January plank challenge

Anyone interested in joining the annual January plank challenge? It starts out easy and you build up to oh hell no, not easy.:blush: You can scale up or down depending on your needs…tips and modifications below.

Tips on planking and common mistakes…

Modify as necessary…

• Forearms work for some people, for others straight arms feels better. For advanced folks, I suggest up / downs :upside_down_face: (alternating between forearms and straight…down down, up, up, repeat, repeat…)
  • Doing your planks on your knees is a great way to ease in (as opposed to on your toes)
  • Wearing sneakers helps your grip and steadiness
  • As time progresses, reading can take your mind off
  • Engage your core for stability (squeeze your abdomen and tummy muscles)
  • Push up to a down dog if needing a break
  • Stay at 30 seconds or 1 minute or whatever you are comfortable with as needed. Progress, not perfection. You can even do 30 seconds a day for the whole month. Do what challenges YOU!

We start out slow and build strength as we progress…just like sobriety!! :slightly_smiling_face:

33 Likes

Yes im in !

4 Likes

20 seconds b4 bed!

5 Likes

Done!

I can’t wait until Day 6 :joy:

9 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:t3: I’m in!

5 Likes

I’m in, just did my 20!

5 Likes

Yes, that is a forearm plank. You could also do a straight arm plank if you prefer. See what feels better for you.

1 Like

I added a link in the original post with tips on form and mistakes to avoid.

2 Likes

I am in! Did one similar a couple years back. Love the challenge of it!

6 Likes

Day 1! With some company.

17 Likes

Count me in!

5 Likes

Done. How on earth can Jan 30 be done. I forgot: ODAAT

6 Likes

Done with Day 1!

4 Likes

Exactly!! A perfect metaphor for sobriety. We build our core a little each day, just as we build our sober muscles. And definitely just deal with the day at hand.

8 Likes

Ok! Day 1 done!
I am recruiting my husband. We will see…

7 Likes

I’m in! Just did my first 20. This should be interesting lol.

5 Likes

Great idea!!!
I’m in, but starting from tomorrow (I’m not procrastinating - which would be so like me :see_no_evil: - but it’s 1.35 AM and I’m off to sleep… I have to set a reminder for the challenge :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

I have a daily alarm set as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a Stealth Plankster? I’m in for this challenge. Gonna use my plankster…
https://trystealthnow.com/

4 Likes

Ok well that was a little harder than expected. I’m in for the challenge!

4 Likes