Why is it so f. hard to stop drinking?

I know the theory. But still. This hour comes and I have such urge to drink that the theory is flushed away. It’s like breaking up with a loved girl. Whyyyyyyyyyyy

11 Likes

Just need to change your mindset in that moment. Think of the bigger picture, and try to do something different maybe go for a walk, or idk something you may enjoy. But keep trying

11 Likes

Maybe a new path try a sober group might help being with like minded people wish you well

8 Likes

Its so hard because is a terrible illness
We have to change our mind set which isn’t going to be easy :pray:

7 Likes

I know the feeling that hour brings. I felt it everyday for years and always followed thru, until the day I didn’t. It’s exactly like @Mindofsobermike said, you have to change your mindset. You are in control of your thoughts and actions. You know what happens after a drink. Remind yourself of that when the urge comes. All day every day if you have to. I did in the beginning. I thought about every horrible thing alcohol has done to my life EVERY SINGLE TIME I thought about drinking, without fail. The correlation between the two became so strong that the thought of alcohol immediately turns my stomach to this day. Pavlov was onto something. All the best :pray:

11 Likes

You’ve set your neural pathways to that hour. Change up your routine. If you consistently crave at 5 spend 4:30-5:30 at the library. Then make drinking repellent. Stop associating drinking with good things, like love and start really looking at it. Alcohol makes us tired, broke, fat and anxious.

16 Likes

Good advice from others and I agree. Switch it up. If you are usually sitting around at the witching hour or heading to the pub, go for a long walk in a park instead. Or a bicycle ride. A warm bath. Take a yoga class. Hit the gym. Go to a movie. Do something different. We need to change our routine for awhile to learn a new healthier routine.

12 Likes

If was easy there wouldn’t be programs, and books, and forums dedicated to stopping. I agree with changing up the schedule. In early sobriety I made a daily plan of what I would do, so I had no loose time where I might be encouraged to drink.

8 Likes

Every time you pick up now it is a choice. You don’t need to do it alone, join a sobriety group like is already suggested before. There are plenty nowadays: AA/NA/Recovery

3 Likes

Self love.

Does it make rational sense to drink poison and hurt yourself?

I had to do the work to get to the “why” of things. Drinking and drug abuse are only attempts at finding a solution. It’s what lies beneath the reason you use that’s the real target to be focused on. The battle lies between our ears and how we think. Embrace your inner self and love yourself. I found that my low self esteem and low self worth over decades is the real enemy.

4 Likes

@Mindofsobermike , @Ray_M_C_Laren , @Sharon21 , @Just_Laura , @TrustyBird , @SassyRocks , @Misokatsu , @Aussie_Tiger , @Rob11 :two_hearts: appreciate your replies, read it over and over again, and I could relate to every single item You mentioned. So true… I’m going to wellness/sauna for few hours during the most critical time today, there’s no chance I will drink upon return home.

7 Likes

It is hard to focus on the theory when the urges hit hard. What I find helpful is to keep myself busy (both mentally and physically). It also helps having your go to support systems ready (join in here to connect, aa or other type of group meeting - in person or on line… etc)

Our addict mind will try many ways to try and get us back to its messed up clutches. Stay strong friend. ODAAT - we can stack up the days friend.

4 Likes

I like going to meetings in the evening as it’s the time of day I struggle with the most. Helps me keep my focus and forward momentum.

1 Like

@JazzyS, @Laura4 - thank you, and totally agree… So did my xy reset this morning after surprisingly deep and almost 8hrs sleep, filled my daily diary in this app with logical arguments on alcohol and addiction for a later time plus plan to go here during urges, make myself busy. Started this day with something my liver will appreciate most - smoothie from blueberries, white grapes, nectarine, baby spinach, salt.

3 Likes

That’s a solid start… great job on working on your journey. Keep up the solid work :muscle:t4:

1 Like

Hi Bunto, I hope you’re doing good!

Everyone else advice here is spot on. But here are my two cents based on my experience:

For me, stopping was/is hard because drinking was easy. All you need to do is drink this substance and you’re less anxious, happier, confident etc - on the surface, sure. But it goes no deeper. For everything you get out of your high, your body/mind has to pay back in the coming days, tenfold.

With anything that you do that’s difficult, there has to be something of long term value that makes it worth it. With the drinking, it has to be something that you can convince yourself is way better that the immediate relief of the high. You won’t be convinced at first and this is normal, its a ride out process :ok_hand:

You basically have to retrain your mind into doing the things that truly bring you the positive feelings that the alcohol gives you as a trick; things like Hobbies, interests, goals etc. It’s a different kind of hit, but the hit comes after doing something of value to yourself :blush: without the hangover/embarrassement/drunken argument/injury etc.

Always remember, alcohol doesn’t make you happy, it makes you happy - it’s all a substance trick, and it’s lining someone else’s pockets.

Worst case of stopping is you give your body a break, best case could be life changing for you - see what happens!

I hope some of that made sense, I believe you can do this :muscle:!

5 Likes

@ChrisJ94 - very nicely put, thank you. Regarding the ‘ride out process’ - that’s what I underestimated which lead to relapses, was cocky enough to think I’m able to control it. Well, I can’t, what a surprise.
There’s whatsoever no value for me from alcohol, it’s just a trick as you wrote.

Great stuff, reading thru this one again and again, over and over. Creating new neural path :grinning:

1 Like

Anything worth having or doing is hard. My sponsor said it’s a gift called “Hint” :grinning:
The best skiers in the world have fallen down the most! :skier: And other analogies…
You’re awareness is awesome. :+1:

1 Like

@Mindofsobermike , @Ray_M_C_Laren , @Sharon21 , @Just_Laura , @TrustyBird , @SassyRocks , @Misokatsu , @Aussie_Tiger , @Rob11, @ChrisJ94, +Laura4 and Nairb- so just wanted to let You know that all the mental work also with everything what you’ve shared with me clicked in, and yesterday was my first day I went to bed with clear head after some time I was in total darkness, circle of tiredness etc. Thannk you :heart:

16 Likes

Well done, just take one day at a time :+1:

2 Likes