Ready to finally make it stick this time

OK, so here we go… I’ve been struggling with my sobriety for about 20 years and today I woke up and just couldn’t take it anymore. I lost a very important person to me to alcoholism January 23rd of Last year and a part of me really didn’t want to keep going on in life and I really contemplated the same fate happening to me as well. I have destroyed almost every friendship and relationship I’ve ever had because of Alcohol, I am back living with my mom at the age of almost 37, I don’t have any more chances left if my life and this is a lie or death decision I have to make to stay Sober, I chose to use an app because I need to be held accountable and to have some sort of outlet for my urge to want to drink. I hope that I can be accepted into this community and find some support and motivation in my journey, thank you for listening.

17 Likes

Oh you’ll be accepted!! That’s my first thought.

Now, welcome to TS Dann
Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:
Here are two good threads to start:

I use these 2 threads the most. The Gratitude thread has been my strongest tool on my sober journey.

Lots of great welcoming people on here just trying not to take that first drink again.
Read around and when your willing and feel comfortable join in if you like.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Welcome, Dani, you’re making a great choice to live life without alcohol.
Use all your strength and resources available. You’ll be so happy you did. 🙋

I am brand new here as well. You can do it! I had a rough nite last night but I stayed sober! One day at a time

7 Likes

Hi Dann. I want to make it stick this time too! That’s why I’m here…get advice from others and have a diversion when I get a craving. We all can do this together.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome Dani! This app has helped me tremendously and I’ve gotten to know some of the most amazing people from all over the world. Stick around and read and interact.

3 Likes

I’m happy that your here. Welcome. Im even happier that it sounds like you have made a decision. Thats what I had to do. It’s been the difference between being sober periodically… and actually having SOBRIETY. It will get better. I can say that with complete certainty. My whole attitude towards life has changed. If I can have this happen to me… I believe in my heart :heart: you can to. Keep coming back.

3 Likes

Hey there, Dann! It’s insane, but I think many of us can agree on alcohol destroying so much around us. If it helps, one thing I think thats really helped me is writing; it doesn’t have to be a lot, or it can be, too!

Just one day at a time.
Day 1:
“I feel like this; I want to do this. These are things I’m actively doing to get there.”

And sometimes, what you write might be a bit dark, too! That’s okay. But I think many others can agree, to find a medium to get those feelings out, good or bad, is good all in itself.

You got this.

1 Like

It is 24 hours for me and so the cravings have started. This has been a 4 year struggle. But its time
to let go of this habit that has brought me more heartache than relief. I forget what I used to do before drinking. It started because of back pain and an injury. I was very active prior. Never the less, I know I need more support to make it through. I hear you with ready to make it stick this time.

5 Likes

@Dann and @Allie5309… The first 48 hours was the most for me. 1. I had to move past by feeling of shame and regret, and 2. I had to fight the urges. Luckily, you have us to help:-) We have all been there, and I can say that being sober is amazing , not easy, oh fuck no…but every morning when you wake up, not hungover, with no regrets, and feeling good you are giving yourself the best gift ever.
Check in often, wr want to know how you are doing, read peoples stories so you know you are not alone in this, and breathe…its one day at a time. You got this!

3 Likes

Welcome! This place is a great first step. I drank for over 2 decades. Coming here was my first step into lasting sobriety.

Read a lot! Participate a lot! Chant “drinking is simply not an option” a lot…a day by day it gets easier!

Welcome! This place is amazing, I’m so glad that you are here with us. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome, and congratulations on closing one chapter and beginning a new one. The journey won’t always be easy, but the destination is :100: worth it. Remember that your worth fighting for…and that even at your weakest; your strong…stronger than you know.

Keep reading, talking…growing in a new you. Yesterday is gone…don’t dwell in it; instead have hope in tomorrow, and be patient with yourself today.

Wishing you all the best.

Stay healthy…be Blessed!

:grinning::dizzy::sun_with_face::ocean::raised_hands:t2:

Dann how many days solber do you have ? I to have had a drinking problem for 20 yrs or more . Today I can proudly say I have 8 days solber . 8 days dont sound like much but its a huge accomplishment for me . It was so hard to even get one day solber in. I can honestly say that after day 3 its been a breeze. I feel great and I can see how easily my life can improve with a clear head . I hope you to can enjoy this

4 Likes

I’m 9 hours sober. Very new here

4 Likes

I’ve been using this forum and AA as accountability. What methods are you using and how are you doing?