Crabs in a Bucket

Day 38 here. Enjoying sober life, as opposed to non-sober life. I am enjoying this forum, and what it represents to me: Addicts at different points in their sobriety sharing their experiences, triumphs and defeats. I understand that we all have differences. Different addictions, but we do share one thing in common: A desire to be free.

I’ve met some beautiful souls here. Genuine people. Givers, not takers.

I am happy, not “high”. I am happy because I am once again at the wheel of my life, rather than lashed to the mast, waiting for the storm to pass.

I was sharing a PM with one of the great people I’ve connected with here. I shared that the bloom is starting to fall from the rose. I don’t know if I’ve just become cognizant of it, or it’s just popped up. I’ve noticed a bunch of negativity of late.

I’ve trained for war, and fought a war. A real one with bullets and bombs and bad guys. I’ve been in the suck, and I know that a positive mental attitude and a will to win are the bedrock of successful mission accomplishment.

Nattering Nabobs of Negativism can destroy a team, sink a ship, or wreck a relationship.

If you’ve never eaten a Blue Claw Crab, you’re missing out. I love them, and have caught many a crab myself. Nothing is better than bringing home a 5 gallon bucket full of them. They are fascinating creatures. I’ve spent a good deal of time just watching them, in between checking my traps. I don’t claim to be a crab expert, but I am an aficionado.

A crab will move to the edge of the bucket. He can’t move any further, so he stops. Another will try to climb on top to get out of the bucket, but the first crab will grab a leg or a claw and hold the 2nd crab down. Soon, most of the crabs are all stuck together, stacked one on top of the other. Finally, a crab will get high enough to get a claw over the rim of the bucket, and will start to pull itself out. Either one of two things will happen at this point. Either the crab will get free of the bucket, and run to the edge of the dock, back to freedom. I might catch it, and put it back in the bucket. or it might make it to freedom. But another thing might happen too: just as that crab is about to get free, another crab reaches up and pulls it down, back into the bucket.

The bucket is my life with alcohol. It’s where I am trapped. I’ve gotten over the rim a bunch of times, but have been caught and put back in the bucket, by what placed me in the bucket in the first place: Alcohol. The first time I got caught in a trap. Every other time has been because I let it catch me as I ran for the water. I’m out of the bucket, back on the dock. Been running for the edge for 38 days. Alcohol is trying to catch me, put me back in the bucket and I won’t let it.

Another thing, I won’t let another crab pull me back down either. They may be content to sit in the bucket and determined to have company. I am not. There’s plenty of room on the dock, but I’ve got no place in my life for the bucket, or the crabs in it.

41 Likes

This story is ducking awesome. I needed it this morning. Thanks for sharing and let’s all keep running down the dock towards freedom!

1 Like

What a fantastic analogy!!! I love it.

As for the forum…we go through waves. We get periods of high, then periods negativity. It is tricky to navigate these times. I left for a long time because of brutal negativity that was going on. But new faces do seem to have brought us back to a new place. I’m hopeful.

2 Likes

Thanks for the positive energy you repeatedly and consistently put out there to the forum @Yoda-Stevie. You have been one of the main motivators and voices of reason on this forum for me from the beginning of my journey. Keep laying down the fresh, realistic and inspiring perspectives. People need to read your words to counteract the negativity out there. Positive vibes! :facepunch:t2:

4 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie. I always look forward to your posts.

38 days is huge!

Also, wanted to applaud you for the creative energy you use to make your point.

We are all at different phases of our journey and I always liken defiance and negativity to denial.

The freedom that comes when we truly recognize it has been ourselves creating this hell and the outside forces are not the enemy but in fact the inner voice is the real center to the havoc.

So many come from such broken places that anger has been the thing that has kept them alive. Unfortunately it is just like alcohol. Good solution to protect us at first but eventually swallows us whole.

Many people are too early in their journey to even seperate the Ego from the truth. All negativity comes from fear and Ego which are the same slaves that had us by the throat with drugs and alcohol.

To see it is to be aware and the awareness state is the first state in this long road of pain, sorrow, growth and real lasting change.

Soon this caterpillar becomes a butterfly and the anger, denial and negativity becomes our biggest asset.

You have always been the voice of reason that gently nudges people to seeing themselves in truth.

That is a gift that few possess!

I cant do this alone and I am so glad to enjoy traveling this road with people such as yourself.

Negativity is the path of least resistance the easy answer is to yell at the world and drink.

Unfortunately, deep denial is fatal for many of us. For that my heart weeps even if at times they dont freaking deserve it.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for this. I love this positive boost this morning, just got to work and read this-- great way to start my day.
“I know that a positive mental attitude and a will to win are the bedrock of successful mission accomplishment.” LOVE this. I’m going to write it in my journal tonight, if you don’t mind.
Have a great day everyone!

2 Likes

Excellent anlogy of the fight. Inspiring post. Thanks.

1 Like

b96e02c5c9ca9b6ce3f8880d3558f97cebcd54f6c04f4bba95778827ca07485a

8 Likes

Fixed it. App kept wanting a link.

So I’m with you @Yoda-Stevie and everyone else who posted a reply to you. This forum is one of my tools in my toolbox. I need you guys! I choose positivity because it’s one of my traits, but not everybody can or wants to be be that way. It’s a defense. We all choose how we react to posts on here. Nobody on here is a licensed therapist. We’re all just doing our best to string as many sober days as possible. Sometimes people need tough love, but they always need love in the end.

3 Likes

Love this :blue_heart: needed to see this today!! Congratulations on day 38!!!

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie your wise words helped me through a very tough time a few days ago… thank u from the bottom of my heart.
This is an incredible, insightful, positive and very true post.
Keep rocking your sobriety! You’re awesome!!!

1 Like

Man I needed to read this today. Stuck on a crowded train with a loud drunk crab chugging on Heineken. I kept running, it nearly grabbed a hold of me. Fine now, but going to call my sponsor in the morning :grinning:

2 Likes

If it helps, I get a lot out of your posts. You are very giving and thoughtful. They have helped me.

2 Likes

It does, thank you. We all help each other, or at least try to. That’s why I love this community.

Beautiful souls here. I want to be where the beautiful souls are. I choose here. Thanks to all who’ve commented and contributed.

Peace!

1 Like

I love this so much!! And It’s such a great description of what we are all dealing with. Thank you for being a bright light in this forum!

2 Likes

Maybe go with a couple of hermit crabs. Lobstah is fa dinnah where I grew up.:grinning:

Wow very well said. Thanks for the share

1 Like

This is fantastic. Thank you. Yes that’s it. My friend is a crab in my case actually encouraging me willing me to get back in the bucket

1 Like