You might be an alcoholic if

• You’d rather drink alone than sharing your booze…

• You’re the only person who (after 3 glases of wine over dinner) finishes the bottle on a regular wednsday night

• You can turn any day, season, moment or occasion into a drinking occasion!

• The day after a night out, you wonder why you always end up being that guy who argues with people just because you’re to drunk to understand the conversation. And basically offend them

14 Likes

You might be…

If you think it’s a good idea and pull the fire alarm on the hospital that just drew your blood for a DUI, thinking you can get your specimen before they test it.

9 Likes

So is this like the war story table in rehab? I mean I’m in if that’s the case, just wanna make sure.

Or is like Jeff Foxworthy jokes for drunks cuz I can do that too.

8 Likes

Probably a bit of both. I read the whole thread and you’re in there quite a bit early on! Seems even from the beginning it is a combo.

And some lightening up could be nice, too

7 Likes

You buy shooters or half pints because it’s only a few and you can have just a few right? Then drink it and return to the liquor store several more times.

7 Likes

This topic just reminded me of how many empty bottles would be surrounding my bed. It was insane!

7 Likes

finding empties in every possible hiding place

5 Likes

If you go on a 3 year bender after getting almost a year of sobriety under yoir belt

13 Likes

You had to always drive with a 22oz bottle of 6.7% beer on the way home to cover you till you got home. And your work was a 12 min drive…

6 Likes

You think it’s acceptable to pick up your child from school at 3pm after a bottle of gin then drive them half hour home then fall asleep at 4.30pm.

You leave said child in bed asleep at go to the Off License as you know it’ll close shortly and you have nothing left.

You attack the father of the bride at the wedding you’re at because he’s pulled you to one side as you’re pissed by 1pm.

You wake up in a police cell at 6am not knowing how you got there but your hands and face are covered in cuts.

Youre woken up at the side of the road at 7am by somebody going to work asking if you’re okay.

There’s a vodka bottle hidden in your toilet cistern.

The first thing you do when you wake up is reach out for the vodka so you can level out and get up.

Nobody likes you, you don’t even like yourself

You think it would be better to just take yourself off and die because you are worthless and a burden on everybody

You piss yourself

You shit yourself

You eaten dinner out of the pan it was cooked in because there’s no clean dishes. Washing them seems like it would take more effort than a climb up Everest.

The only time you’ve been outside in the last 3 weeks is to go buy booze and drugs.

The guy in the off license bags your beer up in a black plastic bag for you instead of a transparent one.

Your diet is 95% booze, 5% something cold out of a tin.

You own more empty bottles than clean socks

You’ll put booze before absolutely anything else in your life.

22 Likes

I used to tell these war stories to drunks for laughs around a bar. It feels more cathartic to put it out there for people on the other side, doesn’t it? Man I’m happy to be sober today. Your post was an excellent reminder. Thank you. :clap:t3:

5 Likes

When I was typing that out it took me back to me doing each and one. I feel immense sorrow for that man. I can see how much misery and pain he was really in.

I do feel like I’ve lived two lives. The old me died the day I put the bottle down. Getting sober was and is my greatest achievement. We will always need reminders about how it was and how it would be if we ever went back. Fuck that :joy:

16 Likes

Definitely have done this :man_facepalming:

2 DUI’s, Had an interlock device for 3 years, hid bottles (full & empty), drank before during and after everything, lied about drinking. Finally have some sober days in the bank. Today is day 11. Let’s hope it sticks this time.

11 Likes

Hope alone never got anyone sober. What concrete steps are you willing to take to get sober?

3 Likes

all i can do is my best

2 Likes

My best got me in front of a judge and a chair in AA.

Here’s a couple of threads with positive steps people have taken to get and stay sober.

9 Likes

When you’re hitting 3 different stores as to not embarrass yourself :roll_eyes:. And using cash at some and cards at the other so it doesn’t look like you bought all that on the same day.
When you decide the motorcycle is the correct form of transportation to make the last minute emergency run to the store at 1am so that you won’t run out and have enough to get through the morning.
Watching your wife of 25 years walk out of a detox center crying, because she’s leaving you there 2 weeks prior to Xmas.

15 Likes

Swap wife with sister and it’s like reading my own story @Jasty2 :pray: Were miles and miles apart and don’t know each other but the disease is identical.

Relating and never comparing was a key lesson to learn. Thanks for your post pal. I got a lot from it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey Dan, look up on YouTube sobriety stuff; lots of things from others to help you. :wink:
Here’s one from someone who knows something about it…

10 Likes