FORUM advice for newbies (and maybe the not so new)

Hi all,

I Thought it would be useful if folks that have been using Talking Sober for a while now, could share their main tips on how to get the most out of Talking Sober here, in one place. We could then share the link when new members join.

Things like: How to navigate. Read time. Engaging with others. Time zones. Demographics. Language barrier awareness. Public view. Care with photos. Use of ‘Core’ topics. Creating new topics (purpose?). Flags. Etc.,

Basically anything you found confusing or frustrating when you first joined, or see now, as an established member. Just an idea. x

10 Likes

I agree. I did do a couple of word searches on this subject before posting the new topic, but didn’t find anything. Of course I may not have used the right key words.

@C_8 it’s a wonderful idea and I would find it helpful had I just joined. However people are not willing to do it as they won’t even search for something relevant
If the idea takes off the count me in, for now my thumbs are already hurting from tagging newbies in threads, most of which will not bother reading them

I often share a link to the FAQs thread, or one of the threads in it. I have the FAQs bookmarked. Lots of really good stuff there.

@Robin @SassyRocks @C-sun @NewPerspective @Steve92 is there a way of pinning this to the top of the forum? I saw a pinned post recently when there was an issue with the iPhone update or something.

Edit, @anon13078412 this is how you share links

Technical question - how to link?

Easier on a web browser than on the app.

2 Likes

You see if I knew how to do this then I wouldn’t have spent time I couldn’t really spate constantly tagging new members in helpful threads

1 Like

Approach the forum with honesty and sincerity, quality not quantity in what you post , don’t spam the place with empty platitudes, know where you can add value and where you can’t, don’t project unrealistic expectations on others, be patient, use the search button, listen to help people offer. Do this and you’ll get the most out of the place.

I personally have found it difficult to be here recently because of the way the forum is used by a tiny minority. I know this is my problem (as long as people dont break the forum rules who am I to judge), but it is grating. Im not surprised a lot of regular posters have stopped recently. There is a delicate balance to the forum that can be easily shaken by misuse by a few.

5 Likes

I understand that and agree with you. A large number are well enough though.
Do you think that this thread if filled with links to the other threads and things that have helped us would have helped you at that time.
I’m happy to spend time helping to compile what I can and bump it up daily. I just wonder if it will not still overwhelm people.
Thanks for your insight on this @Jane.c

One thing that has always bothered me about trying to get people to read older stuff is the lack of interaction. When a newcomer walks into a meeting, don’t people give them their time and personal attention? Don’t they personally answer questions they’ve answered a hundred times before? Isn’t it that personal touch that keeps them coming back? Shouldn’t we do the same, and keep then coming back?

I in no way think it’s wrong to guide people to existing resources, quite the opposite in fact, but shouldn’t we also hold their hand a bit in the beginning? What kept me here was that people wanted to personally help me. I was over 6 months clean when I started using this app, and was looking for some personal love and care.

On the other hand, I absolutely get the frustration of the same thing over and over. But, if it keeps them coming back, well, for me that’s more important.

Not trying to jump down on anyone, just something that’s bothered me about this debate for a long time.

Love you all!

11 Likes

I’m with you @Meggers. If people just wanted to search for answers about alcoholism, they could Google it. What makes this site different I’d the human interaction and the personalized guidance new people receive. So what if somebody brings up that they don’t know what to do at their first party since being sober, or is it ok to drink near beer for the millionth time, because it is relative to that different person in a different situation. Everyone deserves to have their story heard and their questions answered, just like people did when the oldheads were new to this app. Of course, we value the opinions of the veterans of this site more than they know. :+1:

3 Likes

Uhmnn… I was just suggesting you post your individual tips on how best to use TS. That includes ‘just post what you want, where you want’

Wasn’t expecting a debate (perhaps I didn’t word it right), but it’s all good.

5 Likes

I agree with this. As always, it’s not one way or the other, we need a bit of a mix :blush:

I tend to link to posts that I personally find useful, where I know people have said what I think but in a better way than I could :joy:

I also share my personal experience and that means I do end up repeating myself a bit, but I just try and jump in with something if I think it might be useful.

2 Likes

Something that I think is really important here is to read. Read, read and read some more! It helped me get a feel for the forum and the vibe. It also helped me to understand that even though on the face of it all our lives look quite different, there’s so much we have in common and we can all learn from each other.

Also it gets pretty busy here, so I find it helpful to have a few threads to hang out in and comment on, you get to know people a bit that way.

And finally, while reaching out and asking for help is obviously a massive part of what this forum is all about, there’s something really lovely about being able to share your experience and offering help to others. As above we can all learn from each other, wherever we are on our sober journeys we all have something useful to offer.

5 Likes

Such a good point. It’s good to be helpful where we can be but none of are responsible for fixing everything!

3 Likes

I think you may be misunderstanding the point, this isnt Intended to replace engaging with new people or to replace the giving of guidance it is simply an attempt to provide a whole plethora of tips, guidance and knowledge and letting them know that it is here.
Most of this cannot actually be found by googling, the intention of this is to make these people aware that it is all here if and when they are ready to read and learn from it.
No one has said ---- right let’s put all this out there and then we don’t have to discuss it in person with them. As for guidance when requested it will be provided as it always has been, in the same manner that is allways has been.
The simple fact is that there may well come a time when a new member thinks back and fancies a read, for that time it is all here. And another simple fact no new member is going to feel comfortable asking the hundreds of questions for which the answers are provided here.
It’s a backup for if someone is in the mood to do some reading.
I would ask you to see how I have engaged with lots of new members these past few days, it is easy enough for you to find.
I welcome them, told them that we are always here to answer questions and provide support when needed. I then tagged them in all these threads and advised them that they are worthy of their time didn’t reading them.
@Meggers and @Jfrat that we the intention of this, not for it to act as any kind of replacement for the normal service provided here .
Have a good day folks :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It actually is already pinned to the top of the forum. :hugs: And I agree, it is a very informative thread.

@anon13078412, I wasnt responding to anything you posted. You always have great advice and engage people appropriately. Some had mentioned they were tired of seeing the same questions and they should use the search option to find their answers. That’s all.

1 Like

Ahhh! I just went and checked TS via the ‘Sober Time’ App, and yup, there it is!

I connect via the website, and don’t see it tagged here.

1 Like

Oh weird, when I am logged in on the app, it doesn’t show up like the iPhone update one did :thinking:

Edit, @Robin can you see why that might be the case?

1 Like

Well @C_8, as you know, many things turn into a debate. :rofl: There are literally 20,000 members from all over the world here…tho only about 300 at a time that are engaged and posting.

I often suggest people read old threads or do a search. I cannot stress enough that for me in the beginning READING on here was the start to every day. I hardly contributed at all, but I read a lot. For others, they enjoy the interaction or community and so they post a lot. We all come here with our own ways of learning and growing.

Something I have also seen over the years I have been here, as time goes on, newer members start getting some good time and start engaging more. Then other new members come on. You will particularly see this as the holidays and new year approach. It gets very busy with new people and old questions. It isn’t for the old timers to answer and guide eternally…newer people take up the bulk of that as they also become long time contributing members. Does that make sense?

We all contribute or don’t based on our own internal make up and needs.

Also, there is the discobot tutorial people often find when new or reading the FAQ for Discourse, which is different than the Forum FAQ.

4 Likes

Well, I can’t speak to where or how it shows up. I only know it IS pinned. :grinning: The rest is above my pay grade. :hugs:

2 Likes