Invited to a Christmas do

It will have been over a year sobriety at the time of this Xmas do. I am very aware of the one year stumbling block and there is no way it is getting me that way. I will not fall for the whole internal voice of “it’s been a year, so you’re fine” clearly that is not the case.

I really want to attend the party because it’s with a volunteer group I’ve been in for ten years and I’ll get my ten years long service at the party. However, there will be a LOT of booze and drinking.

I wanted to get people’s thoughts on this.

9 Likes

That’s why you are fine. Because there is no booze in your system anymore.

I would go and would leave as soon as I feel uncomfortable or stressed or someone would push me into tasting without listening to my decline. I hope you can enjoy the event. Or if your are not going, that’s fine too.

4 Likes

Don’t drink, it’s not worth all of the work you’ve put in across an entire year.
Chances are there is no control, it becomes lost once your lips touch that bottle.

You can do this.

1 Like

I would go, another opportunity to say no. If I’m like this is a mandatory thing and I have to I try to schedule in a very early something the next day to back up excuse… like 430 AM workout or have to drive to a place 2 hours away by 7 am… or hot yoga at 5am. Not lying and totally reasonable. I rarely do this anymore but it did help. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

You’ve known these people a good while. Are they likely to make you uncomfortable about not drinking? Will they push you to indulge? Is so, does the 10 year award warrant the risk? Only you can answer this.

2 Likes

I would have an exit strategy. For me, events with a lot of booze just aren’t fun anymore. I find myself leaving early…because I am bored

5 Likes

I’d say go and like @Thirdmonkey says have an exit plan! Also plan what you will drink/ ask for at the bar/ if anyone offers you one.

Loads more good tips etc here (including some just don’t go, but also strategies for when you do!) >>

I think being aware of the fact that it’s easy to slip is a good thing.

The most important thing is to have fun :hugs: And if you’re not having fun - you don’t have to stay! Like @Ar7 I found having something to really look forward to in the morning a good motivator as I started going back out there.

4 Likes

Have your own way out, depending on noone else. Arrive late, leave early. Have a sober buddy at the party or arrange a phone checkin with someone sober.

You have a valid reason for going, so go, take care of business and leave. You’ll be fine and well respected for not turning into a sloppy drunk!

4 Likes

Know in your heart why you are going, if you have any ulterior motive or the slightest doubt in yourself don’t go. If your spiritually sound go and enjoy yourself bc alcohol was never the problem you were and your not that person any more.

2 Likes

Since you have a legit reason to go and you are pretty solid and aware, I would go but only long enough to fulfill that legit reason then bounce. :grin:

2 Likes

Are there several layers in your question? To me it sounds a bit of mixed up: The thing of 1 year sober upcoming, the party you would like to attend, the long-term engagement you are proud of, socialize with the people you like(?) again, thoughts about self-exposure in an emotional intense setting, thoughts of others about your (new for them?) non-drinking, thoughts about self-perception and the (imaginary?) image and expections others have about you.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :pray:
It reminded me to look closer to whats really going on in my head & emotions - have to dig deeper :pray:

2 Likes