Just looking to chat

I’ve never been spiritual… Trying to find some way to find a higher power, and find a way to let go of things and know that even if this job doesn’t work out maybe something else I need is coming

Thats great that you decided to put sobriety first. Im agnostic myself and like to believe everything happens for a reason - every trial and tribulation is a lesson. My logical brain finds the concept of god hard to grasp. A higher power could just be the universal energies.

2 Likes

oh thats really cool! I’ve though about going to insurance agent route once im finally tired of serving tables… i might pick ur brain these days. Those tests pretty tough?? I met a girl studying for them in 2016 when i was in outpatient treatment and she had this hugggge notebook…
and i have ideas on “higher power” that might help you out. its quite a bit to get into, but no im not religious myself. I think my best advice is to pray, and wait to see yourself feeling or doing better. its worked a lot in my toughest times, no idea how it works out in this universe but i figured i would give it a shot over the years and each time i do i feel a difference.

3 Likes

It’s nice to connect with other agnostics. Not that everyone’s higher power is God in AA but it often is some form of that so it’s hard to relate. I don’t knock anyone with religious or spiritually, I’ve met some great people through the program they believe. I like the idea of the universal energies.

I have a sponsor and they recommend I pray so I do do it each morning and night. I’ll even do asking for help throughout the day. Im not always sure who I’m praying too… but I’m definitely willing to try and realize I don’t know everything. I haven’t felt much from the praying yet but change comes slowly sometimes.

I was in insurance sales years ago. I passed the tests my first time, but it definitely took some studying. I’ve never been a people person so sales wasn’t my strong suite but if you can handle it you can make decent money. More recently I’ve worked on the back end in an analyst role

1 Like

i used to be full blown atheist from 14-like 20’s but at some point i did start to see a spiritual aspect to the world, so i get it. I feel like it took a long time before I noticed good changes in my life… so i suggest, just keep doing it. one thing that really helps me out is gratitude.
for example i was supposed to move into my own place in 2019 but its very possible if i had not had people around me while going thru very bad withdraws I could be dead… took me that entire year of drinking myself almost to death, to stop and realize that it just would have been a lot more dangerous if i was alone, at the verrrrry least. and that gratitude and realization is what makes me feel there is a higher power watching over me.
that is just one example… i notice a lot of things these days though. so yeah, i think its great ur willing to give it a chance.

1 Like

I’ve lost the people in my life due to my actions… but for me that may unfortunately be what was needed. I don’t know if I’d tried to get help without hitting a bottom as bad as it hurts being alone. There’s been plenty of times in my life my perspective had been challenged and I realized my thinking was wrong or not the full picture. So I have to be willing and open. I’ve started a gratitude list a few weeks ago, but haven’t written in it in awhile so I should go back to that too

Check out the gratitude thread

1 Like

well i will just tell you my personal opinion is that you sound to be on the right track and like you have the right frame of mind having an addiction that is not always easy but im just happy as heck to see it. get back to your gratitude list and watch blessings come to you im telling you that aspect alone works. gratitude could be your “higher power” if you wanted, as they say it doesnt matter what it IS just that you believe there is something stronger than yourself, an energy if you will, that can guide your body and mind to a better life.

1 Like

Nice to meet you! Welcome

The meme thread is the best :joy:
You can also read through the old meme threads too, I do that a lot.

It sounds like you’re getting good things out of AA. I found it such a relief to be with other people who understood what it’s like, the support you get there is amazing.

I will say though that if after a while you’re still not finding a higher power, there are other programmes besides AA that don’t require higher powers or anything to do with that so don’t worry. Like SMART recovery for example. I also don’t do AA anymore because I couldn’t force myself to believe in a higher power etc

1 Like

So many good people I’ve met in AA, but part of me does feel like I’ll never find or feel a higher power that so many speak of. I talk to just about anyone that will listen and try to find bits and pieces of their spirituality that resonate in me. The best I’ve been able to come up with is believing in the power of the fellowship and kindness found in the rooms.

I’d hate to lose the local community. I’ve tried a secular online meeting but really value the face to face interactions even as introverted as I am The closest in person Smart meeting is about 65 miles away but I may join online. Thanks for the resource.

1 Like

I appreciate the kind words, the conversation, and ideas. Thank you

How the heck are you doing today?

Hey, good to see you. How are you? I’m early in recovery. Days have been mehh for the most part. Bringing my body hoping my mind will catch up. I’m happy to have found this community.

Im cautiously dipping my toe into aa. Found a cool zoom meeting at noon california time so when i start my new job monday i will only be able to attend weekends but i think ill keep going back. Shared a little yesterday and today which gives me energy and joy, maybe with time ill open up more. Day 17.5 alcohol and weed free…doing this thing one day at a time

1 Like

Congrats on the new job. Zoom meetings are nice because you can find them at virtually any time of the day. I still prefer the in person meetings as I can connect with people face to face and local but it’s nice having both options

God close doors to open up better opportunities #BelieveThat

1 Like

I did not believe in a power greater than myself when I joined AA, over 4 months ago. By getting a sponsor, actively working the steps and going to meetings, I had a spiritual experience that made me open my eyes to the other ways in my entire life that my higher power has been looking out for me. After this one experience I realized that a lot of the big moments I thought in my life that were coincidences where actually my higher power being there for me in my time of need. My suggestion is give your 100% to the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, read at least the first 164 pages of the big book, listen to speaker tapes, work with your sponsor, and participate in meetings. Eventually you will have spiritual experiences that will hopefully give you that belief and trust in a higher power that I now have. And man am I grateful for it. You got this! :+1:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

Also, you will have a spiritual awakening as a result of the 12 steps, says it right in the book. Seeing this result in everyone I have met in AA who has completed the steps is what helps give me hope to keep putting the effort into the program and to keep on fighting.

They have what I want. Period.

2 Likes

You’re right, They do have what I want. I want what’s in the promises and they give me hope. I tend to go to 2 meetings a day and have gotten through chapter 4 and start of 5 in the book so far. My higher power is AA and the rooms at the moment and I’m okay with that for now. I don’t know if I’ve given :100: but I’m open, honest and willing and plan to start. Thanks for sharing

Thank you for sharing and thanks for being here! Your moving in the right direction! Don’t get discouraged. It will happen, it all just takes time. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like