Just looking to chat

Just looking to chat. Was turned down for a job. Tried to keep busy went to an AA meeting and met an AA friend for lunch. Just trying to make friends

5 Likes

Im here ALL the time to distract myself from boredom nights and weekends. I have 16.75 days free from alcohol and weed. Im feeling good besides the random cravings

2 Likes

What threads are you following on here?

Here to talk to if ya need it

1 Like

I’ve browsed a few threads, some of the memes, the atheist thread, some of the motivation posts. Just joined the other day

Yea I’m down to talk to anyone. Looking for sober friends

Tell me about your story and your drug of choice

1 Like

im in the mood to chat today. sorry to hear about the job… but you know, sometimes it ends up being for the best.

I shared a bit in my first post, I never know where to start. I’ve always been depressed and trying to find anything that would give me some sort of positive feelings. I struggle with most relationships due to trust issues or issues with expecting to much from other people instead of working on my own flaws. My drug of choice has changed throughout the years, depending on what I could easily get. I spent the last few years smoking weed pretty much sun up to sun down. Most recently I wasn’t able to get that and switched to alcohol. I spent about 2 months in a drinking bender before checking myself into a mental health facility where I finally got clean and have been clean since. Sorry I’m sort of all over the place

4 Likes

Always down to chat

1 Like

what kind of work do you do?

I’ve been in insurance doing a few different things for about 10 years. I quit my job about months ago due to my drug habits and poor decisions and am finally trying to get back to work

1 Like

I’ve never been spiritual… Trying to find some way to find a higher power, and find a way to let go of things and know that even if this job doesn’t work out maybe something else I need is coming

Thats great that you decided to put sobriety first. Im agnostic myself and like to believe everything happens for a reason - every trial and tribulation is a lesson. My logical brain finds the concept of god hard to grasp. A higher power could just be the universal energies.

2 Likes

oh thats really cool! I’ve though about going to insurance agent route once im finally tired of serving tables… i might pick ur brain these days. Those tests pretty tough?? I met a girl studying for them in 2016 when i was in outpatient treatment and she had this hugggge notebook…
and i have ideas on “higher power” that might help you out. its quite a bit to get into, but no im not religious myself. I think my best advice is to pray, and wait to see yourself feeling or doing better. its worked a lot in my toughest times, no idea how it works out in this universe but i figured i would give it a shot over the years and each time i do i feel a difference.

3 Likes

It’s nice to connect with other agnostics. Not that everyone’s higher power is God in AA but it often is some form of that so it’s hard to relate. I don’t knock anyone with religious or spiritually, I’ve met some great people through the program they believe. I like the idea of the universal energies.

I have a sponsor and they recommend I pray so I do do it each morning and night. I’ll even do asking for help throughout the day. Im not always sure who I’m praying too… but I’m definitely willing to try and realize I don’t know everything. I haven’t felt much from the praying yet but change comes slowly sometimes.

I was in insurance sales years ago. I passed the tests my first time, but it definitely took some studying. I’ve never been a people person so sales wasn’t my strong suite but if you can handle it you can make decent money. More recently I’ve worked on the back end in an analyst role

1 Like

i used to be full blown atheist from 14-like 20’s but at some point i did start to see a spiritual aspect to the world, so i get it. I feel like it took a long time before I noticed good changes in my life… so i suggest, just keep doing it. one thing that really helps me out is gratitude.
for example i was supposed to move into my own place in 2019 but its very possible if i had not had people around me while going thru very bad withdraws I could be dead… took me that entire year of drinking myself almost to death, to stop and realize that it just would have been a lot more dangerous if i was alone, at the verrrrry least. and that gratitude and realization is what makes me feel there is a higher power watching over me.
that is just one example… i notice a lot of things these days though. so yeah, i think its great ur willing to give it a chance.

1 Like

I’ve lost the people in my life due to my actions… but for me that may unfortunately be what was needed. I don’t know if I’d tried to get help without hitting a bottom as bad as it hurts being alone. There’s been plenty of times in my life my perspective had been challenged and I realized my thinking was wrong or not the full picture. So I have to be willing and open. I’ve started a gratitude list a few weeks ago, but haven’t written in it in awhile so I should go back to that too

Check out the gratitude thread

1 Like