Who motivates you?

Someone who is a big impact on my recovery is my doctor. He has supported me from the beginning and checks in with me regularly. When I fell he was there to set me straight and made me see why I wanted to become sober.

9 Likes

Wow thatā€™s awesome that he does that.

Hmmā€¦ honestly most of the people or things that motivate me arenā€™t recovery related. Itā€™s more about what Iā€™m not able to do when Iā€™m acting out or recovering from a relapse.

Knowing that Iā€™ll be a better friend, family member, counselor, and a better person for myself is what motivates me.

And of course yā€™all do, continuously taking the road less traveled. Yā€™all are inspiring!

2 Likes

My sister motivates me. My kids too.

And the following @MandiH @Yoda-Stevie @Englishd @BillS @Bill_Phillips @aircircle @RedDragon @anon19498634 @Mephistopheles @Lionfish and many many more (can only mention 10). Whether they know or not, everyone here motivates me to be the best I can.

19 Likes

Hey, same here! Really needed to hear this today :heart:ļø

6 Likes

ā€¦ thank you.

1 Like

A couple gals in my IOP group. Theyā€™ve inspired me because theyā€™ve come along way in their recovery. My elderly neighbor motivates me too. Heā€™s 72 and heā€™s still a go getteršŸ˜€

3 Likes

And my best friend of 25 years. That woman is amazing. I love her with all my heart. She doesnā€™t bullshit me and tells me the truth. I admire and respect her honesty.

1 Like

Iā€™m out of likes but great post!

Iā€™m motivated by the amazing sober people here, my son, my family and friends. I have my ā€œundesignatedā€ sober person who motivates me just by being them in the times when I struggle. I really love my people & myself enough that I want to stick around as long as I can now with them! Iā€™m just getting started on the good stuff, thereā€™s a lot I want to do with them still.

Edit: My dog Colton also motivates me a ton! Training requires focus and consistency, neither of which are possible with alcohol.

5 Likes

I want your confidence ā€¦ thanks for sharing

1 Like

I love that not something you have to do but get to do ! What a way to word it !!! :heart:

1 Like

Cant wait to be on your perspective! I hope Iā€™m there soon.

1 Like

I completely agree, sobriety is such a blessing. I had no idea it would be like this. And so thankful I ā€œfoundā€ it lol

And thanks @Dejavu!! Right back at you, :100:

3 Likes

Ikr. My poor furbabies were so neglected. They are so much happier since I put the poison down. Although, Iā€™m still fighting the mornings because Iā€™m still trying to get my sleep pattern back on track. Slowly but surely itā€™s all falling into placeā˜ŗ

I just sat down after wasting my evening and feeling depressed and said to myself ā€œI really need some motivationā€. I still have to get my kids ready for bed. 5 4 3 2 1 GO. (Mel Robbins is pretty motivational)

1 Like

@Dejavu
Ditto. I also really needed to hear this. Thank you.
And Iā€™m inspired and motivated by everyone here too.
Now Iā€™m all weepy, in a good way :sob::sob::two_hearts::two_hearts:

5 Likes

My biggest motivation is my two sons, more specifically breaking the cycle. My grandfather was a heavy drinker, my dad too. I donā€™t want them to ā€œbe like daddyā€ and follow the same foots steps as the men in our family all seem too do.

4 Likes

My biggest motivation in the beginning was my kiddos. I quit for them to start, but as I learned to love myself I realized that ultimately I had to quit for myself.
The health issues, the marital dissatisfaction, all of the aboveā€¦ the unneeded weight I gained from wine aloneā€¦
All of it was motivation enough for me to quit for good!

5 Likes

All the people I see who have struggled with alcoholism and addiction and are winning that daily battle? You inspire me.

My husband and my children who believe so much in me? They inspire me.

The people I know who have lost this battle? Who keep going back out, have never stopped, or who played the game once too often? They motivate me to never live that life again.

10 Likes

Iā€™m motivated by my kids. I want to be a good example for them. Iā€™m also motivated for my own health. My mother died young, she had cancer. Iā€™m affraid to get cancer, so want to live healthy.

3 Likes

My kids 100%

3 Likes