I feel like a piece of shit

I feel like a piece of shit. I cant stop drinking I’m trying to stop. I really am but I can’t.

10 Likes

Yes you can. Try harder, if you want something bad enough you’ll stop. I felt the same for a long time, and it was because I really didn’t actually want to stop. I was afraid of what life would be like if I quit drinking. It is scary, nor is it always easy. I promise you can stop. Say no to that first drink, find a higher power, it doesn’t have to be god. but believe in something greater then you and ask it to help guide you. You can’t just say oh I want to stop and feel sad about it, put in the work and push as hard as you can no matter how much it hurts. You have a choice everyday you wake up, choose to live, choose to be happy.

21 Likes

Thank you!!

Thank you hun

Edited by moderator to remove number.

Please private message for number.

Shouldnt put your number up sweetheart wish you well thanks Donna xx

7 Likes

Please take your number down. After a few years on this platform I can tell you that there are always a few people here that should definitely not have that information. Also, people who are not signed up for this forum can read posts. Any ol person can grab that number.

8 Likes

You have a disease. You are not a POS.
Just don’t drink today.
When you think about having one… say, God restore me to sanity for 5 minutes. Do it all day if you have to. Say the serenity prayer and ask God to take away the obsession.
Even if you don’t want to do it anyway. Fake it til you make it.

5 Likes

I hear you. I know that feeling. It’s low, it’s blue, it feels like you’re nothing and going nowhere. It’s really rough :pensive:

You are doing something that is a big, big change, probably the most important thing you’ll do in your life. It is not an easy thing. It takes effort every day. But it is the best thing you can do, and it is worth it.

You need a support network. You need people you can call, a community you can reach out to when you’re feeling shitty or at risk.

You can build a community in one of the recovery fellowships - there are meetings happening all the time:
Online meeting resources

You can find one of the recovery programs here:
Resources for our recovery

And of course Talking Sober is like having a meeting in your pocket. There’s usually someone here.

Don’t stay alone love. I know you have your baby to care for, you have a job you work at, a home you maintain - you have responsibilities. You are capable & you’re a good person and a good mom. And like all of us, you need connection with people. Reach out and build your support network. It will help.

And don’t be afraid to be daring in building that support. There are a lot of things people are afraid to ask for (or don’t think to ask for), that if they did ask for, they’d get. For example: I need a meeting where I can bring my child (at many, you can, and many parents do). Or, I need a meeting in the morning before work (they exist). Always ask, always search, always believe you will find what you need. You will.

Take care love and remember: never give up on yourself. You are a good person who deserves a safe, sober life where she can be her full self, for herself and for the people she loves :innocent:

6 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up anymore than you need to. With this app you will beat it. I’m on day 10 and I feel absolutely incredible, the couple days of bein sober sucks but after it. Its amazing, check out my journal “back to day 0 but was it worth it?”. It was a daily journal on how I felt and how I could feel changes. Without this app I wouldn’t have 10 days today, iv also been on this for 10 days… That’s how good and supportive the members are on this.

5 Likes

You’re not a piece of shit I promise. A piece of shit wouldn’t try and stop. You can do this!!!

Your not a pos, the majority of us here would have called ourselves that at some point. I wouldn’t really give your bumber out via pm either gun,at least not until you have really gotten to know someone. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well pants weren’t we all a bit shitty when we kept using whole we didn’t want to.

I for one was a piece of shit at times for sure, and I can say now that getting sober and accepting that using does make me an egoistic ass and whatnot was the start of getting clean once and just for today.

So no we’re not shit we might behave shitty and feel weak.

To OP I’d say, seek help don’t try to fight this disease alone. It’s a b****h

I was a piece of shit too. At least I sure felt like one all the time.
It wasn’t until I seeked out some help that I learned that I had a disease called Alcoholism. That it wasn’t a moral issue of me not having enough will power to quit drinking. Nope. It was a disease that I needed to get treatment for

I found/find that treatment atAlcoholics Anonymous
Never thought that I would end up there, but I was desperate. I didn’t think AA was for me, but I was desperate. I couldn’t keep on going the way I was. So it was blow my head off, or sit in a room with other drunks for an hour at a time. A day at a time.

I have been sober 3.5 years. @Ray_M_C_Laren has been sober over 30. And there are countless others like us. There is nothing special about us. We hold no special quality that got us sober. Nope. We just followed a program of recovery that was payed down by other drunks.

“Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of Insanity.”
-Albert Einstein

6 Likes

Im new to this and I am a heroin addict ive ben clean for 8 months off of that. My next goal is weed. Dont think its bad i just dont wanna do it anymore i wanna be completely sober. But my biggest struggle is at night time. When its time to go to sleep i cant. Its very stressful brings alot of anxiety and I begin to get depressed at those moments. What csn I do to fall asleep at night???

I posted this on another thread, but I’ll repeat it here (just suggestions of course!)

• Make sure you stop consuming electronics (phone, TV) at least one hour before bed. Reading books can help keep your mind distracted and relaxed during that time
  • begin a regular exercise routine for yourself, and do it at least a few hours before bed. Doesn’t have to be crazy, just moving your body in an enjoyable way regularly can help with sleep (yoga is my personal go-to)
  • this one is super random, but it’s what I do to ease my anxiety brain at bedtime. I pick a subject and then I go through the alphabet and name something for each letter. For example, animals…A is for alligator, B is for bear, C is for cat, etc etc. For X I’ll just use something with X in it like fox. Skip letters if you can’t think of anything. It’s best to pick a fairly easy subject, something you don’t have to think hard about. I usually fall asleep somewhere in the middle of my second or third alphabet subject.
    It becomes a bit Pavlovian once you’ve done it for awhile. Just typing this out made me sleepy :sleeping:

Anyway, like I said super random but it works for me so it may be worth a try!

6 Likes

I agree with what Tess listed above. I would also suggest trying melatonin. It’s really important to have a bedtime routine. I typically like to get into bed at least an hour before I have to be asleep. I’ll wash my face, brush my teeth, get into bed, take a melatonin and then read. Usually within an hour of taking it, I can’t even keep my eyes open. And this is from coming from someone who suffers from insomnia and used to be a heavy pot smoker!

How are you today?

1 Like

Definitely not a piece of shit. Glad you chose to be here, and that while you are sorting out some tough thoughts, ultimately you want to get clean.

Hooray for your courage to take these steps!

1 Like

I’m wondering too! @Gonzolady how you doing?

And if I’m recalling right - you shared about your daughter back in June - doesn’t she have her first birthday sometime soon? :partying_face:

1 Like