Gardening In Recovery

That remains a dream of mine too! Makes a whole lot of sense and is pretty awesome… I was just going to mention chickens haha, the more independence the better, nice :v:

2 Likes

Vegetable season is finished by now, but there are still blooming and colourful spots in the garden :blush:

and guest chicken at my Mom’s - neighbours have some :grin:

10 Likes

I guess I was wrong about tomatillo and chile harvest being finished. And I’m making salsa tomorrow!

8 Likes

I spent a few hours working on end of season tasks and it was therapeutic but bittersweet. It’s all part of the season. My guy built me a sweet compost bin to empty out my pots and put the leafy greens and our kitchen scraps (finally! I hate throwing them away). Got all the chile pepper plants done, trimmed down the wild tomatoes and did a bunch of dead heading. Still sooooo many tomatoes on these plants that are looking gorgeous.

7 Likes

I have a real small garden so I grow a lot of plants indoors. I have more then 20 :hugs::heart_eyes::seedling::herb:

This is one of theme… it’s an Alocasia.

9 Likes

You should check out this thread:

It’s be the perfect place to post your houseplants! 🪴
P.S. Your Alocasia is beautiful

3 Likes

Just perennials here! I love lavender, lambs ear, coneflower and hydrangeas!

2 Likes

Coneflowers are one of my favorites. I ought to plants some…

1 Like

Ooooh yes come join the thread Rosa linked!!!
Nice plant!!!

2 Likes

Oh thanks :blush: I will check it out :seedling::v:

2 Likes

Anyone remember the potted thyme plant I decided to plant in the ground last fall? Well, here is the before and after:

11 Likes

I looks great! Thyme and Sage are some of the few things that survive my winters. I just have to dig a path through the snow to get to them.

2 Likes

Our pecans are big this year because of all the rain we got! So ready for more to drop :yum:

11 Likes

I should plant some sage. It is actually kind of hard to find fresh sage at the groceries here. Good to know it survives the winter!

4 Likes

I love all the fall garden surprises when some things die back and I find other vegetables that are still thriving and were hidden underneath. A squash plant went crazy around the garden and I found this real long zucchini standing up underneath it in a back corner.

10 Likes

A few weeks back I noticed aphids had overcome my milkweed which is why no new caterpillars have been seen. After the lacewings showing up to eat the aphids and neem oil last week I saw a bunch of new baby caterpillars…I was so excited!!! The next day or so the lizards and wasps had eaten them all! I was so sad!! Today I checked and found one lone monarch caterpillar survivor and a monarch butterfly laying eggs!! Hoping to get this butterfly garden thriving again!!! I know it’s the circle of life, trying to be patient!

10 Likes

Oh my goodness. We had a hard frost last night so the tomatoes had to come off the vine but I didn’t realize how many I had! Yikes.

13 Likes

I had a similar thing happen, but mine were eaten by praying mantises!

Work in progress. Any tips on getting the pecans without breaking them?

8 Likes

From what I’ve read, snipping the ends first seems to be the trick to keeping them whole. Here’s a video with tools you probably have at home.

3 Likes