The next right thing

In no literature I’ve ever read and nobody has ever said sobriety is easy!
We have to deal with ‘now’ issues and not drink for them or because of them.
I’ll keep this short as possible, I left my house yesterday at about 16:00ish just to see my neighbour being mugged/robbed, so I stepped in between her and her attacker and pushed him away. She had dropped her purse so I bent down to pick it up and got kicked in the face for my trouble.
The result, 2 xrays, a CT scan, a broken nose, 3 stitches in my upper lip and a overnight stay for concussion.
So the moral of the story is, whilst being sober makes your life immeasurable better, it does not exempt you from the day to day shit that happens all around you and doing the next right thing sometimes hurts!

16 Likes

You did do the right thing.

3 Likes

Oh that’s so scary, I’m sorry this happened to you both. I hope you are both okay mentally also, this is getting really bad where I live in the UK. No one can have their phones out at all they just ride on the pavement on mopeds and snatch them. I fear that as people are now not walking around with out it will create more physical robberies. This makes me sad to see your hurt. :hugs:

4 Likes

I’m so sorry you went thru that. I’m sure your neighbor was grateful to have you step in. I hope you recover quickly!

4 Likes

Brave heart

7 Likes

It’s not that bad in most of Sheffield but our area seems to have gone down hill over the last 6 months, but, Sheffield on a whole is a pretty safe city.
I’ll pray that he gets what he deserves and pray again for him to get what he needs and the serenity I usually have (not quite serene at the moment though).
:innocent:&:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Thank you :innocent:&:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Hang in there! You did the right thing. Being sober, we feel all emotions and feelings, the good and the bad. But I am a big Karma person, and you did a good thing. Rest and feel better! You are a good person. Better than most.

All the best.

6 Likes

Oh no! I hope you heal up quick. Doing the right thing isn’t always easy or painless :mending_heart: You are a hero!

5 Likes

I say to my 6 year old daughter…‘for every horrible person in this world there are many more that are wonderful’ thanks for being you Jim, hope you feel better soon :pray: :heart:

9 Likes

Wow, I’m glad you are mostly OK. I know it could have been worse. But you didn’t deserve this. Sending you healing thoughts. :purple_heart:

4 Likes

:pray: That’s a lot to handle unexpectedly. Please be extra gentle with yourself over the next few days as your mind and body process and heal.

5 Likes

Just an update on how things are today.
It feels a lot worse now that all the swelling has all come up. My left cheek and mouth feel really tight, but, very little pain, so no need for pain killers other than Bonjela for the cuts inside my mouth :blush:
I’ve managed to get a nurses appointment to get the stitches out and an ENT appointment to get my nose reset, which I’m definitely not looking forward to.
In 57 years this is the only bone (we’ll cartilage really) I’ve broken. I didn’t do this amount of physical damage to myself even when my drinking was way out of control :roll_eyes:
I totally agree, it could have been much worse, so I think I’ve got off lightly, all things concidered.
Thank you all for your good wishes and support :100::heart:

10 Likes

This how I look after 4 days :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

9 Likes

Getting there Jim! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, it can only get better :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Argh ive got Tony Blair in my head now :tired_face: lol

3 Likes

What a story. Brave man. I hope you heal well :people_hugging::pray:

2 Likes

The cut has somehow become infected, my cheek is twice the size it was yesterday.
Been to the Doctors and I’m now on antibiotics, again, and, bloody Co-Codamol, I’ll be looking like Penicillin mold soon :confused:
Hopefully this’ll be the end of it and it can start healing properly :pray:

5 Likes

You sir, are a sober gentleman and hero. May I suggest taking a few Krav Maga classes so as to be better prepared for the next right thing?

6 Likes