What books are you all reading?

3 Likes

Something like that. A short one full of wise thinking that you can apply to any obsticle you come accross. Highly recommended.

Just finished the Shadow and Bone series. Highly recommend it. The show makes 0 sense if yilou havent read the books. Also, as always, the books are far better than the show.

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie I like the look of the end iis always near.
@VSue also like the look of the giver. Will give them both a go. Thank you both

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, or the Basic text of N.A. I’m about to start reading out the big book right now and its 4am here lol. Other than that “Sybill” was a trippy book.

1 Like

@SassyRocks hope you dont mind me sharing your link here?
I thought it an appropriate place to post it and hopefully help others to try and help themselves as much as possible.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not at all. That link gets shared a lot!

Here is a direct link to the many recovery lit books and memoirs I have read over the years…

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s fabulous :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really enjoy all of his podcasts too: Hardcore History, Hardcore History: Addendum, and Common Sense. I agree with his conclusions more often than not, and when I do disagree, it’s usually in degrees of difference, rather than a wholesale rejection.

Dan Carlin are both lifelong students of History, formally educated as such, and this heavily influences our world view, but there are differences in life experiences, faith, and chosen vocation, which can account for where we differ.

Still, I am thankful that I found his material when I did: when I entered sobriety. His podcasts were so valuable to me on my walks, which were a key part of getting through that tough first 90 days.

@Yoda-Stevie I’m listening to hardcore history right this minute Steve.

1 Like

Which topic/title? I just finished Ghosts of the Ost Front for about the 20th time, as Eastern Front WW2 was my focus area/senior project in college. King of Kings is another of my faves.

Episode one
King of kings …Spartans at the minute. :+1:

1 Like

Enjoy! He does a fantastic job of weaving the historic tapestry of this period.

When I’m at work I listen to audio books and the one I’m on now is so chilling it’s called White bones by Graham masterton it’s free on the audible app in the UK.

Yeah, I’ve seen that advertised a lot recently, it’s in my wish list. if you like the southern bayou then stephen kings bag of bones is a cracking read, beautifully written centering on the disappearance of a female blues singer it’s a pretty good movie too. Hope you get that interest back. :+1:

1 Like

I’m reading American Gods and Hell of a Book

It certainly is, I cheated and listened to the audiobook while working …again.

1 Like

I just finished a phenomenal book . Bewilderment by Richard Powers. His previous book The Overstory and this one won a pulitzer prize. He’s a very gifted writer. I’m going to attemp to read a non-fiction Awakening From the Daydream reimagining the Buddha’s wheel of life and a novel My Dark Vanessa simultaneously.

1 Like

My Dark Vanessa was quite something! I don’t know that I would say I “enjoyed” it…I did, however, find it intriguing, well written, disturbing and at times riveting.

My current read…just getting started…

4 Likes