What books are you all reading?

Apparantly the 2nd book is not really related to the original story other than it is the same town…but all new characters. I guess a lot of people wanted to know what happened after the first book so a sequel was then written (3rd book I think). But I just don’t want to know. I was devastated and crying after the first book (and I read it when I was like 45!!!) but that is what was so beautiful about it.

2 Likes

Just finished listening to Allen Carr’s “The easy way to control alcohol”. He has a point but it is not that simple in my humble opinion. That is exactly what I am practicing but life is not all whistles and bells. He is right about facing the bad days by getting drunk making it worse, we all know that. I don’t really intend to start a discussion so I am moving on to the other books I recently listened.

I listened to Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut twice even though I have already read it years back.

I am listening to the “Kitchen Confidential” by Anthony Bourdain whom I liked very much and effected great deal by his suicide. I feel like I lost a friend, a kindred spirit. Hearing it from his own voice is hard but still nice.

Next? Robinson Crusoe. I have read it many times when I was a kid. I was absolutely obsessed with it. I want to read it again.

3 Likes

Great selection of books!

I am reading Gifts from the Sea and Less Than Zero…two very dissimilar books.

2 Likes

I’m reading the bitcoin standard
Try it out if you are ever interested in crypto

1 Like

Alcohol lied to me. About face. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Crime and Punishment ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky

1 Like

I want to ŕead Lao Tzu, Art of war again after Robinson Crusoe.

1 Like

It’s around 60 pages isn’t it, the art of war?

3 Likes

Something like that. A short one full of wise thinking that you can apply to any obsticle you come accross. Highly recommended.

Just finished the Shadow and Bone series. Highly recommend it. The show makes 0 sense if yilou havent read the books. Also, as always, the books are far better than the show.

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie I like the look of the end iis always near.
@VSue also like the look of the giver. Will give them both a go. Thank you both

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, or the Basic text of N.A. I’m about to start reading out the big book right now and its 4am here lol. Other than that “Sybill” was a trippy book.

1 Like

@SassyRocks hope you dont mind me sharing your link here?
I thought it an appropriate place to post it and hopefully help others to try and help themselves as much as possible.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not at all. That link gets shared a lot!

Here is a direct link to the many recovery lit books and memoirs I have read over the years…

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s fabulous :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really enjoy all of his podcasts too: Hardcore History, Hardcore History: Addendum, and Common Sense. I agree with his conclusions more often than not, and when I do disagree, it’s usually in degrees of difference, rather than a wholesale rejection.

Dan Carlin are both lifelong students of History, formally educated as such, and this heavily influences our world view, but there are differences in life experiences, faith, and chosen vocation, which can account for where we differ.

Still, I am thankful that I found his material when I did: when I entered sobriety. His podcasts were so valuable to me on my walks, which were a key part of getting through that tough first 90 days.

@Yoda-Stevie I’m listening to hardcore history right this minute Steve.

1 Like

Which topic/title? I just finished Ghosts of the Ost Front for about the 20th time, as Eastern Front WW2 was my focus area/senior project in college. King of Kings is another of my faves.