Sleep, I need Sleep!

Today I am 40 days no alcohol. Which I thought I’d be feeling really jazzed about, except I’m so tired I can barely think.
My sleep. Is. Terrible. I have rarely had issues sleeping in the past (falling asleep was no problem, sure I had lots of hangovers but I never woke up throughout the night). Since January 3rd when I decided to stop drinking, my sleep has been anything but restful. It takes me forever to fall asleep, hours and hours. My mind is racing all the time. I hear songs being repeated in my head over and over and I can’t turn it off. Even if I’m exhausted, this is what it’s like for me, almost every night, more so when I have to work the next day. I share a bed with my husband, but most nights I am grabbing my pillow and going downstairs to the spare bedroom in the basement as I toss and turn all night. Today I woke up with a pounding lack of sleep headache, and I have to work (I work in a kitchen, it’s a physical job). I just want to cry. I want to give up. I want sleep. Any advice would be helpful, I don’t do the phone an hour before bed, I wear blue light glasses, I read, I’ve done the teas. I’ve tried melatonin. Sometimes I try a bit of marijuana right before bed (sorry if that’s triggering to anyone, I have never smoked it during the day, and I don’t ever use in exsess, it’s more of a sleep aid, always has been). Even when my eyes are rolling back in my head or I fall asleep watching TV, if I wake up at all, I’m up with racing thoughts.
I’m just so tired, and I’m so frustrated. I fear my bed, and bedtime at this point. I thought it would get better.

7 Likes

Oh my, sounds very frustrating indeed. I can relate as healthy healing sleep has been elusive for me for many years.

I put together a few threads you may find of interest. Please know you are not alone. :hugs: With racing mind I would avoid melatonin or valerian…these tend to make my mind busy (may be different for you tho!). Nightly meditations in bed may help ease your mind a bit.

Here are some threads to take a look at…

I hope you can crack your sleep code. :hugs:

7 Likes

Hi Natasha, first: that sucks. So much. I feel for you - struggling with sleep is agony.

This is maybe a little obvious to say - and I’m not trying to be unhelpful at all! - but sleep is a bit like needing to pee: it’s just as impossible to not sleep as it is to not pee. Our bodies do it; it’s built into our biology.

What I mean in saying that is the problem with sleep is often in our expectations: how it feels to me, what I think it should feel like; even down to what I think it will do for me (for example, in handling headaches, pain, restedness).

I’m kinda doing my analytical thing here and so again I want to say: not getting good sleep totally sucks. :pensive:

Our bodies are so sensitive to a whole network, a whole web of things that influence how we feel, what we worry about, what stresses and preoccupies us, etc etc. Drugs didn’t make those things go away, and neither does sleep (though it’s important in the overall balance of healthy life of course!).

Is it possible there’s some underlying stressors or concerns or imbalances that may be contributing here?

Sending hugs & caring thoughts :hugs:

5 Likes

Hey, just keep in mind that your body will tell you when it needs sleep, you wont die from lack of it, it will just bs uncomfortable. I struggled with sleep myself when i got sober. Ive tried many different breathing exercises and meditation and what worked best for me was the US Navys method, i use it every night to fall asleep. It works really well for stopping the racing thoughts so you can go to sleep. You should be able to find it on google. If not feel free to message me. But also some exercise before bed is helpful even if its just a few pushups or situps or cardio, after take a hot showet and that shoild help relax you enough to fall asleep. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Avoid melatonin! Avoid all supplements.

1 Like

Hey, how are you doin? 🙋

I find chamomile or sleepy time tea relaxes me. I have a mug or two an hour or so before bed. Valerian root helps me as well.

1 Like

For why?

1 Like

Keep going!!!
My sleep was terrible for months until it calmed…and then THE BEST SLEEP EVER HAPPENED!!!
It is your body adjusting to getting actual sleep. Give your body time to get used to the new pattern.

I took OTC sleep aids when I had to get some shuteye.
I am on day 270 and do not use them anymore.

5 Likes

I’ve tried some of the suggestions here, thank you everyone. Just woke up from the worst sleep yet. :sob: I had to get up and watch TV this time in the middle of the night, the racing thoughts are out of control. I don’t even think about anything bad, my mind just thinks of everything all at once when I’m trying to go to sleep. This is just something I’m going to have to tough out. I don’t feel too bad this morning, so maybe my body is getting what it needs, even though it feels like less than I should be getting.

3 Likes

Hi Natasha,

I’m on 35 days and I’m the same. I’m also a chef, but thankfully I’m not working at the moment, as I don’t think I’d have the energy. My mind is also battered. I wonder if we have a touch of withdrawal still going on. I’ll be following this thread closely.

1 Like

This is my struggle too… I work long physically draining hours and with little to no sleep im exhausted. I dont even sleep in my bed I sleep in the living room… And the only thing that helps me at all is Nyquil… And im sure thats not healthy. I’m on day 38 so hopefully we are both xoming out if this soon.

1 Like

The only thing that helps me is Pregablin x600mg. That’s the start of a new addiction though, so it’s not ideal.

Its beyond frustrating.

It can take time for various sleep hygeine practices to become a healing pattern. Also, I don’t know your age, but when our hormones begin to fluctuate, it can wreak havoc on our sleep, so there can be a physical component at play, in addition to stress or healing.

Things I have found most helpful…

• moving my body to exhaustion during the day (for me this is in running or bicycling, used to be fitness classes as well)

• using a sleep mask and ear plugs

• guided meditations before bed (with headphones) to help quiet the mind

• a warm soak in hot epsom salts before bed

• no caffeine or chocolate after 3pm

• if taking meds, could they be causing?

• prescribed medical marijuana gel tabs work for me, tho I don’t particularly like taking them, plus it is expensive

• meditation / yin yoga during the day to help relax me

• journaling and / or reading if I cannot quiet my mind at night

• most recently I ended up getting a prescription for a ‘kicked up benadryl’ as my doctor calls it. It definitely is helping me sleep ‘better’ and quiets my mind. It is called hydroxyzine / vistaril if you are interested in reading about it.

I hope you can find what helps you quiet your mind. I know it can be a wretched feeling when our minds are chattering. :heart:

3 Likes

Try doing some exercise before bed and then a hot shower, also a good way to quiet your mind to help you fall asleep is to lay down, close your eyes, and take slow deep breaths in through your nose and then SLOWLY breathe out your mouth and while doing that in your head just keep repeating the words “dont think”. I know it sounds dumb but it works for me.

2 Likes

You may also want to see your primary care doctor. That’s always a good option as well. Sending you peaceful rest :pray:

Good job on the 40 days as well!!:heart:

1 Like

I barely made it through my shift at the restaurant today, man oh man. Kitchen life stinks when you can’t sleep. I was thinking this could be a leftover withdrawal symptom in a way, my body was so used to staying up till the wee hours drinking, that maybe it’s still trying to do that, but sober. Frustrating for sure. Great job on your 35 days!

I rarely sleep in my bed either. It’s various couches and the spare bedroom for me. Maybe I’ll try the floor soon. Sending you good sleep vibes, and great job on your 38 days!

I did try the “don’t think” last night. I ended up thinking about not thinking. :joy: I may need some practice with this technique!