Relapsed - starting over & sick of the infernal cycle

I make it to 3days and then seem to hit a wall :dart:. I am tired of drinking. It’s really unnecessary - I pretty much end up doing nothing with my time and just going to bed. Plus I am wasting my money. Today is day one and the cravings have come and gone so I know I can do this. I’m going to use the app a lot and give it an honest effort.

38 Likes

Welcome :blush: congrats on day one :tada: definitely make use of this forum, there’s so much helpful advice and supportive members :grinning:

:blue_heart:

5 Likes

I’ve been on that merry go round. It’s so disheartening. I almost gave up. In the end I realised I was scared of nurturing myself. Day 6 for me, after about 132 day 1’s! Lots of meditating (insight timer is amazing) , writing, facials, resting, reading, just getting through each day. Each day is getting easier.

13 Likes

You can do this!

2 Likes

Thanks again everyone. This is hard shit - keeping sober. But I am at the breaking point. It’s now or never.

4 Likes

Ok…,so I managed to stay sober today. Let’s see what week brings. I hope I sleep well tonight as I use drinking as an excuse to make sure I sleep ok. Stupid logic and justification.

13 Likes

Welcome, Alice!
I remember that my relapses usually happened around day 3. I didn’t have cravings on the first day, because I was too hungover and depressed, but by the third day I used to think: “Oh, I’ll have just a glass or two.” Or I allowed something to trigger me so that I could start all over again.
I don’t have much of an advice, as I didn’t have any “system”, plan or whatever one calles it when I took the first steps towards sobriety. But I did have this place, the only place I found loads of encouragement, kind words, sincerity, ideas and advice from those wiser than me. Not to speak about the feeling of safety TS gave and continues to give me.
Congratulations on your day one. And please, don’t think about tomorrow: take it literally one hour, one day at the time.

9 Likes

Thanks so much for that. I’m going to breathe and take things one minute, hour at a time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve been on that exact 3 day cycle, I know it’s hard to get over it. I know you can do it. Also spending a lot of time in the sun and hydrating will help get you kickstarted. And not just plain water, definitely put some sea salt (and if you can get some magnesium flakes), electrolytes, lemon juice in it. And kinds of extra hydrating liquids like aloe vera/aloe vera juice, kefir. Focus on drinking a lot of all of that and sunlight it will help tremendously

5 Likes

Try to focus on putting a sober head on your pillow every night. You might not sleep well but you laid a sober head down and a day tired beats a day with a hangover any time. After a while it becomes habitual and you don’t have to think as hard about it but in your first few days just make it to bedtime. No shame if the day gets tough and bedtime happens early just lay a sober head down at night. Keep going!

7 Likes

Hope is good to have, but hope and good intentions did not get me sober. Here’s some concrete suggestions you can follow. If you want to stay sober more than you want to drink, these thing can help.

For me, I used Antabuse and AA meetings, and some enforced accountability. I got arrested and had to provide a daily breath sample to stay out of jail until my trial - 5 months of complying with that helped me a lot. But I don’t recommend it.

7 Likes

For at least the first month of sobriety, my favorite time of the day was laying my sober head down on my pillow at bed time. I was so relieved to know I wasn’t going to wake up in the middle of the night sick, sheets soaked thru with sweat, knowing damn well I was going to repeat that whole disaster the next day. I was so grateful.

9 Likes

Have you read any quit lit? That really teaches you about what alcohol really is and how to quit.
I liked Annie Grace, others like Alan Carr. Why not buy one (it is probably the same cost as a drunken night) and see if you can make it stick this time?

6 Likes

Just want to let you know your not alone I am on day one yet again myself. I’m not proud of slipping but proud of this day and looking forward to it as I hope you are too.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks everyone for these great tips and materials. I really like the concept of putting a sober head on my pillow at night. That’s strong :muscle: motivation. I am walking a lot and drinking lots of fluids and so far I feel pretty good.

8 Likes

That’s good to hear. Keep it one day at a time from minute to minute :sunflower:

1 Like

I’ve been here. But you can get serious about changing your life from here, today. My last relapse cycle was about seven slips before I looked at my pattern of relapsing and my constant attempts to moderate booze before I realised I just can’t moderate. I’ve tried so many times to be a ‘normal’ drinker and I can’t. And when I decided I would stop trying and alcohol wasn’t ever going to be on the table for me, it made it a bit easier.
Every time that voice pops in my head and says hey you could just drink for this occasion, or just enjoy one everyone and then, I reply back ‘yeah, right! I’ve heard that before!’
I hope you can keep checking in here with us, you don’t have to keep feeing this way anymore :heartpulse:

8 Likes

Hi alycia…i have struggled with that too over the years. One never stays one for long with me. Im at 21 days today. I feel good about that. We can do this!! Mark

4 Likes

Ohhh I had a massive craving that lasted 20 minutes and couldn’t seem to change my mindset so instead, I ate a couple of chocolate chips cookies. I figure I might gain a bit of weight, but at least I’m still sober and really happy about that. Thanks everyone for your messages they really encourage me and your tips and thoughts help me a lot.:slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I was on this awful roller coaster :roller_coaster: for several years. Then I decided it was time to do more than “not drink”. Do you have any ideas as to what you can do that you haven’t tried before?

5 Likes