What an Alcoholic Really Looks Like

If you’re on the fence on whether or not you’re an alcoholic, take a good look at this alcoholic.

I never drank booze from a paper bag out on the streets. I was never homeless and I never pan handled. I never drank first thing in the morning, in fact, I only drank after 5PM. I drank craft beer and wine, I was a sophisticated drinker. But no matter how I justified it, I was your run of the mill, average drunk. I drank to get drunk almost everyday. I couldn’t have just one, it was all or nothing.

For the longest time I refused to call myself an alcoholic because I didn’t do all those things an “alcoholic” does. I was only fooling myself because I was doing the ONE THING an alcoholic does.

My name is Dan, and I’m an alcoholic. Take a good look because we are everywhere. We are teachers, students, lawyers, judges, doctors, moms, dads, brothers and sisters.

118 Likes

There you go raising the bar on us fugly degenerate drunks.

:wink:

14 Likes

Dan, you are amazing. Great post :two_hearts::bird:

5 Likes

Thank you for this post. So very true.

2 Likes

You thought you were a sophisticated drinker.:thinking:… You still got that addict still deep down inside you still…:rofl:…its when u realize ur no better off then that bum drinkin outta a paper bag. And life sucks sophisticated or not…

6 Likes

Awww Goat, but you are the most beautiful!

2 Likes

Such a good post. So true. So real. Same.

2 Likes

That is so true. I met quite a few homeless folks and found that there isn’t much difference between us and I also realized that a lot of us are really only one stupid decision away from becoming homeless. It’s that stigma that is so dangerous.

12 Likes

Lol so true :100::100:

2 Likes

Thanks Dan. Very good post. They/we are all around like walking deads. I too drank wine and stole my husbands quality whiskey whenever i could, but finally i didnt care what was numbing me as long as it had alcohol in it. Ive never thought id be better than those paper bag drinkers. Actually my oldest friend recently told me that starting from my youth the hardcore boozers always came to talk to me and i talked back. It still happens. Waiting for train or at grocery queue they always catch me. Well drunkard knows another i say. I see a human underneath the outlooks& addiction. But actually i have a weird thought, that they are angels whispering wisdoms at me :thinking:

8 Likes

Thank you for this post. I went to an AA meeting and got the side eye for not having hit the bottoms others have. My drinking pattern is still insane even if I’ve made it work. It’s still cancer causing, blackout causing, relationship ruining, life ruining. Even if you’re successful.

9 Likes

Great share Dan.
Like you it took me a while to figure out that the wino on the park bench wasn’t me. but could have been if I hadn’t made that right turn at the crossroad.

7 Likes

Yes, the difference between us is only the air we breathe. We are them and they are us but somewhere along the line, we likely had more resources (however defined), support and hope and there but for the grace of God go we.

8 Likes

Thanks. That was the phrase I was looking for but couldn’t remember it. (It’s too early for me)
I know that that’s where I would have ended up.

3 Likes

Ha, now we are finishing each other sentences @anon12657779 :wink::blush: - that must make us friends!

2 Likes

Exacly! I could have written it myself :hugs: But with different picture :sweat_smile:
Thank you for sharing!
:heart:

2 Likes

Even retired Landscapers lol

3 Likes

Completely spot on. When I first joined here I was extremely surprised by how normal we all appear… on the outside…:scream:

6 Likes

Dammit…this is spot on!!

The only thing different for me was that I didn’t drink to get drunk (or at least not conciously). I wasn’t the goal. But I just didn’t know how to stop. Once I had that first drink I was drinking until I fell asleep.

9 Likes

Thanks Dan. I really needed to read that today. I’ve been part of the rooms for a decade and have met folks from every segment of society. I have one friend in my home group who is currently homeless (by choice - he says ‘home free’). He also has 10 yrs sobriety. I’ve also known a retired law professor with 30+ yrs who went back out. It does not discriminate one bit.

7 Likes