Quitting on a Friday… 😮‍💨

Hi everyone this is my story:

I’ve had an unhealthy, off and on relationship with alcohol for the past 10 years. I was just a social drinker, that could go many months without drinking with no problem but everything changed after Covid hit. I started drinking a little more often: it started every other weekend, then every weekend and without even realizing it, I found myself drinking every day. For the longest time I thought I had everything under control and I could quit whenever I wanted, it’s just that I didn’t want to quit.

I started to realize that I might had a problem when the hangovers started hitting harder, when I could get so drunk that I would have the worst blackouts to the point of putting my life and the life of others in danger and have absolutely no recollection of what happened the night before. I started to gain so much weight due to the fruity, sugary and high calorie drinks and still, I was in denial. I have tried all the combinations possible and excuses there are to be able to drink “in moderation”, to enjoy the best of both worlds but that’s not possible for me.

Fast forward this year, 50 lbs overweight, taking antidepressants and my life being a mess I decided to stop the excuses and do something about this. Today, Friday (yes, worst day ever to quit) is my clean day. I have research about AA groups around my area and found a meeting that is convenient for my schedule which I’ll start attending next week. I know it’s not gonna be easy but I am determined to fight this off. I am sick and tired of being a slave of my addiction, I want to be healthy, happy, enjoy the little things… I just want my freedom back.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’m excited to start this journey and be able to share it with this community. Wish me luck!

37 Likes

Hi! As I am reading this, I thought, wait?! Did I right this?! LOL, I can totally relate. After Covid, drinking beer everyday became the habit for me and my boyfriend. I am in day 4, and Friday is hard AF and a major trigger. It is even making me anxious. I have read a lot in here that changing the routines is important, and that is my intention today. Wish you the best and hope we both hang in there for the long run!

10 Likes

Thank you! I’m brand new to the community and just the little time I’ve been here I’ve seen so many ideas and recommendations I haven’t even thought about and I’m willing to try anything to change my lifestyle. I wish you luck on your journey as well! I just keep saying to myself “one day at a time” :smiling_face:

7 Likes

Welcome! Friday is a good day to quit. You will have a whole sober weekend ahead of you. Yaaaay. Congratulations on deciding to quit. Best decision ever. Hope to see you around

10 Likes

Welcome @Starshine and @VMA ! With drinking, there’s always an excuse to not quit, but never a reason. Use all the resources you can, and you will be able to make it.

Blessings on your houses :pray: as you begin your journeys.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community! Glad you are here! This place is amazing and there are a ton of really caring and helpful people here.

Keep us posted on how things are going :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you all! I am excited and yes, I will take advantage of all the resources available now because I am aware of the difficult days ahead. But I know it’ll be worth it :heart:

3 Likes

One day at a time

5 Likes

You can do it! We are right here with you!
A couple of life changing (for me) resources…

Throw everything you got at it and see what sticks. Find what works FOR YOU and stick with it. Sending calm, happy, sober vibes your way… :people_hugging::two_women_holding_hands:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Hey there! Friday is a perfect day to quit as you are saying “NO THANKYOU” to a weekend of putting more poison into your body. This place IS super helpful, and has been an invaluable part of my recovery. I let go of social media and spent really most of my day on here in the beginning, especially reading posts and responses from people with a lot of sober time.

I would love to hear how your AA meeting goes if you feel like posting about it when you get back. Glad to have you here! :blue_heart:

5 Likes

Love that book so much!!!

4 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate the support! I’m definitely adding that book to my collection :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’ve said it before, HAVE TO keep saying it- That book helped me save my life!

3 Likes

Quitting - my best decision ever. It is hard in the beginning, but it gets easier. Never give up, one day at a time

5 Likes

You’re right! So far I’ve felt so welcomed and supported! My first AA will be next Tuesday, I’m kinda nervous but looking forward to it. I will definitely keep you guys updated. Thank you for all the support!

3 Likes

Oh, Yeah! :raised_hands:t2: I don’t think you’ll regret it! It was clearly written for Badasses, which no doubt, You Are!:muscle:t2::heart::metal:t2:

2 Likes

What a wonderful day for day 1. You may want to check out some aa meetings this weekend if it was prime drinking time.

Aa, the twelve steps, and this forum here got me sober and with work kept me sober for over a year now. There is hope but its not going to be easy. But boy oh boy is sobriety worth it!

6 Likes

Congratulations! And welcome to the club! You can do it and everything will get better from here on

3 Likes

That’s the reason I keep thinking is the worst day! I am honestly feeling a little anxious, really on edge because I am so used to start my binge drinking Friday night that it just became a habit that comes so naturally! But you’re right, I think it’s a good idea to check out a weekend meeting to avoid falling in the alcohol trap. I really appreciate the support!

2 Likes

You are making a great decision!

4 Likes