Sober Hobbies

What kinds of hobbies are you into to keep your mind and hands busy. I am into RC cars & trucks. Sewing and Music

Chime in and tell me what hobby you like and how this hobby helps with getting through sobriety.

11 Likes

Cycling, pottery, Legos, video games, lots of walks, film photography. Slowly but surely teaching myself piano. Gotta keep my mind and body busy

10 Likes

RC cars sound fun! There was a hobby store in the town where I grew up, they sold models and RC cars and planes. I’ve always wanted one!

I write/record music. It helps as it’s an outlet for my feelings and emotions and it’s a chance me to say what I want to say.

I also like to hike/backpack. It’s my me time and a.chnace to become one with nature.

5 Likes

There are several threads on hobbies. You can use the search function to search for a specific or hobbies in general.

2 Likes

Heck yeah.
Disc golf is great.

discgolf

6 Likes

I do paint by numbers (can spend hours on it easily) and gardening

3 Likes

Cycling…either road or mountain…though most of my MTB these days is single track or cross country type of riding. Hiking in the mountains. Driving range…though I don’t play much actual golf…I just like whacking the ball. My oldest wanted to start weight lifting so that’s gotten me back into the gym and I’m having a lot of fun training him. Once upon a time I used to be really into building model planes and cars…I ordered a couple to build on weekends when I can sometimes have those long and boring lulls of not much going on so I might get into that again…my kids seem intrigued as well as it seems that it’s not really a “thing” kids do these days. I got a kit out this weekend and my oldest (13) was like, “wow…this is so 1980s”

Other than that, just random stuff like going to farmer’s markets…shopping thrift and antique stores…going for walks at sunrise with a travel mug of coffee…cloud watching…going to car shows…attending random lectures on obscure topics…live theater…concerts, etc.

3 Likes

Right now gardening. For some reason a 6000 square foot garden seemed like a great idea. Between keeping that going, and camping…thats all i will be doing

4 Likes

My main go to is exercising. But i do also enjoy baking, embroidery, making dreamcatchers, being out in nature, doing my nails or makeup, those kinds of things. What i do depends on my mood and how much time i have. But i like these things. I also enjoy doing activities with my son like lego, coloring, etc

3 Likes

boxing, shadow boxing and kick boxing - love it all and can’t wait to get back into it.
Brisk walking, hiking, knitting, gardening, baking, kayaking

6 Likes

Hobbies……

My wife tells Me that I take naps like it’s my hobby. :joy:

I love reading, playing guitar / fiddle (along with others), wood working, messing around outside with my dogs and chickens, etc…….

I have three kids so working on what they break is a full time hobby. :flushed:

9 Likes

I mentioned earlier about getting back into model building…on a whim I just bought a 3 piece wooden ship set that has a level I, level II, and level III build. I always wanted to try wooden boats as they tend to be a bit more involved and challenging than plastic model builds and require at least some basic woodworking.

I won’t get started with the first for another couple of weeks as we are heading out this weekend to visit my in-laws, but I’ll start going through the build instructions and plans and get my materials list going this weekend at least.

3 Likes

That is disc golf? I have seen some of these things standing around next to the campus and was wondering what this was for :crazy_face:
I learn each and every day on TS.

6 Likes

I enjoy playing the piano, photography, writing, reading, home improvement, gardening, listening to music, video games, cooking, exercise, and learning.

3 Likes

Knitting, Chess, and I’m learning how to rap.

4 Likes

I absolutely love drawing, painting and writting! :blush:
Also, I’m lately a lot into my drums, I enjoy playing on them. They give me euphoria in some way.
Next hobbies which help me are: collecting minerals and crystals, reading books, studying psychology and medicine, photographing.

2 Likes

Decided to sell my car to really immerse myself in the cycling and transit life. The cycling community has been amazing and has helped me not feel so isolated. Not to mention getting outside is amazing for my mental and keeping my mind and body busy.

I also have some film coming this weekend and I am super excited to start shooting film again. I haven’t shot since my drinking days and I am excited to reclaim it :smile:

4 Likes

BBQ, food, trail running, gym.
BBQ goes hand in hand with deinking, so it’s gonna be a tough one to start! Thank gawd for AF drinks

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. Then i realized I could BBQ/cook on a whole different level because I wasnt drunk. I was able to learn and make some really good food.

2 Likes

So I’ve been writing a story I plan on making as an RPG on a laptop. A friend gifted me RPG Maker MV on Steam. I’ve also been practicing Chess. I’m grateful for another day sober.

6 Likes