Excuse not to drink?

Going camping this weekend with people I don’t know well and already know they have packed plenty of booze.

I don’t want to get into why I’m not drinking but want an easy out. I’m thinking of just saying I’m on antibiotics (not sure what for?!) but anyone got any other lines you rely on so as not to get into the whole ‘not drinking’ thing?

7 Likes

You can say “I’ve already had enough”
If they say they haven’t seen you drinking during that day at all, just repeat “I’ve already had enough”
I see that you are at a young age, maybe your peers too, so maybe they won’t understand, make a joke, or apply pressure, so… do you really want to be there?

Well, to be honest…“No thank you” is a full sentence and if these people are your friends, that should be enough.

I opened up to my “friends”. The ones that understood I still have in my life, the ones that were assholes about…I haven’t heard from in 1600+ days.

If you are worried, you don’t have to go camping. I “missed” a lot of things early on in my sobriety path. At the time, I thought they were significant events. To be honest, I could not list a single thing I missed today…they were actually so insignificant I can’t even remeber them.

7 Likes

Its poison.

1 Like

Take your own drink with you ginger beer or another soft drink ,just say im sticking to this thanks all the same .

4 Likes

“No thank you. I am a non-drinker.”

4 Likes

Good of you to think on front what you are going to say when “the” question pops up! :+1:
You can also say you wanna quit for a while because of your health? Ore that you have a challenge to not drink for a month?
I used the health one and after a while It changed in: I do not drink.
The few very nearby people know why I do not drink anymore: because I drank enough for the rest of my life :blush:

2 Likes

Here are some old threads on navigating boozy situations as a sober person

My experience of going to things with people I don’t know well is that they generally don’t ask if when I say I don’t drink. And if they do, or if i want to offer an explanation, I just make a joke of it… I used to drink, I don’t any more, it’s best that way :rofl: kind of thing.

It is totally normal to have anxiety over this by the way. At some point though it clicked for me that no one cares about my drinking (or not) as much as I do. As long as you’re not sitting here lecturing everyone on their behaviour, why would they?

4 Likes

There’s lots of threads on this about peoples reasoning they don’t drink

At first like others I was super hesitant to reference
My alcoholism just cause it’s a hard pill to swallow.

My friends who were my friends. Respected my decision, the ones who don’t well they aren’t my friends are they?

I said it before, my friends shouldn’t be my friends based on what’s in my cup.

Worse case scenario you tell them your changing your lifestyle and changing your diet to the Tom Brady diet or something that completely eliminates alcohol, so your already cheating on it with the food your eating you don’t want to step too far away.

If they can’t accept it, they can FRO, or if you feel uncomfortable with the situation what do you know you got COVID and can’t go camping, problem solved

3 Likes

I’ve been jamming with a new group of guys lately and they all enjoy a beer or glass of wine. They always offer me a drink, I let them know I’m good because I brought my own sparkling water.

So far so good.

3 Likes

Here’s what I do, ymmv. People I know well, know I’m an addict. Some need reminding and u have no problem anymore with that. People I don’t know so well, I say something outlandish like I gave up alcohol to devote my entire consciousness to the lizard half breed militia. Sometimes I get a chuckle sometimes just a weird look but it 100% turns off the pressure.

2 Likes

Thanks, maybe I need just to be more open about it. Sometimes I just don’t want the hassle, you know?

I’m not really fussed about going but it’s with the parents of some of my daughters friends and don’t want her to miss out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it’s much appreciated. Sorry for my slow rely, been at work all day.

Thanks for replying. I’m kind of not bothered about going but it’s with parents of my daughters friends and I don’t want her to miss out.

Life is complicated and I’m just looking for path of least resistance over the weekend!

I hope I get to +1600 days!

Sorry for my slow reply, been at work all day.

1 Like

That’s what I’ll do! Thanks

1 Like

Yep, I like this approach. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for this, I’m new to the group don’t make the most of the search function.

I think you are right, no one cares.

Cheers

1 Like

Ha!

This is the one!

Came in to say this and it seemed you had already hit the nail on the head. I went to my in laws 4th of July party. I usually get drunk enough for my wife and I both. I thought “what’s everyone going to think?” Gasp no one gave a shit. No one even really noticed. I realized no one else was really drinking and said to my brother in law, " I’m surprised everones not drinking…" he said " me too, but if no one’s gonna have one neither am I" and that was that. I realized it’s all in my head. I’m in my head. Time to get out there and do some living!!!

4 Likes

Good one :laughing:

That was another light bulb moment for me. Actually most people really don’t drink that much!

3 Likes