Maybe some comfort in the struggle

One of the best decisions I have ever made was to seek and find this platform. And I would assume this topic has come up in the past I’m not exactly sure how to find it because I’m not exactly savvy in the tech or net world. I have been struggling with alcohol for a while lots of ups and downs and a few more day ones then I’d like to admit but I would assume there’s some comfort to be found in the struggle and with that I’d like to ask? What are some of the positives people experienced when putting down the bottle whether it be physical or mental or anything in between? Again sorry if this has come up before but thought it would fun to read others experiences.

15 Likes

It’s not alcohol in my case but it is addiction, and for me, the big positive difference is I’m not hiding any more.

Addiction is hiding. It’s like having a secret you try to hide from everyone, including even yourself. And that hiding - that hiding is exhausting.

All the energy and time I wasted hiding my addiction, I can now use for things that are constructive. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy - sometimes it’s just taking a nap or even watching TV - but the point is, I’m not hiding (or planning when and where I’m going to hide).

10 Likes

There are indeed some good threads you might like to check out in addition. I’ll see what links I find …

7 Likes

The clarity and peace of mind are invaluable. I was self medicating so in my case I was intentionally lowering my frequency. Now that that anchor is gone I feel lighter and like I’m tapping into my full cognitive and spiritual capacity again. The first few days were hard; filled with mood swings, anxiety, and nightmares - but the gym helped me level out more quickly. There is much healing to be done and waking with no hangover is awesome.

7 Likes

This is a thread I really like

5 Likes

Here is a thread on an important, a bit delicate issue I also like very much

3 Likes

Physical - no puking, no feeling faint, having energy and time to do work / hobbies / stuff with family
Mental - no constant panic of what I did / said / broke the last time I drank, no constant bargaining of will-I-won’t-I-drink the next time, no constant worry that receipts / empties will be found, having open, safe relationships with my family,
I’m sure there are more, but regular life has just become my new normal. The fact I have to sit and think and compare to come up with these things is just amazing to me, in the throes of my drinking I could have made a list as long as your arm about how shit my life was. And I am still struggling in some areas, but I at least have a solid baseline to work from.

9 Likes

No constant state of hangover
Not waking up to the most horrific, ‘OMG what have I done this time?!?’ state of panic
No waking up in hospitals/mental wards with no recollection of how I got there.
Sobriety brought the joys of hot lemon water into my life.
Finally started a daily meditation practice.
No need to down 2 little of water every morning to quench an unquenchable thirst.
Improved relationships with those around me.
No need to make up stupid excuses about why I need my deadlines extended.
Better skin.
According to my better half: I look a lot less miserable :rofl:

It’s not all peaches and cream. But the improvements are getting more palpable.

6 Likes

Yessss one of the comments that I would get more often then not and it would really hurt me was when some looks at me and says “you look tired” everyone from my work mates to gas station employees and my parents

4 Likes

Putting down the bottle was the best thing I did for myself.

Some of the benefits of being sober are:

• Better sleep/waking up rested
  • No more GI issues
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Better looking skin
  • Reduced risk of cancer
  • Healthier liver and heart
  • Mentally clear
  • Better relationship with my wife
  • Better friends (ones that actually care)
  • I can drive anywhere at anyntime
  • Zero risk of DUI
  • Better work performance = raises/promotion/bonus
  • Sick days now used for actual illness
  • Haven’t puked in ages (used to be very frequent)
  • Better teeth (no cavities)
  • Different perspective on life
  • Life is generally better

Probably the most positive thing quitting drinking has done is it gave me a chance to reach my full potential.

Living life as a drunk was like trying to tread water with a 50 pound weight around my neck, I was barely able to keep my head above water, all the while I was blaming everyone and everything else for my shortcomings.

Now that I am sober, I am free be as great as I want to be, not as great as alcohol will allow.

No regrets!

10 Likes

I just must say I’m in love with that avatar of yours. Haven’t seen the movie yet. Wifey doesn’t want to. But I’ll wait til I can watch it at home.

Now to stay on topic.

Sometimes I fight so hard for my recoveries I am totally drained. Exhausted. And sometimes I use to be depressed about it all. Lately I think I’ve been able to look at it differently and I think my exhaustion is my new form of total surrender and serenity. I just keep asking my HP to help me look at things differently and I keep surrendering over and over again. There’s always more to surrender.
:heart: :pray:

But I really love Amy’s avatar.

6 Likes

Lol. It’s somehow funny to me how much this doesn’t come up in any great detail. I have to imagine lots go through it.

But it’s always amazing to me how many ways our bodies try to tell us something is wrong. And it’s remarkable how much we can heal and feel better by simply not drinking!

My mental health also got physically better. Support groups helped with learning how to cope with a shifting mind so I didn’t retreat to the bottle at the first challenge.

As one who always struggled with anxiety though, just staying fit and sober did a lot to level out the baseline squirrels in my head. I didn’t realize the physiological chaos I had gotten used to until a good, long stretch of taking care of myself.

7 Likes

I would say the biggest positive is I don’t feel guilty all the time anymore. When I was drinking I was constantly lying about how much I drank, sneaking what I was drinking, hiding bottles and waking up wondering what I had done that I forgot about in a black out. That is no longer the case and I’m grateful for it everyday.

3 Likes

Guilt is a good one! I feel that one a lot. I feel lots of guilt when I drink because I want my fiancé and son to be proud and I hate when my son sees me drinking a beer

1 Like

There are so many things to feel good about when not drinking. But isnt it funny how after a short while of being sober that addicted brain wants us to believe its not so bad when we drink? It is though. We have to remember how bad things can get and we have to appreciate daily the good we feel and remember that each day. Feeling good daily is awesome, no memory loss, no headache, no vomiting, no shame, no guilt, no remorse, and the list is endless. Thank you god for my sobriety each day and i pray it continues.

5 Likes

Hi🌺,

This is exactly what I don’t want anymore, No drama, no shame, no blackouts, no calls or texts you didn’t even remember. I’m Denise and I’m on my first day. We can do it! A hug from Italy. :people_hugging:

4 Likes

Heck ya deedee love that response and put a smile on my face

4 Likes

So happy to hear that! And you put a smile on my face too! :heart:

1 Like