My second time around alcoholic

Hi my name is nick smith, I have struggled with alcohol for years last year I went 7 months dry but I fell off the wagon big time. I’m now starting again. Any tips and advice are needed and gratefully excepted

25 Likes

Welcome back Nick. This is a fight worth fighting.

4 Likes

Thanks, this time I’m doing it, i have too

2 Likes

Good to see you Nick @Smedley448 . My best advice is to hang around here. Read, post, support, get supported. So many good folks here fighting the same fight you do. Together we can do this. Alone it is too much.

8 Likes

Thanks I intend too, I need friends and my family is behind me 100%

6 Likes

Welcome back!

Creating a sober network is paramount to success. It could be a combination of folks here and family. For me, it started out with folks I met on this forum, then it expanded to some sober family members and eventually sober coworkers.

Without a sober network, we are alone, and we can’t do this alone.

11 Likes

Hey Nick, good to see you back! I know you’re not new to the forum, but there might be some info here that is useful to you:

As the others have said, stick around and lean in, none of us do this alone! :pray::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Hi and welcome Nick,
If you could do it once, you could do it again! Reopen your toolbox and give it your all. I know where you are. I was sober for 5 years and then thought I was “cured”.
Drank for 1,5 years and decided I had enough.
Found this app and I’m here almost every day since.
Sober for more then 2 years now.
Be around here often, the work you put in will reward you! :facepunch:

6 Likes

Thank you I hope intend to, it’s one day at a time but it’s also helpful to you are not alone and complete strangers are willing to help ans support helps massively

1 Like

I use this forum and listened to sobriety podcasts like crazy, they’re lots of them out there. The more effort we put into our recovery the stronger it’ll become. I recommend doing something recovery related every single day, even if that’s just coming here and reading. Welcome back Nick.

1 Like

Today is my second day, I had a good night sleep for a change, funny I still feel like I’ve had a drink but I’m sure that will pass, I will do this with everybody’s help and maybe I can help someone too

8 Likes

Hi there and welcome to your second day then! :grin::facepunch:
You are very fortunate with that good night rest you know! I sleept awefull the first weeks of my recovery and needed melatonin to get some sleep. I had night sweats and was restless all the time.
Glad you did better, keep it up!!

2 Likes

I hear the name melatonin mentioned here what is it?

It’s a sleeping aid you can buy in health stores ore farmacy. Normally your body itself makes it in the evening to make you sleepy at the end of day. Because of detox it can be disrupped so you can use this supplement to help improve sleep.
PS consult your doctor if you use anti deppresives before trying melatonin!

There were a couple of mornings I woke up feeling like I had drank. Lol. So its not just me! We’re all on the walk with you. When one of us is weak there’s others to get us through. Have a great day :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks, last night I slept like a log but I still have that feeling good to know it will soon pass.

Day 3 . Woke up this morning feeling better the feeling of a hangover or whatever isn’t here today, still hard to motivate myself but I actually did a couple of exercises. Less than 5 mins but it has made me feel good. Gonna slowly up it now

2 Likes

Got it now thanks

1 Like

That sounds like a good way to start the day! I have been doing yoga in the mornings again which has been brilliant. This series is one a couple of us are working through -

although they are longer than 5 mins. Lots of shorter yoga sequences on youtube, might be worth looking at. Good for the mind as well as the body :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good morning everyone, I am now 6 days sober , my father in law died Saturday morning and it hit my family hard.a couple of times I felt I needed a drink but I didn’t have one. I’m also proud as this is my first Sunday that I haven’t got smashed for a long time I had a glass of lemonade and a cup of ocaltine lol, keep the faith that’s what I’m gonna do

7 Likes