Day 1 of my new sober life

Today is day one for me being sober. I was a heavy drinker for years. When I was working full time, I would be a weekend binge drinker. Now that I have retired, my binge drinking was a daily thing. I never got too out of control, but some physical side effects such as high blood pressure started happening. After my last drink last night, I sat in the dark and just cried. I knew it was something I could not do anymore. I poured out 15 bottles of whiskey in the sink. I can only do this one day at a time.
Thanks for listening.
Darren

28 Likes

Hi Darren and welcome.
I found this community to be so helpful and supportive. Good luck on your journey, we’re with you :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Welcome and bravo for your choice to pick your health!! How are you feeling? Sounds like you may have more time to enjoy other aspects of life - what will you do with this gift??

2 Likes

Thank you Runner4
I’m a little shaky today. I made a point to go out of the house and stay busy. I’m very glad I made this choice and reached out. I’m going to enjoy getting healthy again

Darren

4 Likes

Hey Darren
Congratulations on your day 1. I am also retired. Been retired awhile now. I was drinking most of it away. I thought fat drunk and hungover is no way to go through my bronze years. I found this app almost 4 years ago.

Being very active on here along with my knowledge of addiction through my grown up children and gratitude I’ve been able to stay sober one day at a time.
Stick around.
Ask questions.
Join in when you’re comfortable.
The lights are always one and someone is always will to lend a hand.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Thank you very much Dazercat, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

My first 3 years I never missed starting my day right here with some other very grateful people. Writing my list or reading what others are grateful for.

I’m still grateful every day I don’t drink. And now I’ve retrained my brain and practice gratitude without even thinking about it daily.
I’m sure there’s room for one more. Bring your own coffee though.
:pray:t2::heart::coffee:

6 Likes

Hello Darren and welcome to the group. Here you will find a lot of help!! Congrats on day one of being sober.

1 Like

Glad to hear that you went out and are staying busy!! Every day will feel better and better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Darren. You will find this to be a very supportive community. Lots to see so take your time and look around. I really like what Eric shared with you.
strong textI’m still grateful every day I don’t drink. And now I’ve retrained my brain and practice gratitude without even thinking about it daily.
I’m sure there’s room for one more. Bring your own coffee though.

Wish you all the best and I applaud your courageous decision to alter the course of your life. Blessed be :raised_hands::pray:

1 Like

Welcome here, best decision you made, go for it one day at a time.
It is a great community,many wonderful people they are every time giving an advice or only a outlook by they own experiences and thoughts.
For me it is an everyday must have to feel strong and proud of so many people are worldwide in a good way day by day.
Greetings from Germany on a sober Saturday :snowman_with_snow::snowflake::candle:

1 Like