365th day of sobriety

Hey friends, new and old. Today is my 365th day of sobriety. I mean, I still need to get through today, which is a challenge as I am chasing after young children and am over tired (due to the kiddos). HALTing all day long, but if I play my cards right, I will have completed one rotation around the sun sober by the end of today.

For those that don’t know me, there is a bit about my story here: 11 months and what it was like

So how do I do it?
-Take it one day at a time
-Attend AA meetings, work the steps with a sponsor, and help others
-Individual trauma and substance abuse therapy (EMDR and IFS)
-Spend a lot of time on this forum, writing and engaging with others
-Read a lot of recovery related books, listen to speaker tapes
-Meditation and prayer
-Attend a Buddhist Sangha for meditation with others and focus on gratitude and being present
-Reach out to others when I am feeling off or struggling or when I am feeling just fine and want to check in on others - daily contact with other sober people (both AA and non-AA people)
-Write a gratitude list daily

There are so many other things that I am sure I am missing. Many of these things have just become part of my daily routines without having to think about them anymore.

Life sober isn’t always rosy - I’ve had to learn how to cope with big emotions and how to function in daily life as a sober person, which has been confusing and hard, but life is definitely a million times better sober. It is beyond my wildest imagination. Even when I am struggling, I feel free.

Thanks to everyone on this forum - this place is where I started my journey and encouraged me to find my way into the rooms. I still can’t do it without you - getting real time encouragement when I am struggling, or reminders of where I don’t want to be, helps me enormously. You guys have saved my butt many times throughout the last year. You’ve laughed and cried with me and encouraged me when I was struggling.

If you are just starting out or are struggling - stay, read, ask for help. There is real magic in continuous sobriety, and I know that the best is yet to come. When I started out, I couldn’t believe people who were 3, 6, 9, 12 months sober. A year seemed unimaginable to me. Yet taking things one day at a time, here I am.

Lots of love in sobriety,
Ariel

61 Likes

No offense to anyone else, but this post is friggin awesome!!!

Thank you for being you Ariel, and for sharing your journey with such clarity and composure.

Keep going and keep sharing your strength and wisdom.

:kissing_heart:

PS: and thank you for being there for me via PM. Love you :heart:

11 Likes

One of the best shares I’ve read on here, thanks Ariel and congratulations you have definitely earned your year. Hopefully somebody will read this and fully appreciate the work it takes to get where you are today and beyond​:+1::shaved_ice::ice_cream::doughnut::birthday::birthday::100::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

And a lifetime of thanks to you, my friend. :partying_face: :hugs: :ice_cream:

18 Likes

wonderful! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Congratulations on your year Ariel!! You are a inspiration!! :heart::birthday::heart:

3 Likes

Great post Ariel :heart:
Partytime!! :dancer: :man_dancing: :dancing_women: 🤸

3 Likes

Ariel, you have been with me since my day 1. You were full of great advice and you seemed so confident. I think it wasn’t until I was on six months, ( when @Dejavu came over here) that I realised that you are only 20 days ahead of me.
When I started I felt 20 days to be as unattainable as 365. Thank you for being here with me and allowing me to journey with you.
Congratulations my friend :smile:

8 Likes

Very nice :blush: congratulations!!

10 Likes

You’re so right… continuous sobriety is full of magic. As are you! I love following your progress here, how you share triumphs and show by example difficulties can be overcome sober, and help others with your gentle words.

Congratulations on your first full year of this new life of yours! :smiley: :tada:

6 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Congratulations Ariel! This makes me smile!! Thank you for being here! :blush:

3 Likes

@ShinGodzilla I would like you to read the post that started this thread, written by a phenomenal lady. Forget trying to create your own how to beat addiction method and start doing some of this.
Sorry folks I’m not trying to derail this thread just show someone who’s struggling a true success story. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I’ll check it out.

5 Likes

It’s a perfect example of the things we need to do and the amount of work it takes to get and stay sober. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You have inspired me so much. Congrats!

9 Likes

Congratulations again, Ariel :blush: You truly are an inspiration!

4 Likes

Yassssss :ice_cream::bird::raised_hands::dancing_women:🤸 :sparkles:

tenor%20(5)

5 Likes

I read your complete story and it was frigging wild and inspirational. I want to congratulate you on 1 year birthday and you are an amazing woman. Thank you so much for sharing and GOD bless you.

5 Likes

this is freaking fantastic, ariel :sparkles: thank you for including your tips! hugs to you :hugs:

4 Likes