You might be an alcoholic if

When I was typing that out it took me back to me doing each and one. I feel immense sorrow for that man. I can see how much misery and pain he was really in.

I do feel like I’ve lived two lives. The old me died the day I put the bottle down. Getting sober was and is my greatest achievement. We will always need reminders about how it was and how it would be if we ever went back. Fuck that :joy:

16 Likes

Definitely have done this :man_facepalming:

2 DUI’s, Had an interlock device for 3 years, hid bottles (full & empty), drank before during and after everything, lied about drinking. Finally have some sober days in the bank. Today is day 11. Let’s hope it sticks this time.

11 Likes

Hope alone never got anyone sober. What concrete steps are you willing to take to get sober?

3 Likes

all i can do is my best

2 Likes

My best got me in front of a judge and a chair in AA.

Here’s a couple of threads with positive steps people have taken to get and stay sober.

9 Likes

When you’re hitting 3 different stores as to not embarrass yourself :roll_eyes:. And using cash at some and cards at the other so it doesn’t look like you bought all that on the same day.
When you decide the motorcycle is the correct form of transportation to make the last minute emergency run to the store at 1am so that you won’t run out and have enough to get through the morning.
Watching your wife of 25 years walk out of a detox center crying, because she’s leaving you there 2 weeks prior to Xmas.

15 Likes

Swap wife with sister and it’s like reading my own story @Jasty2 :pray: Were miles and miles apart and don’t know each other but the disease is identical.

Relating and never comparing was a key lesson to learn. Thanks for your post pal. I got a lot from it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey Dan, look up on YouTube sobriety stuff; lots of things from others to help you. :wink:
Here’s one from someone who knows something about it…

10 Likes

When you pass out while throwing up in the bathroom while also eating a banana wake up on the floor forget to swallow said banana and are still holding the other half of said banana

7 Likes

If Monday you’re picking up a tall boy on the way to work to curb your hangover until shift end

If you do that until Friday

If you’re me 5 years ago

6 Likes

This is so true it almost makes me sick to read

“ Because I…” insert a trauma packed childhood, learning to cope through the military and an intense dieting regime.

“Because I…” was definitely not ok

BUT now with the help of the sober team, I am.
Stay strong proud people

2 Likes

If a drinking binge ends in the hospital with 7 stab wounds with no clue why for several days, then get a big bottle as soon as released.

9 Likes

If your new years resolution is to stop drinking but you don’t actually stop until the 3rd because you were too hung over on the 1st and 2nd.

5 Likes

You say you are suffering depression and that is the reason you drink. When truly it happens the opposite, you drink and, because of your booze abuse, you get depress. In four words: real problem is alcohol.

From my point of view it happens this fact: the older you are the bigger are emotional hangovers, no matter how big are your physical hangover. Usually when you are young, emotional problems trends to zero.

8 Likes

If you go to the hairdressers half cut with a half bottle of vodka in your pocket blackout and wake up in your bed look in the mirror and see you have had your hair done and cant remember a thing ,thankfully it was a nice haircut

10 Likes

Throwing up black and brown vomit. But classing it as a tactical chunder and more room in my stomach to drink so continue on.

Being passed out Xmas eve on the front room floor unable to put the presents under the tree because I deserved a blow out. While my husband plays Santa and picks up the pieces.

Weird writing it out actually makes me go ‘shit I wasn’t as in control with my drinking as I thought I was’

9 Likes

It’s amazing what we thought was normal or a good time. Great reminders of why we press on.

4 Likes

Even as you celebrate another month or week or day of sobriety you know you would really still like a drink.

It is the stories of relapse that keep me away from it.

I wish you all the best.

13 Likes

If you leave your child sleeping in the hotel room and, since you don’t want the receptionist to know you’re drinking - yeah, as if he didn’t notice it - you walk all the way to the drugstore to buy a stash of vodka to get you through the night and the morning after.

If you end up in a hospital while on vacation all alone in the middle of a panic attack and the doctor advises you to “change your lifestyle”. Two days later, you’re drunk before you even get to the airport. Sometimes the face of that incredibly nice lady from the other hemisphere pops into my mind. Then I remember another one, that of a nice doctor in a small town a couple of hundred km from my town where I got while on a weekend trip. I think that was one of the last - if not the last - times I’ve had a drink.

When you leave in the middle of meetings, theatre plays and/or medical exams to buy yourself a bottle of vodka, because, once you start drinking, you “know” you MUST NOT find yourself without the booze.

11 Likes