Truth and tough love

How long have u been sober?

If resentments are the number one killer of drunks, expectations gotta be number 2. Seriously, worrying about what could have been, what should have been, and what would have been it’s going to lead right to a drink. I wanted to be a professional soccer player when I was 10, but guess what? Life happens.

It seems like lately this site is an exercise in bitching about what we don’t have instead of being grateful for the things we do have. Quit yer bitching you ungrateful babies. There’s lots of people who would love to be in your situation.

Stop bitching about where you live, at least you have a home. Stop complaining about your family, at least they talk to you. Stop whining about work, you’re lucky to have a job.

12 Likes

Yep. Count your blessings. As I sit safe about 3 miles from neighborhoods still submerged in water, I get the benefit of some perspective. In the nature photos thread, I posted a pic of the area I was supposed to move to about 6 months ago. I didn’t. Here I am, on high and dry land, and I need to get my gratitude horse moving.

***Side note: I can still be pissy about people trying to tell others what I am trying to say. Just 'cause.

5 Likes

I SO agree with this! There is a time and a place for your phone. I like to get on some apps, like this one, in the evening. But, I will not do it if I have company or if I am out with other people. I think it is direspectful. And I have no need to hang with anyone who only wants to speak about the gossip they see on social media.

2 Likes

What really pisses me off are people glancing their phone during aa meetings… :expressionless: disrespectful indeed

3 Likes

Hell yes for gratitude.

Isolation’s a good killer too, though, and everyone’s sitting on something. If that something isn’t getting anywhere I probably lack the perspective needed to change or let it go.

If I’ve gotta, I put it out there and pray fresh eyes see through my bs. Better than waiting for what I’m roosting on to hatch out from under me.

So if really stuck, go ahead and bitch. Then accept or change and be grateful again.

4 Likes

This used to bug me too, but then I found out some of the different reasons why some of the people by me do it. One told me that he only looks at his phone during a meeting to look up the definition of words in the reading that he doesn’t understand. Another has anxiety so has this coloring book thing on there, which makes her feel more comfortable being at a meeting. I found myself doing it one day when my dad was in hospital for surgery. There are those that blatantly don’t want to be there and are only there by external requirement - well, their non-engagement only harms them.

I try to remind myself that if there is something someone else is doing in a meeting (or anywhere, really) that is bugging me, I need to work a little more on my acceptance. It’s a work in progress for me.

10 Likes

Got it. Maybe i just have to concentrate on my own work whatever the reason is, someone cant be without the phone for 2 hrs. Good point, thanks :blush:

2 Likes

Meillon vaan kännykät hiljaselle päätös. Muutenkin osa ramppaa vessassa ja tupakalla…

On joo mut…

Sellanen se orvokki nyt vaan on. Pakko niellä

Amen, most of us need to be grateful just to still be breathing much less bitch about how life isnt perfect, you spent a substantial pat of it fucking it up, just be glad flowers can grow from shit and start working on growing.

5 Likes

I wasted all my likes on memes but there’s some good stuff here.

1 Like

“SHIT” is relative. I learned this in the Marines. Sleeping in a hole, not having a shower or clean clothes for weeks, eating MRE’s, crapping in an ammo can, getting shot at…this kinda set my bar for “shitty” pretty high.

Others haven’t experienced this level of “shitty”, so any reduction in the normal standard of living, seems “shitty”.

Where my patience gets tested are those with “poopie diaper syndrome”. Sure, it’s a stinky mess, but it’s warm, soft, and all mine. They’d rather sit in their stink, than do something to change it.

I drink, because I hate my job.
Get a new job.

I drink, because I work in a bar.
Get a new job.

I drink, because my relationship sucks.
Get a new relationship.

I drink, because I’m bored.
Find something to do.

I drink, because I’m lonely.
Meet some people.

And on and on it goes.

17 Likes

I drank because it banished fear, and there has been fear since I can remember. Probably also the reason i hide behind humor… lately, theres not a serious thought in my head…

7 Likes

Yes the little voice in your head is real!
Yes it’s going to try to stop you!
Why, because you are an alcoholic, and your body wants the drug.
You can’t just give up and expect it not to fight back!

4 Likes

128 days!!

2 Likes

But what if I have the literature on my phone and I am following along? I mean, of course, not while people are sharing or telling their story!! But sometime I think it might be nice to read along with the preamble or how it works etc (because I really don’t know it all yet). I haven’t done it simply because of how I fear it will look. I used to have my Church missal on my iPad and would use that during mass rather than use the books there. I’m sure LOADS of people thought I was reading emails etc.

2 Likes

That made me giggle.

But you are right. We should all count our blessings. We should all go right now and add to the gratitude list thread.

3 Likes

Going.(101010)