Hobbies and Interests

I’m still working on figuring out what my hobbies are. I spent too long with the only hobby being drinking wine. LOL

1. I’ve been taking an art class and I’m working on setting up a schedule for drawing once the class ends.
  2. I tried teaching myself guitar but it didn’t go well. I might sign up for lessons instead.
  3. I’ve been babystepping myself into meditation. So far I think I can meditate for about 5 minutes. LOL
  4. I’ve been reading a lot more than I have ever read before. So far I’m at 18 books for 2017. Most years I don’t read that much total.

I’m going on a solo road trip this weekend. I’m going to PA (Delaware Water Gap) for some hiking. I’m very excited for a little alone time in nature. I hope the weather cooperates. If not, I’ll be bringing my art supplies and just hang out at the hotel. Either way it will be nice to get away…though I really do hope for some hiking. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking of taking a painting class! I used to be pretty decent at art so I’d love to get back into it. Your post just might inspire me to do it!

Before I started drinking, I started taking violin lessons after being inspired by a really cool violin performance at a rock concert. It was so funny to see the parents of the children taking lessons looking around wondering where my kid was and their faces when they realized I was the student! Lol

But the instructor seemed to love having an adult to talk to. Good luck with the lessons if you decide to do it! Once I’m not so busy I know I’ll be pulling that violin out of the basement.

2 Likes

@Thomas_Miller1 here’s some ideas.

1 Like

A great list mash up from some old members\threads…

Exercise
Nap
Volunteer in a soup kitchen
Cinema
Video games
Walking
Learn an instrument like saxophone
Chess
Learn Russian
Go to a museum
Go to an art gallery
Go to a forrest
Cycle somewhere
Build a model airplane
Do a 5000 piece jigsaw
Learn how to make an android app
Netflix
Youtube
Build a website
Online computer gaming
Learn origami
Listen to music
Go on a date
Cook
bake
Read
Listen to music
Hike
Walks
Sculpt
Draw
Paint
Go swimming
Volunteer
Meditate
Garden
Organize
Clean
Rock hunt
Exercise
Games on my phone
Read this forum
Read about addiction
Write in here
Go to the beach
Go to the dog park
Walk my dog
Train/play with my dog
Bike ride
Thrift store/garage sale browsing
Genealogy
Color in coloring book
Get a movie
Yoga
Pilates
Watch TV
Pick blackberries
Pull weeds
Long drive
Road trip
Build sand castles
Fly a kite
Play volleyball
Explore abandoned buildings
Write/read poetry
Paint nails
Paint old furniture/ restore
Puzzle
Play yatzee
Write
Go to a town festival/farmers market
BBQ by the river
Watch motivational videos
Weave bracelets and dog collars
Go to the museum
Get yogurt
Play a video game
Shoot pool
Play Monopoly
Bingo!
Sit on a mountain top
Jog
Journal
Go to a state fair/amusement park
Talk to strangers
Act the way I want to feel
Sleep when tired
Eat when hungry
Enjoy the process
Exercise more
Pursue a passion
Volunteer
Join groups
Stay in touch
Go outside
Make nature mandalas
Notice colors
Notice tastes
Notice sounds
Am mindful
Accept that I make mistakes
Be silly- life is fun!
Choose not to take things personally
Be loving instead of worrying about getting love
Imagine my eulogy; how do I want to be remembered
Expect miracles
Let it go
Be still- enjoy solitude
Give often- Anonymously with no expectations
Keep things simple
Try new recipes
People watch
Lunch at a coffee shop in the city
Ride a ferris wheel
Window shop
Paint ceramics
Walking meditation
Dinner theater
Frisbee golf
Exploring unknown roads
Photograph nature
Wood carving
Explore old cemeteries (when a headstone was art)
Bird watching
Hacky sack
Explore antique shops
Embroidery
Uno
Scrabble
Legos
Kickboxing
Art class
Think positive
Problems only bother me as much as I allow them to
Go sledding
Jenga
Nature scavenger hunt
Kayaking

7 Likes

WOW!!! That is one hell of a list. I’ve bookmarked it, as I now need a nap :sleeping: (were naps on the list?) :thinking::joy:

2 Likes

I can’t take credit for the list, it is a compilation of a couple of lists other folks made.

I did add naps to it tho!!

1 Like

Wow, @SassyRocks I thought they were all your hobbies till I read the beginning properly! :joy::joy::joy:
I just love photography and have a few pix to share… Click the pic (self portrait) to see the gallery
Imgur

2 Likes

Oh hell no. I am not a person who needs or likes to be ‘busy’.

2 Likes

I run.
Go for long walks with my family.
Read books
Thrift shop
Slow Stitch
Adult colouring books
Self care (paint my nails, toes, etc)

I feel like I need more hobbies, as downtime is a an issue for me. When I don’t know what to do, I drink.

1 Like

Knitting? Crocheting is easier. The rhythm of a hook with yarn is comforting. I taught myself with YouTube videos. Pro tip: mark the beginning of each row with detachable stitch markers.

1 Like

Yes! I’m planning on learning to crochet soon!

1 Like

My number 1 hobby is nap lol. I’m still pretty depressed over a breakup so not up to doing much. I’m one month sober. I like to hula hoop dance. I’m also wanting to become a body piercer.

2 Likes

I love to crochet, try new recipes, read/ listen to books and podcasts, learn as much as I can about recovery, and recently I have been really into home manicures- I never did that while drinking partly because I didn’t feel I deserved it and partly because I didn’t want any extra attention brought to my shaky hands.

I love all of the lists on here- so many new things to try!

I’m attending sober sundays at black Hive crossfit. A chance to connect with others in sobriety while working out. Check out your area, they might have one.

3 Likes

I have no idea what you just said. lol

I took up watch repairing a few years ago and it’s very rewarding and only as expensive as you want to make it, there’s cheap watches on eBay and a basic set of tools can be as cheap as £15. If anyone wants to try it watch YouTube vids ‘Vintage Watch Service’ is excellent and start off on pocket watches, as they’re bigger and easier to work on (usually).

Riding motorcycles
Working on motorcycles
And vintage cars

My hobbies and interests are art, painting sometimes. Hiking, walking, meditating, reading, being outdoors in nature as much as possible, movies. Going for drives to random new places to check out. Travel. I find since I stopped drinking I’m finally getting back to some of my hobbies etc now as I lost interest in some for years.

I heard a lot about crossfit and would really like to try.

Family
Music
Podcasts
Swimming
Yoga
Hiking
Nature
Cooking
Reading
Personal development
Just being :woman_in_lotus_position:t2:

1 Like