Truth and tough love

I love the rain. I rejoice the rain. I pray for the rain. Send it west!

I assume the AZ of CaptAZ means Arizona?? I’m heading out the Friday morning. It doesn’t look like you are holding on to those 80 degree days for me. :frowning:

But no matter what it is better than the freezing temps here!!

1 Like

As I was reading some of the articles I just referenced (because I obviously got caught by some very interesting facts and I had to read them), I understood we were just not talking about the same use of the word.

I understand your exemple of excuses made with “trigger”.

I am just biais by my scientific background. Because alcool cues actually “trigger” specific regions of the brain of alcoholics, that can impact on behaviors and control. This is what I am referring too. The activation of these specific regions of the brain can be reduced by, at least, two things, which are healthy coping skills and abstinence.

So obviously, the “trigger” that we feel as an addict will diminish with time and with a better setting of behaviors or lifestyle. Perhaps the early-sober people use the “trigger” excuse more often because it is actually more vivid in their cases, compared to people with more sobriety time under their belt.

So when people are using this excuse, it is legitimate to underline the fact that they have to change their lifestyle, by suggesting programs, techniques, plans, etc. Little tough love might help some. But we can’t say that triggers doesn’t exist, because they’re real and effective. It’s what we do about it. This is what we control.

So cold my phone won’t load my weather app.

6 Likes

I thought I had?

1 Like

Yup. Copper state bandit over here.

It’s still gonna be lovely! Don’t let the 60s fool you, when you’re in the direct sunlight it’ll feel warmer.

1 Like

Can you warm up the Grand Canyon for me??? But at least we’re only going to be up that way (and Antelope Canyon)for 2 days.

Still 5 days in Phoenix area will be great. Actually 1 day near Huachuca. Maybe warmer down there???

Grand Canyon and the valley are totally different worlds. Gets bone cold up there. We used the heat last week, was cold and moist enough to snow down here, albeit it only on the foothills to the north and the mountains encompassing Phoenix. Hell the Estrellas had snow on them.

That’s south Phoenixish

Whippet! I’m just here for the skinny dogs. (I have two…). :heart::heart:

1 Like

All you Americans complaining about the rain, jeez! Its always raining here! God, I was 9 before I knew you could take a coat off!

1 Like

I am West, I’m right in the coast… maybe it will come your way soon?

Its snowing today… :pensive:

Triggers, urges and temptations. The meaning of these have been and probably will be debated until the end of time.

Certain stimulus can provoke, or “trigger”, an urge to drink. For me, the effects of drinking caffeine can trigger the urge to drink alcohol. Or if I am really hungry, that triggers an urge for me to drink. When that happens, I don’t know that I would say I was “triggered”, tho.

Then there is temptation, which could be internal or external forces, i.e. a friend tempting you to drink.

At the end of the day, an urge to drink whether triggered by some stimuli, an internal or external temptation, the choice to drink is yours and yours alone.

3 Likes

Yes, at the end of the line, there’s you making a choice. To be triggered consciously or unconsciously, doesn’t really matter when you have self-control. And if your self control is shit, then you can choose to work on that, by going to meetings, therapy, learning, etc. Triggers shouldn’t be an excuse, but they are real and effective (that could resume and close my position on the subject). I’m really influenced by the existential philosophy so… at the end of the day, we’re always free to choose…

1 Like

Wait! What? I’m back in?? I would like to thank all the basic users, members & moderators (you know who you are) without you, I would have no likes or posts to give :grin::joy::hugs::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

You…really…didnt miss much.

2 Likes

I love this thread.
Love it.
I have just over 7 months. Only through the loving patience of my sponsor, my higher power, and the fellowship of AA.
I agree with what others have said… You hear what you are meant to hear when you are meant to hear it.
Sometimes during my talks with my sponsor I say “I can see your lips are moving but it is not sinking in”
She laughs and says not to worry… The seed is planted.

4 Likes

Oh my god! Yes! Thank you. I hate when people say “trigger” about an external event for an internal condition.
Craving, if you have a drink you start the craving process. If you don’t drink you don’t get cravings.

Step one.

2 Likes

Well… having craving is one of the most important symptoms of the alcoholic disease when it comes to diagnosis… it is actually the only symptom that can be still there while in « recovering from alcoholic disease » condition. You can be diagnosed with an alcoholic disease in remission (recovery) and keep having craving. But again this is from a psychological and DSM point of view…

I’m an alcoholic. I don’t need a reason to drink. Drinking is just what I do. If I start blaming external forces “oh I saw a beer commercial and couldn’t stop myself” or “my work is stressful” or “insert ‘triggering’ event here” then I’m already trying to ditch responsibility. If I drink it’s because I wasn’t doing something right in my program. It will always be 100% my fault if I drink. And if I start blaming “triggers” I would hope someone on this thread calls my bullshit. And calls it hard.

5 Likes