober.

3 Likes

Do it and be proud :blush:

1 Like

I’m also not going to drink today. My plan is to kick around at home for another hour, then meet a friend at a 5.30 meditation meeting, then possibly another meeting or maybe grocery shopping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stopped by my neighbors. They were drinking. I looked at the cans. I dont want one. Had a couple flashes of drinking. Played the tape out. No thanks. Chatted with the guy spackling who’s in recovery and we talked about withdrawls.

Not drinking today.

That was my first time being around it and making it. (This time)

8 Likes

Day 3. Woke up sober. Think I’d like to again tomorrow.

Not drinking today or this afternoon or night.

5 Likes

Way to go! Waking up sober is THE BEST. So I’m not going to drink today. Happy sober Sunday!

2 Likes