New and day one sober any tips?

I’m on day one sober and I’m doing my best after countless attempts at this. I’ve joined this to help my road to sobriety because it hasn’t worked with the people around me. I need sober leadership. :heart:

7 Likes

You will find sober leadership in AA :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome Kaitlyn! First I’d like to congratulate you for coming here to TS! That’s a great step and you should be proud of yourself. I have 130 days in today. As for tips, I would read, read READ and read again. Soak up all the knowledge and wisdom people are giving you. Post when you need/want too. Listen to others as they’ve been in your shoes and they are only trying to help. I check in on here atleast once or twice a day. I use a lot of podcasts if you download the stitcher app on your device, type in sober or recovery and a slew of stuff will come up. Maybe find new hobbies to stay busy or explore old ones? Relax, rest and put yourself first as you deserve it. I wish you nothing but continued luck on your journey. Again, welcome and don’t be a stranger. We all have your back!

3 Likes

Hi Kaitlin and welcome. Congratulations on your first day it’s a big step. I found this ap and the people on it invaluable when I first joined it. Have a wander about the site these people here are the best in the world because they are all going through what you are going through. I’m on day 25 of not drinking or smoking and these people here have really helped me along the way. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

Understand the battle turns on a single drink. This is the drink that matters…the first drink. Say “no” to this drink and there can’t be a second or third or eighth. You win when you say no, 100%.

If you say “yes”, you lose, with the only question remaining is how badly you lose. Will you have the second or third or eighth? Better to lose by the least amount possible. If you slip, own it. Don’t make excuses like “I was ____”. Excuses are lies we tell ourselves. Better to say "I screwed up. I am recommitting, and I will do ______ this time, in addition to what seemed to work before.

Decide to be better, and then work to be better. The action words here are “decide” and “work”. Every day, decide to be better, and work to be better.

Sober is better. Start here.

Welcome. I’m Yoda-Stevie. It’s been 747 days since I last said “yes” to the drink that matters. I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome :blush:

Some good advice here already and I’m sure there will be plenty more! I have this bookmarked because it has links to lots of helpful threads. Some of them are fairly old (so the people on them might not be active here any more) but there is some good wisdom there.

4 Likes

I’m sorry everyone I’m actually not a alcoholic my addiction is to meth I didn’t prosses that in my post I apologize :sweat:

This is still a place for you. Here is all kind of addicts. And we have all a lot in comment. Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome! I’m Day 2 sober myself. Found a lot of advice and support here already! Keep coming back, it works if you work it!

Mine is to opiates/heroin. What they’re saying is still true regardless of the DOC.