My first real attempt to slow down

It sounds like making compromises; maybe that would work for you. I’m of the same mindset as @Steph31, it just isn’t worth it anymore, for me.
Maybe you could try a sober 30 days and then see how you feel.
4-6 shots and a six pack a day is a lot, to ME, lol…
Either way I’m glad you’re here, Scott!:raising_hand_woman::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Jan and I’m a gaming addict. I’ve had that mindset about gaming. I gamed less… For about 2 weeks, then I went back to 60 hour binges, being held back at school and being suicidal. I’m sorry mate. Moderate use as an addict is simply not possible :frowning:

5 Likes

I can certainly see how that could be an issue. That’s exactly why I want to test myself before telling my group of friends. I want to see how this will go, and see if I’m capable first!

1 Like

I have to agree it’s a lot. I have definitely thought about trying the 30 day thing as well. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also feel as this may apply to me. I am hoping very seriously that when Friday actually comes around, I don’t WANT to give up my streak!

1 Like

That’s incredible! Great job! I hope to able to say the same about finally listening!

1 Like

Welcome, to reiterate one of the things already said…only you can really determine your alcohol problem.

I was an “only on the weekend” drinker for a while. I used to drink all the time, then cut back to weekends, but also as previously mentioned I started finding reasons during the week again.

I feel like trying to make a deal with yourself, to me anyways, was creating an illusion that I could control it. The truth of the matter was, that was only an illusion and a rationalization to make me feel better or more in control of my habit.

My thoughts are that people who are completely in control, drinking socially in moderate/responsible amounts normally do not find themselves facing down internal questions related to drinking habits.

We are all on our own paths, and if you want to take that path it is up to you. For me personally I had to let it go completely and feel a lot better than I did as myself, a father, a spouse, and a friend/family member (my internally identified key life roles).

As far as not telling anybody, I understand your point but feel the accountability aspect isn’t there. You will basically have a free pass every day if you go to relapse because nobody will know any different. They will not be aware of your goals and help hold you to them. My thought would be to sit down and discuss the goals and ensure they are aware of the difficulty and support needed in a situation like this. Communication is key!

These are just some of my inputs, I wish you the best in determining the path that works best for you. This group can be a great resource if you do decide to abstain and need support!

1 Like

You are capable, no doubt about it

1 Like

Reading this comment makes me think that you don’t want to give up the streak, correct?

1 Like

“My drinking has not ever hindered any of those things”

You may think that man but you will never actually know until you stop drinking and get into a rhythm without the sauce. You may be surprised what your priorities were.

Also, cutting down to three nights a week doesn’t allow your body and mind to properly heal. Your sleep will still be interrupted by the presence of alcohol. Plus it sucks constantly monitoring yourself.

If you are willing, stop. Life is so much better on the other side.

Check out Annie Grace’s book, This Naked Mind. It helped me understand why I couldn’t cut back. I don’t respond to many people on here but your words reminded me of myself.

3 Likes

I appreciate this, very much. I can already see how good this group can be!

1 Like

You hit it right on the head. Though my streak is just beginning, as of today :confused:

2 Likes

First, welcome. I am glad you are here, and hope you will stay.

To answer your question, yes, I have experienced this. It’s called “attempted moderation”, where you consciously and deliberately try to drink like a “normal drinker”, which means you are attempting to emulate something that you aren’t.

I could do it for a time, but always fell back to my regular patterns after I’d “proven” that I was in control, ignoring the fact that I was right back to being out if control.

First it was “only two per night”. When that didn’t work, it was “only on weekends”. Then “only beer and wine, no hard stuff”, and on and on.

I wasn’t free, until I embraced the concept of never drinking again.
Have you considered quitting for several weeks or a month, rather than trying to moderate? Maybe read some of the stories here about failed attempts at moderation, and what relapse is like?

You have to walk your path. You might save time, pain, and anguish if you just quit forever, but I am me, and you are you.

2 Likes

Then don’t give up the streak. No one is forcing you to drink. You are the only in control of your body. You can do this :smiley:

1 Like

I will one hundred percent check out that book, and seriously appreciate your words :slight_smile: thank you for the taking time!

1 Like

I’m not too sure what time that would be for me at this time. I can not commit quite yet, but I may be able to join! Thank you for the info!

Of course man, good luck on your path and always feel free to get in these forums and read everyone’s story. It helped me a lot and you may be surprised how many have similar backgrounds!

1 Like

I think your name is very fitting haha! I have actually been seriously contemplating doing a 7 day “challenge” and after completing that, add another week and so on and so on.

1 Like

Hi Scott and welcome!!

I can’t tell you if you have a problem with alcohol, but usually people who download a sobriety app may need to take a good hard honest look at the role alcohol has in their life.

I know for many (most? all?) of us, we tried many times over the years to institute some ‘rules’ or ‘bargaining’ or ‘moderating’ around our drinking. For me, I kept looking for that elusive system that would make it so I could continue to drink, you know, ‘get a handle on it,’ not overdo or feel bad about etc. I tried everything, for years, just beer, no hard liquor, only hard clear colored liquor, only 3 drinks a night, only 4 days a week, only weekends, water after every drink, all that type of thinking and trying to figure out how I could be a normal drinker. Truth is, I knew deep down in my heart what I was doing wasn’t healthy or good for me or for my family, relationships, jobs, etc. It was just me suckered in by the fallacy, the story we are told and believe that we have to drink to relax, have fun, celebrate, drown our sorrows, etc etc. I needed to get real and understand, really understand, that I was living in a hamster wheel, just going around and around, not really living at all. Slowly drinking myself down into a sad dark hole. Damn, that was hard to reconcile with all that fun we were supposed to be having drinking and partying. The fantasy of what drinking offers us (relaxation! fun! less anxiety!), compared to the reality of what drinking offers us (hangovers! Shame! Bad choices! Etc)…that was a big aha for me.

I love the idea of trying a few weeks or a 30 day challenge to stop. See how that feels. I also wanted to share some threads that may be helpful…

How often did u try moderation before realising it wasn't working? (if that is ur situation)

(Abstinance Vs. Moderation)

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

Hope you find some good inspiration here!! And great job taking that first step!

2 Likes

I think you will find that there many here like you.

I drank for almost 30 years, had a good job, husband, 2 kids, nice house in the suburbs. But I laid awake most nights concerned that I had, yet again, drank too much.

I tried all kinds of things to get my drinking under control. Only drinking on weekends; only 1 drink per day in week, 2 per day on weekend; only drinking soft drinks like wine or beer; only drinking hard drinks like whiskey (hoping it would slow me down)…nothing worked.

Finally I had to admit it…I needed to stop completely.

I’m not saying that is what you must do. You need to find that out for yourself. I just wanted you to know that your current life situation does not mean you can’t have a problem. Not all people with addictions are homeless and living under a bridge (the reason why I told myself for ages that I couldn’t be an alcoholic).

4 Likes