The Art Thread

A Hare in the Forest by Hans Hoffmann (c. 1585)

Gemüsestilleben mit Häschen (“Still Life with Rabbits”) by Johann Georg Seitz (c. 1870)

7 Likes

One of my favorite murals in town that I had yet to get a pic of (tough one, on the side of a main road and there was a bunch of construction there until recently).

By Joe Pagac, who is one of the most well-known artists/muralists here. Glad I got the trees for scale, it’s massive.

8 Likes

Mario in Kadikoy

10 Likes

Dutch National Windmill Day! Thank goodness for the windmills and the artists who captured them!

A Windmill on a Polder Waterway, Known as ‘In the Month of July’, Paul Joseph Constantin Gabriël, c. 1889

Windmills near Rotterdam, Johan Barthold Jongkind, 1857

Oostzijdse Mill along the River Gein by Moonlight, Piet Mondriaan, c. 1903

The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede, Jacob Isaacksz van Ruisdael, c. 1668 - c. 1670

" Happy National Windmill Day! 🌬️🌷

“Did you know that the Netherlands has over a thousand windmills? This Dutch icon played an important role in our country’s history, helping to pump water and much more, from grinding grain to sawing wood.”
Pics, quoted text and identification from The Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.

5 Likes

Nice to see you @beardson !!
Hope you’re still eating the cakes!
I know Mario. I spent many hours trying to get Mario to do his thing. My goodness I’m glad I grew out of that! Cute to see him on the wall! Thank you again great to see you!

2 Likes

Got my first ever purchase of a piece of contemporary art home! Pictures taken by my phone don’t do it justice for it is not flat and it looks different from every angle and every way the light falls on it. Anyway, I love it.

12 Likes

Thank you Alisa, I always appreciate hearing from you and I hope you are keeping well. Absolutely still eating the cakes, singlehandedly keeping the economy alive here on the south coast.

2 Likes

I can honestly say I’ve never been so moved by an art exhibition, "Van Gogh in Auvers. His final months”. Not much to add to the title except to say it is to celebrate 50 years of the Van Gogh museum, it’s a coop with the Musee d’Orsay and his very best (IMHO) work is gathered for the occasion. Stunning. Emotional. Overwhelming. I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. And again till it finishes in September. In the morning it is surprisingly quiet, especially compared to the permanent collection where the normal throng of visitors is swarming around. If you have the opportunity come (book your tickets well in advance though)!

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/visit/whats-on/exhibitions/van-gogh-in-auvers-sur-oise

12 Likes

Customised dolls are so beautiful. They have their own specific vibes. :heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

7 Likes

Interesting discussion over here about this statue

3 Likes

Framed Sheilas work

7 Likes

Adding my newest art.
It’s Aquarius (yes! As a zodiac sign) in train. It’s a scene for my concept book as well. :blush:

6 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

What is that?

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Seanie , you are welcome to post a pic when you are able to, you will be able to edit your post to add it. Not sure how long you have to wait to post a pic, some activity on your part and perhaps a few days or so. Again, welcome to Talking Sober.

Georgia O’Keeffe (1887-1986)
Lake George with White Birch
Oil on canvas, 1921"

3 Likes

Poem About a Crow

In a barren springtime field
Stands a woman dressed in black

Crying her sisters’ names
Like a bird in the empty sky

She’ll cry them all out of herself
The one that flew away too soon

The one that had begged to die
The one that couldn’t stop death

The one that has not stopped waiting
The one that has not stopped believing
The one that still grieves in silence

She’ll cry them all into the ground
As though sowing the field with pain

And from pain and the names of women
Her new sisters will grow from the earth
And again will sing joyfully of life

But what about her, the crow?

She will stay in this field forever
Because only this cry of hers
Holds all those swallows in the air

Do you hear how she calls
Each one by her name?

Victoria Amelina
(1 January 1986 – 1 July 2023)

3 Likes

Passed this today, on a flat in the western part of town. The poet is a Dutchman of Iranian descent.

Stop! Stay with me for a bit
Moving vans come and go
But not you, you stay and watch:
Loaded bicycles
The camels of this neighbourhood
Into the sunset
Where the sand from the North Sea changes
Into ships from the Baltic Sea

Here the world lies at your feet.
Take a step
Breathe deeply, then let go
And the future will glide towards you

Abdelakder Benali

3 Likes

Isabel Quintanilla | Vaso (Glass) (1969)
Pencil on paper :scream:

8 Likes

Yoko Ono
“I’m thrilled that SKY (which I created in memory of John Lennon) is at W72nd St subway, just steps from my home & Strawberry Fields. It brings the sky underground, so it’s always with us. I hope this will bring peace & joy to my fellow New Yorkers for many years to come.”

4 Likes