Recovery Quote of the Day

April 25th

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” - Melody Beattie

When I came into the program, the concept of “living in gratitude” was an abstract impossibility. Almost immediately, through the program, I was exposed to the virtues of practicing a changed perspective of life, one in which I sought out gratitude. The program taught me that “what we think upon grows,” so a change to a positive attitude would require a daily search for the small blessings in life that unfold so often unnoticed or unappreciated. It became evident that if I focused on “what I wanted” rather than “what I have,” that negative attitude would shroud my entire consciousness. In contrast, if I focused on gratitude, life became more satisfying and enjoyable. Gratitude has become the picture frame of my life, surrounding me with a veil of blessings; I just have to be open to the many gifts that life presents. If I let my life be focused in gratitude, there’s no room for bad days. Feeling gratitude and not showing it is like wrapping a birthday present and not giving it. As we celebrate life, I hope we can all open the most important gift, and that is our heart. :heart:

5 Likes

I was exhausted last night Paul and fell asleep early. :sleeping: I apologize for the late post @Dolse71 :heart:

1 Like

1 Like

oh no not the face, it’s been ages since I deserved the face. Absolutely brilliant share today my friend, worth the wait :+1::pray:

1 Like

Have a beautiful day in recovery my brother :heart:

2 Likes

April 26th

"Spiritual Experience, Appendix II - …the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism has manifested itself among us in many different forms. …Most of our experiences are what psychologist William James calls the “educational variety” because they develop slowly over a period of time."

In my early sobriety, the thought of having a spiritual experience was inconceivable. For our founder, Bill W., the room filled with a white light, and he had an immediate and breathtaking spiritual upheaval and awakening. Many of us think we to need to have a similar burning bush moment, but our AA book tells us otherwise. Even then, we usually overthink this concept, and we inevitably short change ourselves. A spiritual experience are those things identified in Appendix II, but it is so much more. Just as we get to define our Higher Power, so too do we get to define our own spiritual experiences. To me, they are any moment or event that changes my attitude and perspective about life in a positive way. We all have had at least one profound spiritual experience, and that was when we decided to walk through the doors of our hallowed program and into the arms of this loving fellowship. They are those God shots, extreme moments of gratitude, or times when we can simply say, “I almost missed this!” It’s a spiritual experience, if we allow it to be one, and no one can take that away from us. When we open our hearts and minds to the many blessings in God’s universe, life itself can become a spiritual experience. :heart:

4 Likes

April 27th

"To finish the moment, to find the journeys end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Someone shared at a meeting recently that, “If they could wave a magic wand and give the gift of sobriety, they wouldn’t, because they would not want to rob anyone of the amazing journey through recovery”. If I heard that when I was new, I would have thought, “That was selfish!” Now, having lived many years of recovery, I completely understand this sentiment. Our ego seeks the destination; our soul seeks the journey. Evolving in this fellowship, with all its ups and downs, has been the best amusement ride ever. It has been exhilarating, scary and thrilling. It takes a lot of courage and perseverance to grow up and be whom you really are and were always meant to be. There are times I’ve had that pit in my gut waiting for the next turn or drop, but mostly, I can’t stop smiling from the amazement of growing emotionally and spiritually into the person I am today. I literally see life differently, where hopes and dreams are now all real possibilities. Do not go through life, grow through life. The journey through recovery has been better than anything I could have ever imagined. Today, there is nothing better than being rocketed into the 4th dimension, and knowing that the journey has now become the destination. :heart:

5 Likes

April 28th

"No one else ‘makes us angry.’ We make ourselves angry when we surrender control of our attitude. What someone else may have done is irrelevant. We choose, not they. They merely put our attitude to a test."
-Jim Rohn-

The awareness that we have control over our reactions is liberating. Before the program, my Irish temper alienated the people around me, and I got the reputation as a hot head with a short fuse. Even though it was very unsettling for me, I still had no concept of the idea that I could actually control my outbursts or temper. The light bulb went off when I heard in the rooms, “If I let you anger me, you conquer me, because I’m letting you live rent free in my head.” We are not punished for our anger, but by our anger. Quite simply, if I get angry at someone, they win, and more importantly, I lose! The reality is that we don’t have to show up for every fight we’re invited. When in anger, we lose sight of finding reason or the truth. We are 100% responsible for what we do and think, and what we do and think dictates our emotions. If we are honest with ourselves, when we are angry, fear is always laying there in the shadows. Today, “I pause when agitated or doubtful, and ask God for the right thought or action” (p. 87). People still annoy me now and then, but I now know to pray for them, admit my part, make an amends, and/or forgive them. Today, I don’t let people live rent free in my head. :heart:

5 Likes

April 29th

"Home is not just where you live, but where they understand you."
-Christian Morgenstern-

You get me. Until I found the rooms of AA, I was a rudderless ship lost at sea. I never truly felt like I belonged in any social situation. Like many of you, I was walking around life three drinks shy of comfortable. A primary attraction of the program to me was the safety I felt in sharing my true emotions. It was perfectly okay to be hurting, to be overwhelmed with gratitude, or just to be uncertain about life issues. No matter what was going on in my life, I knew my friends in AA would be there for me. They say that if you show me someone’s friends, then I will show you their future. If that’s the case, our futures are bright and filled with hopes and dreams. I love that when I listen closely, I hear my future being shared at meetings. In our fellowship, people see right through me, and they somehow still appreciate the view. What an amazing gift to have so many people in our lives that share a common history and can relate to the tsunami of emotions that overwhelm us at times. Today, AA is my sanctuary, my safe haven, my home. :heart:

5 Likes

April 30th

"We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time to outgrow that serious handicap."
Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 125

So many alcoholics wear their emotions on their sleeves. Societal norms portrayed this as a weakness, which we bought into, and this also furthered our insecurities. Most of us, myself included, overcompensated by building impenetrable walls around our emotions. We shut down, usually with alcohol, or with dangerous isolation. “Isolation is the dark room where we develop our negatives.” When we come into the program, feelings (the F-word) erupt within us like a volcano, and we have no idea how to process them. Thank God we are given tools to deal with our sensitivities, like sharing with our sponsor, working the steps, and meditation. I recognize that I am overly sensitive, but this is no longer a liability in life; it is the catalyst to my genuine concern for others. We should never apologize for our emotions, because we would be apologizing for the truth. The lie is suppressing our emotions. Today, I feel so blessed to be able to feel all of life, most of which I now see as blessings and a conduit to further and continued spiritual awakening. :heart:

6 Likes

May 1st

There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead."
Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 88

I have seen and experienced that the program isn’t necessarily for people that need it or want it; it’s for people that do it. Our alcoholic disease centers in our mind, but recovery centers in our feet. We can’t get sober through “assmosis” - just sitting in meetings expecting change in our lives. We can believe wholeheartedly in the program and God, but if we don’t put the principles we learn into action, our faith will surely fade away. This applies to all areas of our lives. We can easily convince ourselves that we are “fine,” and just rest on our laurels. We rationalize or justify away the necessity of contrary action, which usually consists of doing something inconvenient, like getting off that couch to hit a meeting, or doing some Step writing. Procrastination is the 5 syllable version of “lazy.” We are fooling ourselves if we try to think our way into right living; we need to live our way into right thinking. All too often we lose members who test this simple principle. I cherish my faith in God, but I know that only by being of service and taking action will I change my life for the better. :heart:

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Just for Today in Narcotics Anonymous

May 2nd

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
–Mark Twain–

A turning point in my life and career was the concept of “helping others” in all our affairs. It changed my attitude and made me a better employee, husband, father and sponsor. A natural outcome of our principle of helping others is overall simple kindness to everyone in our lives. That transformation became a game changer in my life. The more I committed to “kindness to others,” the more serenity enriched my life. Kindness is a universal language and highly contagious. The more we practice compassion and kindness, the more we see others around us pay it forward. Kindness is an amazing virtue that can inspire creativity, love, and further compassion. Gratitude can begin through the simple kindness of others, and this applies to both giver and recipient. You never know when a kind word may have an unknown and profound emotional impact on someone who was having a really bad day or moment. I know this has happened to me often in life, and I have come to greatly appreciate these angels all around us. I am so grateful that I allowed the program to shape whom I am today. I am a product of the AA fellowship, and I now genuinely like myself, and this fulfilling life of spreading kindness to others. :heart:

7 Likes

May 3rd

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
–William Arthur Ward–

Most of us come into the program with a negative and pessimistic attitude. As we gain time, our optimism about life grows exponentially. This is a good thing, but we have to be careful to remain grounded and realistic. We can dream the impossible dream, or we can live the “possible” dream. Too much focus on future goals takes away the appreciation of today’s blessings. Besides, every day we turn our will (self will and character defects) and life (the results, outcomes and expectations) over to our Higher Power. Play in a field of dreams, but leave the score up to God. In my years of sobriety, I have found great pleasure in making the best out of every situation; turning negatives into positives, and crisis into opportunity. It all starts with faith - faith in a Higher Power, and faith in yourself. It is no coincidence that the people that do the most, usually dream the most, and this is a gift the program gives us if we are willing to take the action. Today, I have a positive attitude about tomorrow, and a grounded appreciation of today. It’s a blessing to have hope, where I used to be adrift and lost in despair. :heart:

7 Likes

May 4th

"When I first discovered that there is not a single “don’t” in the Twelve Steps of A.A., I was disturbed because this discovery swung open a giant portal. Only then was I able to realize what A.A. is for me: A.A. is not a program of "dont’s, but of "do’s."
As Bill Sees It, p. 15

We alcoholics don’t do well with scolding - don’t do that(s) We also don’t do well with "you should(s) – don’t let people “should” all over you. I remember being young and people would ask me, “What’s wrong with you?” I had no idea, and I certainly had no idea I was suffering from untreated alcoholism. Arching up was the only language I spoke. So, when we come into a program of action that is a road map to recovery, and living a peaceful life, we become more open to this subtle instruction. I love that the 12 steps only have “do’s” not “don’ts.” The program certainly has a few key don’ts, like “Don’t play leapfrog with a unicorn” (stay out of slippery situations - it could be fun, but it could also end very badly). This is a program of action; it is what we do that counts. I feel so blessed that we have a program of action, not scolding; the first 100 AA’s did a nice job of drafting alcoholic friendly “suggestions,” and for this, I am eternally grateful. :heart:

5 Likes

May 5th

"Too often we under estimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around".
– Leo Buscaglia –

Life has endless opportunities to be kind and loving. We have opportunities on a grand scale, but I think it’s the small things that end up mattering the most. Since sobriety, I have been told many times by others that something I said or did made a meaningful impact on them. I often don’t even remember the exact exchange, but I know that my philosophy for a long time has been to “be nice” wherever possible. Random acts of kindness are often the most fulfilling. People don’t expect niceties, so when someone goes out if their way to be kind, it can become a spiritual experience for both. In life, we may not always remember exactly what people say, but we usually remember the essence of their message, or the impression they make on us. If we lead with our heart, genuine sincerity is sure to follow. An AA member once told me about an incident in which giving a homeless person his jacket on a cold day redirected his outlook on life (spiritual experience) and reconfirmed his dedication to the principles of our program. At every meeting, we see or hear small gestures of kindness that can or have made a profound impact on someone’s life. Today, I try to be the best example of AA I can be by openly expressing love, care, and kindness. :heart:

6 Likes

May 6th

"In forgiving ourselves, we make the journey from guilt for what we have done (or not done) to celebration of what we have become."
– Joan Borysenko –

Recovering alcoholics are very hard on themselves. We come into the program with a massive amount of guilt, shame and wreckage. The steps, especially steps 4 through 10, help us accept and process our pasts, but it is natural to let self doubt creep back in from time to time. This happened to me not long ago, and when I talked to my sponsor about lingering guilt, his response was, “You’ve made your amends and continue to make living amends, so you have done everything you can. The only thing left for you is to forgive yourself.” I know truly forgiving myself will require a lifetime of positive action in the form of living amends, caring, and helping others. I’ll take that deal! Forgiveness doesn’t change the past, but it will surely shape the future. We are not that same person that came slithering into AA. We are now in a fellowship of men and women dedicated to a spiritual way of life. Eventually, forgiveness makes that long journey from our head to our heart, and we become free. I thank God that I’m no longer that person I was, and that I can accept whom I am today, faults and all. :heart:

5 Likes

May 7th

"Someone’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality."
– Les Brown –

When I came into the program, I was crushed with caring too much of what you thought of me. Early on, my sponsor gave me Chuck C’s “New Pair of Glasses,” and I was profoundly moved by his clear statement that, “It doesn’t matter what you think of me; what matters most is what I think of you, and I love you.” That became my goal, and slowly through intensive work in the program, I began to care less and less of what you thought of me. What freedom! When we realize we are enough, and we truly accept ourselves, we are no longer crucified by the burden of needing others to accept us. It is so liberating to be able to walk into a room of people and care very little what they think of me, because I know what is more important, and that is that I can express unconditional care and kindness to them and others. As our faith and spirituality grows, we no longer need to be validated by people and things for our self worth. Through the program, especially by extending ourselves to others, we can get all the affirmation and fulfillment we need. :heart:

6 Likes

I needed to hear this today, thank you Mr Ed.

1 Like

May 8th

"There is no more aloneness, with that awful ache, so deep in the heart of every alcoholic, that nothing, before, could ever reach it. That ache is gone and never need return again. Now there is a sense of belonging, of being wanted and needed and loved. In return for a bottle and a hangover, we have been given the Keys of the Kingdom."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, p. 276

Deep inside all of us is a desire to belong. No one wants to be alone and not feel like they belong anywhere, but that is the plight of every alcoholic. Our drinking often times isolated us, but alcohol was only a symptom (p. 64). Our alcoholic minds took us to the darkness of loneliness and despair, which if we reflect back, was probably even there before our drinking. Our book tells us that we need to get down to the “causes and conditions,” which for the most part comes through thoroughly taking steps 4-10. However, our aloneness is quenched best by the togetherness in our meetings and fellowship with other alcoholics before and after. Our love and laughter are the remedies that cure loneliness and bind us together. In AA, we are truly wanted, needed and loved. The expression “Keys of the Kingdom” means so many things, but most importantly, it’s being able to live a spiritual life with others. I am so grateful for the enormous family I was given when I immersed myself into this program. Today, I am not alone, and I cherish the fact that I have been given the “Keys of the Kingdom.” :heart:

4 Likes