Truth and tough love

“People will believe any damn thing.”

-Some Guy From the Bahamas

2 Likes

I met that guy! He was selling cheap mid grade pot on the beach to tourists for $30 a gram :joy:

4 Likes

Was this in the 80’s, cus I had some guy offer me pot and to meet him by some garages on the seafront. When I got there, there was a cop car waiting on the road. I kept walking up the beach!:thinking:

2 Likes

Hey people, can some of you please stop trying to “test” your resolve by walking into bars, going to restaurants that serve alcohol, walking into liquor stores, or keeping unused alcohol in your fridge from your last relapse?

You’re not testing your recovery, you’re jeopardizing it.

And when you brag about how passed the test, what do you want from me? A Congratulations?

The fact is,

You did not pass the test, you failed it. Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad you stayed sober.

You failed because you pulled the trigger.

You were just fortunate enough to have dodged the bullet that was in the chamber.

You want to pass next time?

Stop Pulling the Trigger!

12 Likes

Well said Kevin x xxx

1 Like

I was going back and reading some old bookmarked threads today. I usually save the ones where people think moderation is the best way. Very few of those people ever seem to come back. Maybe the moderation thing worked, but my guess is a few are dead and the rest are living horrible lives. I hope that’s not true, but I’ve seen what this disease does.

2 Likes

Hit the nail on the head.

Addiction is a cunning SOB. In order to stay ahead of it, it is imperitive that we be smarter than it. This includes not putting ourselves in a position to fail, “test” or no test.

2 Likes

I know you made this comment last year but the full explanation of the stages was actually my daily message on sober tool app and has. come to make me realise perhaps why this time feels right to develop the tools to stay clean of narcotics. Perhaps my hp at work thanks

2 Likes

Illegal steroids are drugs. Period. They may not get you high (I really have no idea) but they will certainly kill you like any other illegal substance. I have a client who’s organs are shutting down due to continued use of illegal steroids.

3 Likes

I still cast a weary eye towards non-alcoholics. Probably a character defect of mine, but I know what has worked for me so far and I don’t plan on changing it. I listen to alcoholics because they have been where I am at.

7 Likes
  • Help!! I have to go to a bar and I don’t know what to do??!??

• umm, don’t go?

• I can’t do that. Isn’t there some secret to going to a bar with 30 days sober and not drinking?

• no.

• lololol ookkaaay. I can always just reset next week.

• yep that’s the spirit

12 Likes

All ya can do is offer advice and hope they’re relapse isn’t fatal I suppose. The way I look at it is if someone with more clean find than me offers advice then I’d better bloody take it :blush:

2 Likes

@anon13078412 True but those people with more clean time didn’t take that advice either at the start. They had to reach a point of no return and no one can achieve that but ourselves. All the advice on here can definitely help change your mindset definitely. But everyone on here started in a very bad place to many varying degrees but all with the eventual same outcome. But the advice will only start sinking in when our journey has really begun

4 Likes

This is the truth for me lol.

2 Likes

“at the start” … you reached your tipping point though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree completely but I was at that point having been kept alive through CPR until ambulances arrived on two separate occasions which was what I meant by I,d (I had) better take it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

English, you and I seem to preach a similar sermon.

WHY do people think they can maintain sobriety by way of a phone app?

This forum is certainly nice, but it’s not therapy. It can not take the place of flesh and blood people in your life.

You can’t cure addictions with a cellphone.

7 Likes

I’m not posting this here to call out anyone…but the other post was closed so I couldn’t reply.

Most alcoholics do not want to moderate, they just don’t want to admit that they can’t drink anymore. It is only when we surrender and give up that thinking that we find true peace.

10 Likes

I personally don’t know why we give people like that credence. Should just ignore them!
Totally understand that everyone has their own opinions. But the op knew enough about TS to know the reaction a post about moderation would get.

3 Likes

You know what’s easier for an alcoholic than moderation?

Being sober.

13 Likes