Mind Blowing Random Thoughts

I kind of thought my kids might have been the worlds top consumers of that!

I need to like more posts. It really is one of my favorite threads on here buddy!!

I’m going to flood this space with random Canadian facts :wink: The baseball glove was invented in Canada in 1883.

Thanks! I’ll keep sharing! :smile:

Oct. 5th mind blowing random thought of the day: In St. Paul, Minnesota, it is against the law to hang men and women’s underwear on the same clothesline together at the same time.

Stumbled on while googling something:

By some estimates, if the salt in the ocean could be removed and spread evenly over the Earth’s land surface it would form a layer more than 500 feet thick, about the height of a 40-story office building.

Oct. 6th mind blowing random thought of the day: In Utah, all birds by law have the right-of-way on any highway within the state.

Driver 1 flips driver 2 the bird and cuts him off. Driver 2 can do nothing about it, but shake his head. Driver 1’s bird had the right of way.

Is that how it works? :rofl:

I think you’ve found Utah’s loophole in its traffic laws!

Oct. 7th mind blowing random thought of the day: Mohan Das, commonly known as “Lotan Baba,” is an Indian holy man who promotes peace by rolling his body along the ground wherever he travels, holding the Guinness World Record for longest distance travelled while rolling at 9,846 miles. He also reportedly stood still in one spot for approx. 7 years while undertaking penance, with only grass to sustain himself.

WzhSq42

Now I’ll forever be thinking “chips n fruit salad” … lawd help

I was going to respond with this but you beat me to it!

Do I need to spin up a campaign for @rmgrimmer, @Shinhiryuu, @Ifs and I?

Ohhhhhhhh so tempting… I’ve always liked D&D and roleplay… But I’ve never actually played D&D before, just forum-style narrative RP

(perking up) Wait… What?

I actually play Pathfinder. It’s more like D&D 3.5 than 5.0 in that it’s got a heavy structure to it. I like the rules. I feel like it opens up more options for character growth and building.

Basically everyone in the thread RPs their own character, writes a scene (or portion thereof) per post, like a scene from a book. There are no preset D&D stats and rolls and spells and rules, only what facts and rules the “DM”/narrator has decided about the world. Since there’s no rolling for results, my character would have “swung his sword at the oncoming goblin” or spoken his mind towards his mentor. It’s written in a way that indicates the action taken but not the result. If the interaction is with a NPC, the narrator can respond with a scene or scene fragment about how the NPC reacted as well as make judgement calls about what the realistic outcome would be. If it’s a PC, whoever is playing that character responds in the same way.

The style is pretty dependent on players staying true to their character’s strengths and weaknesses and to the world rather than trying to twist everything to their advantage. But in the right group, especially if they have some writing expertise, you can get fantastic character development and plot and subplots going just as a result of everyone’s creativity in a free form environment.

I tried Storium which facilitates this quite well, but is typically used in a way that imposes further structure, though not to the point of D&D (there are pros and cons).

My ex ran a game that took place in one of her novels and that was really fun to be part of.

The way we did it:

1. DM opens scene. Establishes setting, important goings-on or opening action.
  2. Players and DM take turns acting of their own accord and/or in response to other character actions towards them.
  3. DM or consensus decides scene is done and DM closes with additional narrative, clearing up what the end result was, if not clear already.
  4. Repeat

My favourite part of forum-style RP is that it can be anything you want. French Revolution, vampires, space age, high school drama, whatever. And if you think it’s more interesting if your character slips and falls instead of making the jump, you can make that the case instead of hoping for the right roll, so long as it’s seen as realistic (parkour pro messing up a small jump, no, clumsy or unlucky character sure)