Mind Blowing Random Thoughts

U shoulda asked him how many his proctologist found last week Rob lol

That got me curious about something and I looked it up…
The first recorded instance of mooning occurred in the 1st century AD when a Roman soldier was said to have lifted his skirt, bared his posterior, and farted in the general direction of some young Jewish men observing passover. They took it as an insult and a riot ensued in which “upwards of 30 thousand” people were killed :flushed:

3 Likes

Dang! That what moonings cause!

Scalpels made from obsidian will actually cut between tissue cells, whereas titanium will cut and tear through them. Undamaged cells on the edge of an inscission will heal much faster.

3 Likes

That makes sense. The question is, how to make obsidian scalpal blades for mass production? Have you ever used a scalpal? Ridiculously sharp.

No, but I’ve used obsidian knives, and they are insanely sharp. The only drawback is they are so brittle.

3 Likes

As the kid who inhaled non-fiction books in solitude and learned this from a few geology books from the library, it put me at odds with my friends who were into fantasy books and games. In the fantasy worlds, obsidian was stronger than other materials, leading to silly situations like the wearing of (superior) obsidian armour. I now find myself explaining to adult friends that obsidian is not actually particularly strong, it just has a history of use as a highly effective blade. When fantastical fictional liberties are taken as fact… sigh

4 Likes

Jan. 18th mind blowing random thought of the day: The flag of Paraguay has a different design on each side.

1 Like

All the angler fish that you have seen are female. The males are tiny. When they mate, the female absorbed the male into her body, where he lives the rest of bis life. The female will gather several males over her lifetime.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I’ll confirm this with a slight correction. The males do not absorb into the females body, but rather latch on, similar to a leech. They then release enzymes that digest the male’s mouth and female’s skin and they develop connecting blood vessels. The male then lives attached to the female for the rest of the female’s life. Female Anglerfish have been discovered with at most 8 male “appendages” fused with her.

5 Likes

Great fact! Thanks!

Thanks for the correction. :clap:

2 Likes

No problem! That was a cool one. Read up on it a little bit. Lots of things I never knew! Where’d you learn about something so obscure?

Someone told me and I had to look it up. There is a The Onion cartoon about it. Look that up for a laugh.

2 Likes

I have seen that before. I don’t know if we read the same book, but I found it in Mother Nature Is Trying To Kill You, by Daniel K. Risking.

Lots of disturbing facts! :nerd_face::exploding_head:

3 Likes

There is indeed a The Oatmeal comic and it’s as… colorful a description as you could ask for. :rofl:

2 Likes

Jan. 19th mind blowing random thought of the day: All international airline pilots are required to learn fluent English regardless of their country of origin.

2 Likes

Jan. 20th mind blowing random thought of the day: The silhouette in the NBA logo is basketball all-star Jerry West, who played for the LA Lakers from 1960 to 1974.

4 Likes

Jan. 21st mind blowing random thought of the day: On the Schmidt Sting Index, bullet ants are ranked number 1 as the most painful, being equal to the pain felt from a gunshot wound.

5 Likes

Jan. 22nd mind blowing random thought of the day: Nirvana lead vocalist Kurt Cobain married singer Courtney Love in 1992 while wearing his pajamas.

7 Likes