-breaking up with my partner every week
-concerning/scaring away new dates
-lying about why I need to go to the store
-being angry/irritable at my friends for not taking me to the store
-basing my entire schedule / social circle around drinking
-being drunk in front of my friends kids
-being too drunk to eat a meal prepared for me
-having to sneak out of the bar hours after close

(I’ll add more as they come to mind. Please leave your own!)

60 Likes

Damn. . . You just described a big chunk of my life. Great post. Thank you.

10 Likes

Sometimes I think I miss it for a second, so I have to remind myself of what I absolutely DO NOT miss at all. So much cringe.

14 Likes

I’ve got a little bit of time under my belt now & the “missing” it has kinda passed. There are times when I think that one drink couldn’t hurt & that I’m cured, but I went down that road too many times. I know that if I don’t keep reminding myself by seeing posts like this and hearing others stories then I’ll slip right back into the shit. And yes!. . . So much cringe! It’s been a long road to shake that shame.

4 Likes

I’m only on day 74. (Only. It seems like a lifetime to me. Longest I’ve ever gone, but first time I’ve ever even tried) so lists and reminders, counting days, little things like that really help me right now.
I go back and forth every day, but I always land back on “what the fuck is wrong with you? You need to be sober, dumbass.”
:black_heart: so far so good.

18 Likes

You’re doing great! Congratulations! Those little sobriety tools are the key to it all! I tell myself pretty much the same thing :joy:
Be nice to you though!

3 Likes

I have written this kind of list too on paper. The list is not with me right now because I’m not home. I should translate it (from Finnish) here later :hugs:
It was really eye opening experience to wrote down all that shit I did drunk. I tried to wrote some good things too, but there’s not such of things.

I’m really beginner in this sober thing (day 6)… I have tried couple of times before, but not really pledge to it. One month is the longest I have did.
I have been like getting ready for sobriety at least for half year now. I have been thinking lot of my drinking, how I don’t enjoy it anymore, write that list for example, talking to my friends about it etc.
Now I think I can do this.

5 Likes

I feel the same way. Had the ‘I’m cured’ feeling twice. Relapsed twice. Now I’m on day 174!

9 Likes

Some of us just need to learn by experience. Congratulations on 174 days!

4 Likes

“Only” 72 days? That seems like a lifetime to me. Huge accomplishment. Love this thread topic, Knives!

3 Likes

Thank you. I suppose I need to work on being easier with myself sometimes. :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

5 Likes

Thanks! I had to fall a few times before I could rise :slight_smile: we got this!

2 Likes

Most of us do. I’m actually working thru a mindful self compassion workbook.

1 Like

Remembering things that happened or that I did when I was drunk years ago still gets me.

1 Like

22 Likes

Love your list!!! Definitely something to read if you think…hey, maybe just one…

And 74 days is amazing!!!

1 Like

Absolutely. What a good way of putting it.

1 Like

Thank you! Im headed to inpatient on Thursday so here’s to getting out with 104 under my belt :metal:t4:

4 Likes

That’s fantastic…I am happy for you, getting the care and assistance you need. :heart:

1 Like

Great list people can relate to that, stay strong don’t give in, it sucks all that time wasted trying to stay sober think about it

2 Likes