Sober Selfies #2

Partial seasons have happened before in professional sports, due to strikes, lock-outs, and acts of God. Chances are good you’ll get some games this year. If you are training, I might suggest this workout music

5 Likes

In a lover of football chants ( real football not that American stuff :joy:) . Let us in in your goal chant m8? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had been trying to find a video of it when replying to Yoda earlier, but I can’t find anything. Well, not a proper video at least. I wanted one from the stands but this will have to do…not sure why they recorded this in the locker room. This is from 9 years ago too, the drums are different now. This is the goal song, pretty simple. This is the one I am ALWAYS humming or whistling.
I am fairly certain that about half of our chants are just rip-offs of ones from European football.

And this will give you an idea of what the games are like. You can hear the chant from above after the 1st goal. This is from last year at the final home match of the season when we clinched a spot in the playoff tournament. The drums are how they are supposed to be here, not sure what they were doing on the vid above. I sit in that big group of people behind the net, usually right in front.

One of the unique things we have is that when we score a goal, we have a group of men dressed as Colonial/Revolutionary War soldiers, and they fire off their muskets into the air. You can hear that in the video too.

1 Like

She looks pretty smug about it too lol

1 Like

It’s because she 100% knows she is going to get her way

2 Likes

Yeah that first chant is definitely a rip off but I can’t for the life of me work out what from.
Man this is making me realise just how much in missing football. I havn’t been to old Trafford to see my beloved man utd for a few years now. When you’d virus business is all over and done with I resolve to start getting to some games again. There nothing quite like being sat in the Stretford end surrounded by thousands of home fans. You should come to a game if your ever over again! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Yup…
In prison we have a saying: Stay ready you don’t have to get ready

1 Like

That turner’s a decent keeper!

1 Like

When I went to UK 2 years ago, I made a point of it to stop in Manchester to see a match at Old Trafford. Saw them play Spurs. It was an incredible experience, despite the 3-0 loss. I’d absolutely go again! Had a great chicken curry pie at the half as well :joy:

Yeah, easily one of our best players. He comes up big, often. Super nice guy as well, have met him on a few occasions.
He’s been called up to the US National Squad a few times now so could possibly be featured in the next World Cup if the US somehow manage to qualify…that’s another issue altogether!

Looking good, stay safe too friend :star2:

1 Like

I thought I’d seen your mention a visit to OT but I couldn’t be sure.
One of the most highly charged games I’ve been to was the home leg against AS Roma after some of our fans were stabbed at the away game. We thrashed them 7-1. It was payback at its best and sober spectacle to behold. I’m glad you got to a game, it’s some atmosphere! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It really is.
Same trip, I missed seeing Celtic v Rangers by ONE DAY. It was the day after we left Glasgow. That’s my dream match to go see in person.

That’s one I would like to see also, there’s done history between those two sides.
What are sports like American football like in comparison m8, are the fans just as passionate? I’ve obviously never had the chance to experience such an event. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve only been to one professional American Football game in person in my life, and I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. The team from my area has been one of the top teams in the league for 20+ years now - rarely beaten, and they’ve been to the league championship 9 times, and won 6 of them in those 2 decades. The quarterback (Tom Brady – probably know that name) is largely considered to be the greatest of all time, although he has moved on to a new team just a few weeks ago. He’s 40 or 41 years old. It’s been a level of dominance that really hasn’t been seen before, and it seems it’s finally coming to an end. The fans of the team are very passionate. I’m a bit of an oddball in that I don’t support them. I like watching them, and don’t actively root against them, but my team is out west. I haven’t gone myself because the tickets are just so damn expensive here with how good the team is. Close to $200 US for the worst seats in the house, usually.

Hockey is probably the best sport here to see in person. It is absolutely incredible live…the speed, the physicality. If you ever get to the US or Canada, you’ve got to get to an NHL game. Not really a uniquely American sport though…

Baseball is fun and I love it, but it bores some people because it’s not a fast game.

In general though…I don’t know, I feel that real football can’t be rivaled. You don’t get singing and chanting in other sports, not quite the same level of fan involvement. It’s nice that it’s finally gaining steam here and that the level of players being lured to the league is getting a lot better.

If you ever make it to Amsterdam we have to go to a match Tristan

1 Like

Sounds good, I’ve been to my local ice hockey team many years ago when I was a kid myself though it’s nowhere near as big as in the US, thanks.
Yeah menno @Mno I’d love to go to an Ajax game myself! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Could be a nice TS group outing :sunglasses:!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 2500 replies.

Continued here: Sober Selfies #3

2 Likes