Sugar boycott

I’ve cut out sweets ,buscuits and added sugars , have to say i feel constantly tired at the moment but slowly losing weight , anyone else tired alot more lately ?

1 Like

I was at first, but it’s slowly getting better. Suppose it could be that your actuall filling your days up. Are you getting much self care in these days.
Either that or I’ve got more of it to come in a few weeks.

1 Like

I’m having a REAL hard time sleeping. So NOT what I was expecting! I struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep, so net result is pretty exhausted during day. I reread that article I posted and saw this as a withdrawal symptom:
* Changes in sleep patterns. Some people experience changes in their sleep when detoxing from sugar. You might find it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep through the night.

Today will be a struggle - got an AA celebration and then a party this evening. The mental process on all this is feeling just like alcohol - do I go? I need to bring my own snacks… I need a buddy… AHHGGGG

Time to be grateful - I’m grateful that I know how to deal with these situations and know what I need to do to get through it. I know it is normal and that I am not going crazy. I know that the feelings will pass.
:hearts::snowflake::bird:

4 Likes

3 days and 16 hours…

4 Likes

Day 2
No chocolate and no wine gums.

3 Likes

How you doing Ariel? Just thinking about ya!

Timely checkin mandi, really appreciate it. My hp acting through others… About to walk into a friends potluck. There will be temptation. Using all the tools… :two_hearts::+1:

2 Likes

Text me if you need me! You can do it!

2 Likes

Day 4 in the books.

5 Likes

Damn sugar :expressionless: Friday I went grocery shopping and got me 2 Donuts and some Bagels. I didn’t think about what I buy at all. Of course I binged most of it on friday and saturday :triumph:
But at least I didn’t buy tons of cookies and cake as I used to. My plan still is to replace the unhealthy stuff with fruit or honey here and there.
Back at day 1 and 12 hours

3 Likes

I am so busy , and I don’t sleep as much as I could do with so i know i need to keep on top of that too, trust you to pick up on that Geoff :joy:

2 Likes

This sugar thing is messing with my head. Last night I had a dream I was eating a bunch of cake until I felt sick, then disappointed that I had to reset my counter. SO RELIEVED when I woke up and realised it was a dream. Here’s to the start of day 5. Everyone who has been through this tells me it is so worth it, so hanging on… :hearts::snowflake::bird:

5 Likes

Are you noticing any positive side affects? It’s been getting a little easier for me, but i am still craving it.

So you know how with alcohol we had those times where we decided to drink when we told ourselves we wouldn’t? Like a special occasion? Well I’m going to an all you can eat Chinese buffet tonight for a birthday and my immediate thought was “it’s only one night” “it’s a special occasion” “I’m going to be paying for it, might as well enjoy it”… And I couldn’t believe how my brain so quickly decided to sabotage my goals!? Because my issue has been with over eating in general as well, so this is like the ultimate test and I almost decided to cave. I can’t cancel (I don’t think :thinking:) but I have decided that I don’t want to over eat or eat any desserts tonight… Any tips to keep focused?

1 Like

Oh yea, I hear ya. At the moment, I’m trying to think of it exactly like alcohol - addictive. I am really trying to focus on the “one day at a time” - “get through this minute, hour, day”. Another sober pal who is also sugar free says she plays the tape through for sugar - think about the feeling after - you will feel crappy and not like you enjoyed it. When you are tucking yourself into bed at the end of the night you will thank yourself for not caving, you will not be thanking yourself for over-indulging.

Someone said at a meeting re alcohol, but the same applies (boxing analogy) “hang on like you are in the last round”

Positive effects: I’m starting to feel a little more clear headed, less bloated, more energised, and my bowl movements are starting to seem more normal.

Sleep is still a problem, but I am trusting that will work out in time. And just with alcohol, I trust it when people tell me that it gets better and becomes so so worth it.

You can do this tonight!

2 Likes

Soups! That’s a great idea, and hot and sour is my favorite. Thanks @Vikingsfan

2 Likes

I’m right there with you with those positive side effects.

I need to play that tape through for sure. And a big part of the sugar addiction is feeling like a failure or not strong enough to stay on track. That feeling has such a big impact on my state of mind, it’s almost as bad as the physical affects of sugar.

1 Like

the mental component is tricky - it’s important to both be strong but also be kind to ourselves. I am letting myself eat whatever I want as long as it isn’t sweets. I only feel mentally strong enough to tackle one thing at a time. My xfit trainer said that she likes to made small adjustments in diet and activities, let them bed down, then make another small tweak later. This approach suits me as well, rather than setting up a regime that is unsustainable and make me feel bad about myself. I try to keep my expectations realistic. I didn’t move on to the sweats until I felt strong in my alcohol recovery. At some point I will tackle caffeine, but I know I can only fight one fire at a time.

4 Likes

Definitely, that’s what I’m trying to focus on now. Pretty much eating whatever I want (as long as I’m not mindlessly eating) as long as it’s not sugar.

2 Likes

I’ve read a little bit about “mindful eating” - I haven’t really gotten into it in depth as yet, as still just trying to get the basics under control. But there is something to be said for trying to learn to slow down, focus on gratitude for what we have to eat, chewing slowly and thoughtfully, etc. That is so far from how I operate at present, as I eat so fast that I’m nearly swallowing things whole. I did last night notice at this party that in order to avoid the sweets I was stuffing myself with savory things SO FAST. I tried to at least recognise it, be aware of it, and tell myself “slow down and chew”. Baby steps…!
I think with a buffet, another tactic would be to take lots of small trips - you can always go back for more, rather than getting everything on the plate at once. The additional time of getting up and walking there and back might help give time to let things settle and let your body recognise when it is full.

1 Like

Ok. I did read some stuff about sugar addiction now and how to get rid of it (or at least limit sugar intake).
More leafy greens, whole grains, enough sleep and staying hydrated. Some also suggest to quit coffee :sob: I now see what I did wrong and it was a lot.
I just had dinner and usually I crave sweets after dinner plus coffee. In 30 minutes that craving should stop :pray:

1 Like