Staying away from marijuana (ADVICE NEEDED)

Hello there.
I am all new to this but bear with me.
Ive come to the toughest decision of my life and that is i want to be sober from marijuana (cannabis) ive been a heavy smoker since the age of 13 and im now 27 years of age and have smoked possibly 5-10 joints a day everyday. Its getting to the point now where its effecting me and my family plus work. My mind cant think straight and i can only hold a conversation going for a few moments before forgetting what im actually talking about.I have no memory of anything plus i cant focus for no longer than 10 minutes on anything. Plus i always have no energy to do anything which is hard as im a hands on person and loves to work on cars and bikes and its now getting to the point where smoking marijuana is taking over everything plus i would hate to think of the amount of money what i have spent on it and every time i go to get some… I get this deep feel of regret and why have i wasted my time and money on this. My fiancee who has been with me for 10 years through all of it has stuck by side all through and i just feel its time to grow up and look after her now.
As ive smoked for so long from a young age i there for cant remember who i actually am. Im currently 5 days sober from it and im not going to lie… its tough but i know the first few weeks are the toughest so i am just shooting to get by that with no hickups.
Im wishing that i can keep this up because wow what a reward if i can make it to the other side.
Thank you all for your time.
Harry

11 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober and welcome to your life without cannabis Harry! You made it to 5 days without using which is great! Since this sobriety thing a one day at a time affair I am sure you can make it through the next one too. Etcetera.

Of course you can do with some help. We all do. You already made it here. Not going it all alone, but instead seeking the support of your peers, is a major help. Read, write, support and get supported. It helps so much.

Here’s some stuff to read. Hope to see / hear / read more from you. Wishing you all success in your sober journey!

1 Like

If your smoking weed with tobacco it’s actually the physical nicotine withdrawal that’s the hard part, I literally had a breakdown when I quit both after 30 plus years of smoking but the psychological effects of the weed soon wear off and after a few weeks of no nicotine things get easier. When I say soon I don’t mean overnight bc your probably going to have weeks of not sleeping properly and some pretty crazy dreams. Like all addictions the problem is within us and even after 2 years of no weed my mind still tells me I want it, it’s just how we are built I’m afraid, but it’s going to become just a passing thought instead of a 24 hour obsession. Lozenges or patches for nicotine will help if you need it but if you just smoked blunts (weed only) gum, suck a sweet and long walks will distract you. Well done on making a life changing decision and I wish you well on your journey.

3 Likes

Well i know where your coming from. I commend you for taking the steps to get clean, i started smoking weed when i was 15 years old. I swore i would always be a pot smoker, even when i was made to quit because my children were involved i still snuck around and did it, my addiction to weed definitely was the reason i tried harder stuff, i had beeb to treatment before but it didnt work i tried smoking k2 to still get the effect without getting caught that shit fucked me up, however 23 years later i ll be 39 in January i can proudly say that i now have 11 months clean, off meth and weed, the first few weeks were rough as hell, i couldnt sleep all i dreamed about was getting high, but trust me when i say that as long as you persevere you will be successful, it took me going to treatment, detoxing and actually taking my recovery seriously, it helps to not go through this alone when your feeling like using. Log onto here, even if you dont feel like doing much make yourself do it anyway, you know you can function without weed, keep going no matter how rough it might be , it does get better and easier my friend

4 Likes

Its important to seek outside support from a place like Talking Sober or elsewhere if you are struggling.

3 Likes

That is so amazing!!! Try going to some narcotics anonymous meetings even if you just listen to them over zoom. They talk about this topic allll the time and it’s been so helpful for me to go and get insight and help in that way through them. You are not alone and you don’t have to do this alone. It’s a huge change and can bring many challenges no matter how badly we want it. Glad you are on the app and reaching out, you’re doing all the right things. Hang in there one day at a time it sounds like you have a great family who is very supportive of this change. That’s so special and you are very blessed to have that. Hope you’re doing well and glad you have the awareness and the will to do this!!! We’re badass MOFOS lol this shit isn’t easy so be proud of yourself and take care of yourself!!! I am proud of you!!!

2 Likes