Self Check in / My Story

Day 1.

My main motivation and inspiration is my wife. At the weekend I convinced myself ill only have 4 glasses of wine max. I should know, these are always lies and once i get started, i can’t stop myself.

I drank to oblivion, made my wife drive me to the shops late at night when i ran out. They were closed so I got a bottle from the local pub.

At midnight I took some drugs and my wife was so worried about me that she stayed up till 5am with me to make sure basically, that I didnt die.

I dont know what ive done to find someone like her and i certainly dont deserve her. She is an absolute angel. I feel so much guilt and shame.

Ive tried multiple times to get clean by myself and failed.

This is me putting my hands up in surrender saying I cant do this alone and I cant carry on like this anymore.

That is the last time I drink. I won’t do so again. Ill keep checking in till my 10,000th day sober.

I will beat this disease, for myself - and my angel of a wife. One day at a time, fighting, crawling if I have to.

We can do this together, united we are strong, alone I am weak :heart:

17 Likes

Welcome Teef.
Today’s a great day for day 1. You sound like my wife. She’s just going to have 2 glasses of wine. Ya right. Never happens.
Well, I’m glad you found us.
I been working a lot on surrendering lately. Seems like I have to do it over and over again. I’m learning that’s ok. As long as I stay sober.

Have a good read around.
Join in when your comfortable.
Here’s a great thread if you’re interested.

This is a great sober community to get and give support.
We are all just trying to not pick up our DOC today.
One Day At A Time.
:pray:t2::heart::hugs:

6 Likes

Thank you so much. Im really determined to so this and hope i can inspire / be inspired along the way

2 Likes

Gratitude has been my strongest tool. I start every morning right here.

Actively writing it out every morning. Reading it from others. Reading it when I’m struggling.
I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober. I got nothing when I’m drinking. Not a damn thing.
I think there’s an open spot on that thread for one more. :blush: Great bunch of people on it.
:pray:t2::heart:
Edit: it’ll retrain your brain when you do it often enough.

3 Likes

Welcome @Teefmeister this is an amazing sober community. Im glad you found us. For me, this community and regular AA meetings are the main reason i have over 1 yr sober from weed and alcohol after a 20yr addiction that just kept getting progressively worse.

Id suggest you get rid of any alcohol in the home. Write down all the ways alcohol prevents you from living your best life and refer back to it. Cravings will come… make a plan. For me the key was distraction early on. I would go to aa meetings at witching hours which for me were right after work. I checkin reading and writing here. Be honest with your wife about your intentions.

It gets harder before it gets easier. But the freedom and happiness sobriety brings is 1000x worth it

5 Likes

Welcome to the family.

4 Likes

Welcome Teef. It sounds like your wife is your world. My wife is my world too. I couldn’t have gotten to where I am now without her in my life. I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am now in my recovery without her support.

For me, joining a recovery program in Sexaholics Anonymous is making a huge difference for me. You might try joining an Alcoholics Anonymous group. You can find your next meeting here:

I am finding my recovery in my program and you may find it works for you too. The only way to know is to try. Go to a meeting and then come back here and tell us about it!

2 Likes

I think if I fail to go sober this try I will give AA a go. I feel like I’ve got a support network through a couple of apps now!

2 Likes

Hello Day 5 - First Weekend!

It’s Friday, no more work, really tough week at work, the sun is shining, and it’s verrrrry difficult to say no to a beer.

In my head, I almost convinced myself, “Hey, maybe I could get some codeine instead as it’s not alcohol!” But that’s just me chasing the high, the escape from reality, that dopamine hit as always.

I won’t give into the cravings, and I’m going to go get a takeaway.

If I have a real full stomach, then drinking or taking codeine is way less appealing because I’d struggle to get drunk or feel anything off the codeine.

First proper weekend sober, so cravings are to be expected however I’m feeling positive still and even better now I have explained my feelings and made a plan!

2 Likes

Just a suggestion - sounds like you have a plan with the takeaway - make a plan beyond that all the way til you go to bed. Also, think of something to look forward to in the morning like a cup of coffee and the feeling of accomplishment and clarity for staying sober. You got this.

2 Likes

Are you looking for advice or encouragement? The first time I got sober I had plenty of encouragement. What I didn’t have was the willingness to listen to people who had gotten, and stayed, sober

1 Like

Welcome!

Yes to making and keeping plans to stay sober. The first few weeks are the most challenging.

Weekends are a whole new experience sober. And they are like actual breaks from work! They are about twice as long sober because you gain the hours of sobriety and the hours of hangover.

So making a plan about how you will spend all that time helps a lot.

Time on this app helps

Over my last 18 months of sobriety I have been able to bring more hobbies back into my life. I do better at keeping up my house and garden. I sleep better. I spend more quality time with my husband and other family members.

Reading about addiction helped me learn a lot and I encourage people to learn as much as you can, especially while you are learning how to live without your drug of choice.

I wish you the best! Check in here often!